What games are you playing now?

Well, I'm not sure what you are expecting, but the textures have significantly changed and improved. The building textures on Liberty Island, for instance, look MUCH more detailed. They don't have any advanced effects, though - at least not as far as I can see.

But I'd say you can immediately see the difference no matter what.

I didn't install the NVTextures to a separate folder - I just replaced the existing ones. Not sure if that would help you, but otherwise I'm stumped as to what it can be.

Oh, and if you're serious about playing it - I highly recommend the Shifter mod - as it contains some nice gameplay additions. Most importantly, it rewards XP for appropriate actions ala Deus Ex HR. Meaning, you get more XP the more "skilled" you play.

Heh.. it turns out I overlooked something.

I changed the texture folder path line in the deusex.ini file per the directions, but I made the mistake of only changing the file in the installation folder, not the one in my Documents folder.

I saw the difference as soon as I restarted the game again. Big improvement on certain textures.. especially wood and stone, and a lot of objects in the environment. I wish they had touched up the character models as well, but it's a nice upgrade overall.

I googled that Shifter mod. I like what it does with the XP bonus's, but I was disappointed to see that it also adds fan-made weapons, etc to the game. It changes a little too much for my taste.

Nice. A new vision - but only for those who have direktx 10 - which means that win xp users are left out. Nice.

To put it more cynically : "Ah, those bloody damn win xp users can still use the old resultions - who cares for them ? They'll be soon extinct anyway !"

(To make it clear : I have bought Deus Ex 1 several years ago on a flea market. Still belongs to my list of "to be played".)

Since I am back at the university I have no time to really play games on my own. When this happens I actually think it's fun to catch up on gaming history by watching playthroughs on youtube. I might be the only one who find this as fascinating and interesting as I do.

Recently I have tried to learn more about the history of Nintendo, a system which I confess have had very little experience with. I did play through Zelda I and II, but that's about it. So I have watched playthrough with Ninja Gaiden I-III, Castlevania I-III and a couple of Metroids. I usually go chronologically and when available I look at the games released on other platforms as well. While watching I read up on the history, including controversies, as I go along. While most of the 8bit NES games have given me a "meh" feeling, the Gameboy Advance game Metroid Fusion was really cool, complete with a really exciting storyline.

When it comes to metroid, the game to play is Super Metroid. I found Metroid 1 to be good, but it has not aged very well, super metroid on the other hand still remains one of the all time greatest 2d games. Other classic NES games of some importance worth checking out are:
Probotector (Contra)
Batman
Shadowgate
Blaster Master
Bubble bobble
Mega man
Mr. Gimmick (for its amazing sound chip)
Journey to Silius (yes I do love Sunsoft games... amazing sound)
Kid Icarus
Gradius

Well, I happened to (nearly) miss the NES phase of gaming, going straight from Atari 2600 to GB to SNES. Super Mario World, Super Turrican, Mr. Nutz, Wolfenstein 3D (yessir!), Sky Blazer and Zool (of Amiga fame) were among my SNES favorites. Super Metroid was cool, but I preferred Super Turrican by far.

I tend to look at popular titles with plenty of sequels just to see how they evolve. :)

For Metroid I already watched a playthrough of Metroid, Return of Samus on GameBoy color, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. The last one was a step up from even Super Metroid thanks to having a unusually well written story for these kind of games. I have Metroid Prime 1-2 om the GameCube so I might try those later. Now Metroid Zero :)

While Metroid fusion does have a rather decent story, from a gameplay point of view it lags behind super metroid. It is also more obviously linear. When you play Super Metroid, you never feel like you are forced to go in any particular direction, the game is just so darn good at making the right direction the obvious direction, without the player even realizing it. Very few (any?) games have managed to do this as well as Super Metroid.

Metroid Prime is a good series, with 2 being my favourite (it is a bit harder than one, and less railroaded than 3)

Super Turicane is very different from Metroid, it is more along the line of a straight forward platformer (a good one, I might add), and is not really comparable.

Oh, and don't miss out on the later Castlevania games. Symphony of the night is just amazing.

Well, I know that Metroid and Turrican differ a lot - gameplaywise-, but I'm a sucker for atmosphere, and I liked the Super Turrican atmosphere better (talking about the first one - No. 2 was different). Looking at it, I happen to love platformers, don't I.

Are you guys trying to have a conversation about the Metroid series without me? ;)

Been a fan of Metroid since the original, and I've played and finished every title except Metroid Prime 3.

Metroid Fusion wasn't bad for a Gameboy title, but I definitely have to agree with Fnord, Super Metroid was the pinnacle of the series while it was still in 2D, and none of the other 2D titles were even close, imo.

The Metroid Prime series is very good as well. I liked the first one a lot more than MP2 though. I've never gotten around to finishing MP3 for some reason, and it remains the only Metroid title I haven't completed. Last year's Metroid: Other M was sort of a throwback to Super Metroid in play style, but wasn't nearly as memorable to me as SM.

I used to be a big fan of the Castlevania games as well, but that series really went downhill in terms of quality in recent years.

It is very possible that Super Metroid was a better game, but since I do not have the time to actually play them on my own I found Metroid Fusion more entertaining to watch.

I actually own Metroid Prime 1-2, I bought them together with the Resident Evil series but never got around to play them. They have been on my to-play list for quite awhile. However, GameCube emulation on PC is growing better and better and I might play it in Dolphin just for the higher resolutions, antialiasing and anisotropic filthering.

So far it seems that NES were very focused on gameplay rather than story. Granted, it was an 8-bit console, but I am surprised it's carried on to the earlier SNES titles as well, including Super Metroid and Castlevania IV, the latter having even less story than Castlevania III.

The Metroid Prime series is very good as well. I liked the first one a lot more than MP2 though. I've never gotten around to finishing MP3 for some reason, and it remains the only Metroid title I haven't completed. Last year's Metroid: Other M was sort of a throwback to Super Metroid in play style, but wasn't nearly as memorable to me as SM.
One of the main issues with Other M, in my opinion, was the story that they forced in. The gameplay was quite good, the bosses were (like in all Metroid games from Super metroid up to today) really good and some of the puzzles were quite nice. The story just detracted from the experience, with a rather uninteresting plot and poor voice acting (it was not a total trainwreck though). If they had made the story less intrusive, then I think the game would have been one of the better Metroids (but the level design would still be inferior to Super Metroid).

I used to be a big fan of the Castlevania games as well, but that series really went downhill in terms of quality in recent years.
I've played most Castlevania games up to, and including, Aria of sorrow, and found the 2d CVs from Symphony of the night to Aria of sorrow to be the best ones. Are the 2d CVs going downhill, or are they just trying to force 3d into the series yet again? (the only modern console that I own is a Wii, and I own no handhelds other than a GBA and an old grey brick (GB), so I don't know much about what is going on on the console side of things).

I have with great interest followed the evolution of Castlevania up to Castlevania 64. I have been considering to pick up some of the more recent titles to play on my own.

Castlevania I looks super hard. I wouldn't have the patience to get through a game like that today. The various remakes and upgrades for Castlevania I was interesting, especially Akumajō Dracula X68000 which had an amazing background to the game with alot of cool stuff going on. The Arcade Version looked good but the character look like he got something stuck up his behind.

The various GameBoy titles were a bit boring. Cool with a female character in Legends. Kid Dracula was a bit funny considering what a weird offshoot it was compared to the other titles. The WII remake of Adventure (Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth) look really good though even if it didn't seem to have much related to the gameboy version.

The change from Castlevania I to Simon's Quest was interesting. I have seen a couple of reviewers trashing Castlevania II completely, including Angry Videogame Nerd and the perhaps even funnier Egoraptor. It's interesting how complaints over dumbification applies even to a such old title.

I found a really great playthrough of Castlevania III by CornshaqGaming that felt like a historylesson. This is exactly the kind of videos I search for when it comes to these old games.

While the genesis game Castlevania: Bloodlines was a bit "meh", the real step up was Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, the Wii Virtual Console version (Dracula X was crap). The anime cutscenes, multiple characters and an actual storyline was a great leap forward. The PSP remake Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles was even greater and one of the better 3d remakes I have seen of a 2d title. The portraits look good, the voiceacting was great and the 3d was well done while keeping gameplay faithful to the original title.

I agree with Symphony of the Night being a peak of the series before taking a complete nosedive with Castlevania 64. Not only do Castlevania 64 look horrible it doesn't look fun to play either.

I did watch Metroid Zero as well, and now plan to actually play the Metroid Prime series. I decided to skip the GameCube version even if owning it and aim for the trilogy on Wii instead. Seems like a good remake and one of the primary reasons I skipped it initially was the joypad control.

One of the main issues with Other M, in my opinion, was the story that they forced in. The gameplay was quite good, the bosses were (like in all Metroid games from Super metroid up to today) really good and some of the puzzles were quite nice. The story just detracted from the experience, with a rather uninteresting plot and poor voice acting (it was not a total trainwreck though). If they had made the story less intrusive, then I think the game would have been one of the better Metroids (but the level design would still be inferior to Super Metroid.)

The story was somewhat forgettable, but I had more of an issue with the gameplay. I don't feel their attempt to mix 2D elements with 3D worked very well, and would have prefered that they had gone fully one way or the other. I also thought the game was far too easy.

Castlevania I looks super hard. I wouldn't have the patience to get through a game like that today. The various remakes and upgrades for Castlevania I was interesting, especially Akumajō Dracula X68000 which had an amazing background to the game with alot of cool stuff going on. The Arcade Version looked good but the character look like he got something stuck up his behind.

The various GameBoy titles were a bit boring. Cool with a female character in Legends. Kid Dracula was a bit funny considering what a weird offshoot it was compared to the other titles. The WII remake of Adventure (Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth) look really good though even if it didn't seem to have much related to the gameboy version.

The change from Castlevania I to Simon's Quest was interesting. I have seen a couple of reviewers trashing Castlevania II completely, including Angry Videogame Nerd and the perhaps even funnier Egoraptor. It's interesting how complaints over dumbification applies even to a such old title.

The first Castlevania was indeed pretty hard, but was satisfying to finish. I remember it was the 2nd game I ever purchased for the NES.. the first being Ghost and Goblins. It was also the best NES Castlvania imo. Simon's Quest was enjoyable, but not as good overall, and Castlevania III was more frustrating than fun.

Castlevania IV was one of the first SNES games I purchased, and I thought it was the best in the series since the original. Bloodlines wasn't bad, but I never finished it for some reason. I never really played any of the Gameboy titles other than just to try them. I'm not a fan of the Gameboy in general, and none of them struck me as being particularly special.

I haven't been impressed with any of the games since Symphony of the Night, and the most recent title on PS3 was simply terrible imo.

The title "Castlervania" never fails to leave an odd impression within me.

It sound so much ... like "Milkmanufacturia" ...

Just reading the topic not the content as it is too substantial to keep up with but ATM I am having a slight Mystery Case Files addiction. All but Prime Suspects. Although I have played through that one again too.

I also started to play Alice Madness Returns but cannot get past the lava/Teapot/Doormouse/Platform place. So I have stopped playing it sadly. I wish it had a noclip so I could just ghost over it but alas no cheats that are useable for that issue.

Lastly, and of course, I am ALWAYS in Guild Wars because I can run quick missions SOLO and succeed and still be there for my baby when she needs me. :)

I peek into City Of Heroes once in a while but have no inclination to play that without my friends in there and I can only jump in there at night when no one is on. Pretty much like DnD. I got it all loaded with the new content and of course no one was on since it is so late and all the missions available to me are meant for team play or pay to play. I had a few minutes to goof off in Three Barrel Cove from when someone bought me a pass but I couldn't find it so I just logged off. (Shoulda posted that in Team Corwin thread)

And THATS what I'm playing if Im not playing with my beautiful daughter which incidentally is a better game than ANYTHING I mentioned. :)

When you go on DDO, CHECK out the guild section (click Last ON) to see if any of us are online, OR check out skype as we all use that as well.

Back
Top Bottom