Chaos Chronicles - Legal Troubles

I was really looking forward to this one as well.

I was really optimistic about the state of gaming ( at least gaming as I like it) when this and the number of kickstarter I'm interested in we're announced but now between legal issues, delays, incomplete or extremely buggy releases and kickstarters running short on funds, I'm much less optimistic.

I don't think its time to give up hope yet! Wasteland 2 is delayed, sure, but only by a couple of months and I think it means we'll get a better game at the end of it. Shadowrun Returns is out in less than a week. Expeditions conquistador is a solid kickstarter funded rpg. Project Eternity and the new Torment are a bit further down the line but looking extremely promising. And then there's the new Divinity game coming up as well - I wasn't convinced at first, as I didn't like the earlier games much, but frankly from the pitch they gave they are going to give us an absolutely fantastic game.

Chaos Chronicles was near the top of that list for me, and I'm gutted if we lose it, but we haven't lost it yet: and if we do, there are lots of other good games coming through! Keep the faith!

Wow, people sure are certain it's bitComposer that's at fault even without knowing what the issue is, never mind bitComposer's side of the story.

Bitcomposer

a) fucked up JA
b) is fighting over the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. license
c) are mad Hessians ... :)

they are guilty!

Wow, people sure are certain it's bitComposer that's at fault even without knowing what the issue is, never mind bitComposer's side of the story.

in any case their role as publishers is "parasitic". they actually lend money and if the game goes wells they get big profits,they have nothing to do with the creation of a game.so i don't care about their opinion.for sentimental reasons i'm with the developers.so as someone else previously said : BURN!

I say:

picture.php

Concentrate my dear RPGWatch-user I have something for you:

picture.php

P u b l i s h e r s a r e b a a a a d a n d e e e e v i i i l !

Last edited:
I tried to improve the petition while keeping it relatively short and to the point. Always keep in mind nobody can be blamed at this point and until someone manages to get answers from either party, while we also don't really know the state of the game itself, as promising as it may have been the way it's been marketed. Still, even if this goes sour in any way, it is support for games with that vision, so that those involved and those watching can still try to fill this gap, even if Chaos Chronicles itself won't for any reason.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...nicles-to-be-completed-as-originally-intended

I tried to improve the petition while keeping it relatively short and to the point. Always keep in mind nobody can be blamed at this point and until someone manages to get answers from either party, while we also don't really know the state of the game itself, as promising as it may have been the way it's been marketed. Still, even if this goes sour in any way, it is support for games with that vision, so that those involved and those watching can still try to fill this gap, even if Chaos Chronicles itself won't for any reason.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...nicles-to-be-completed-as-originally-intended

Only 63 people signed this do far. I'm afraid it will do more harm than good...

Only 63 people signed this do far. I'm afraid it will do more harm than good…
Well the information about the legal problem has only been reported here and the Codex. I don't think other sites care.:tears:

I think you may be on to something. This is just the latest footnote in the seemingly endless tomes of evidence that video game publishers primary function seems to be to hurt the industry. Sure, publishers make lots of games possible by funding them but they pressure developers to play it safe. The problem could be that bitcomposer has decided that there isn't enough of a demand for a turn-based party RPG and wanted them to make the game more "marketable". Or some similar BS.

Crushing people out of business that are a threat somehow is pretty normal. Like try to buck a trend or look to make it big with an MMO. But this sounds more like bitcomposer trying to get something for nothing ala paradox a while back.

Only 63 people signed this do far. I'm afraid it will do more harm than good…

Like I said if you only sign and forget about it, it won't even have a chance of working, if it does at all. 60 is an alright start considering the hour (for most, myself included, I stayed up). As for doing harm, I'm sure they know their various related websites have been visited by more so I don't think they'll suddenly assume only 60 people who went to some obscure petition nobody important talked about (yet?) would be buying.

As for other websites not caring to report (on the issue, not the petition, since they're separate and many may want to raise awareness of the former but not the latter), again, most professionals would be off the clock at this point, while many may wish to get official statements rather than write a story about a forum post. Of course, official statements are unlikely until someone really important asks, or it gets a lot of press.

Well, even RPG Codex moderators aren't up since I've tried to post about the petition more but since my account is new the posts need to be moderated first and the last isn't so there's like two forum posts about it in threads of multiple pages, it has not been very visible even to those in the know at this point, never mind the average fan.

This thread probably isn't helping much either as they somehow already posted many more news updates, this is buried already so there's that. Anyway, I don't have the power to raise awareness, it's up to everyone together if they think it worthy, which they may not, it's up to the individual and you can't force anyone. I just did it to try and help, if it fails to help or if other things help more oh well, it happens. Ideally things will go well for Chaos Chronicles regardless of how the petition I started does. At least 60 people so far have added to the overall pool of discussion over the issue.

Edit: well, since you posted that it's already up to 100 signatures atm, I just checked.

By the way, I mentioned earlier I used that site because it's where the Dark Souls petition was, I was mistaken however, I don't know why my first google search indicated that. Oh well, whatever, it seems like a decent enough place too even if it wasn't the one they used at that time. It's not the site that matters but where it's reported.

Last edited:
Well, there's quite a few people who care out there. I think it'll just take a few days for the word to spread. Just needs one or two fairly "large" sites like RPS or such to post and tweet about it.

As for the news that is how it works I post 7-12 newsbits a day. The older news falls down the list. Were not like the codex that barely posts 2-3 a day.;)

Anyway I added the newsbit to the front page as breaking news. I'll leave it up for a week or two. The link for the petition was added also.:)

I wasn't complaining about having news, lol, I just thought that at the hour all this happened it would maybe take a few hours for that news to be buried!

I should add there's no real goal to the petition, it's not a kickstarter obviously and who knows how many it would take to get real attention, or if they would care at all anyway. I just chose that goal as something for people to feel glad about approaching, if it comes to that. If it ever reaches it I'll increase it too.

And you don't have to promote the petition and seem affiliated unless you want to.

I'm still open to suggestions to improve it, but still keep it short like that. I've tried to make it clear there's no blame on anyone at this point (I'm sure it's harder for people to sympathize when they feel threatened) and that the game's quality is also unknown at this point, so that even a lot of attention to the petition and even the project's actual continuation doesn't guarantee we get a worthy game we should buy or anything, but at the same time not get people pessimistic over that possibility and harm it, and so on…

I signed it sorry done deal.:) I'll leave it up for a week then take it down. By then it should have enough signatures.

Going by what the developer said an official statement about the problem should be released soon. I hope the game gets finished.

A legal injunction, what would that be about? If publishers don't like what a developer does, don't they usually just stop giving money?
Hope this gets sorted out. I didn't follow Chaos Chronicles as much, but I finally visited their website and it looks pretty cool. Would be a pity if it falls prey to some sort of legal bickering.

This will certainly make me boycot bitComposer for good.

I will do the same! Gamers made Ubisoft slowly change their ridiculous DRM policies and I'm pretty sure that gamers can close down bitcomposer or at least make their life miserable. We have Kickstarter now...

Bitcomposer

a) fucked up JA
b) is fighting over the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. license
c) are mad Hessians … :)

they are guilty!

That's sad and true... The one and only good thing is that they published Expeditions: Conquistador.... I was so excited about Chaos Chronicles - I would have seriously pre-ordered that game, preferably form gog.com....

Well, this sucks monkey balls!! :mad:

This is exactly the kind of sh*t that makes me appreciate Kickstarter so much more. With it the developers can actually make the game they want with no publishers, lawyers, and other good-for-nothing suits breathing down their neck, ready to pull the plug or otherwise screw the devs over if given half a chance. Sheesh! Bitcomposer wasn't content in just mangling up Jagged Alliance, it had to go and do the same for Chaos Chronicles as well. Way to go, dudes! *golf clap*

As they say on "that other CRPG site", I am disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom