Two Worlds Epic Edition

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I meant to play 5 minutes yesterday and ended up playing 8 hours. I'm *really* late to the party here but here are my impressions. In general, waiting 2 years after release is a great way to game! Fully patch, next to no bugs. My laptop (Vista 64, 4 gig of Ram, 2.3 Ghz, 9800GTS with 1 gig RAM) plays this at 50-60 FPS with everything maxed out. Gothic 3 tweaked looks better but this looks great.

The game is fun. The camera annoyed me at first but there are advantages. If you are using a bow to weaken opponents and then run to get some distance you can have your avatar run toward the camera so you see the chase. Very effective. I'd still rather have a proper chase camera but I've adapted.

Horse riding in 1.7 is much easier than the demo (1.5). They fixed something! I really like the horse. It never gets attacked and it never wanders which is unrealistic but I'll take it! They should have just made the horse a jeep lol.

Combat is fun. Using bows and melee and taking advantage of the camera turns it into a somewhat of an action game but it is very satisfying. I LOVE the stackable weapons enhancement system!

The teleport "mark/recall" system stolen from Morrowind is a great feature. Love it. Good thing too because loot in this game is incredibly addictive.

Quests are TOO simple. Admittedly I have not done anything but side quests so far but I wish they were multi phase and a bit more involving.

Voice acting is terrible but not a showstopper. Why they insisted on using "yay" and "nay" and "forsooth" with all the bad acting is beyond me. Just use regular english for gods sake. The Gothic 3 voice overs are sooooo much better!

Anyway, this is a great game. I'm also playing Gothic 3 which is so much more immersive, but it borrows from all the greats as far as I can see:

1. No respawning monsters ala Gothic. Excellent!
2. Oblivion graphics. Nice and pretty. I think I like this engine better quite frankly.
3. Morrowind mark/recall teleport system.
4. Diablo/Sacred mob combat. I've had up to 15 wolves and 12 bandits on me!

And finally, very, VERY fast save and load process. Great since I die alot.

Sounds bad, it's not a game for me. I hated Gothic III and Oblivion.

1. No respawning monsters ala Gothic. Excellent!

Huh? Gothic didn't have respawning monsters. Unless you're refering to the fact that they added a few more in between chapters, which was kind of necessary.

Gothic 3 had limited respawning, but it was very buggy. It was removed completely in the v1.6 patch.

I agree.

I picked up the game (Epic Edition) about a week ago at Gamestop for $14.99.
I'm having alot of fun with the game.

The game is patched to 1.7 out of the box and contains a few expansions. It runs and looks great. Too bad this game got such a bad rap in the past. It's one of the better games I've played in a long time.

No respawning Monsters ala Gothic Series - meaning they don't respawn just like the Gothic series. Exception being chapter changes. You know what I mean, think "Dungeon Lords" as the opposite example :)

Sorry Konjad - you are missing out on alot of great gaming by dissing these titles.

Dagar - you are right, this game got a bad rap. So did Gothic 3!

No respawning Monsters ala Gothic Series - meaning they don't respawn just like the Gothic series. Exception being chapter changes. You know what I mean, think "Dungeon Lords" as the opposite example :)

:lol: My bad, I guess I should have read your post a little better.

Dagar - you are right, this game got a bad rap. So did Gothic 3!

No doubt, Gothic 3 gave me far more hours of enjoyment than most crpgs, and I never even finished it. I'm looking forward to picking up where I left off soon though.

I have the Two Worlds Collectors Edition but I've barely ever played it. I got it back when they were still releasing patches for it, so I decided to wait. I'm glad I did though, because soon I'll be able to play both TW games back to back.

Just make sure you have a few drinks or turn off the volume during the voice overs.
Forsooth! Nay Knave!!! *cringe*

Im pretty much with jdr with this. I played the demo, liked it and bought the ce. I havent played it yet though. There has been times where I have wanted to start it but I force myself to play what I have first.

Im anxious to get my hands into this. But Im a collector when it comes to games so I have lots of good games waiting.

I was almost getting into the demo many moons ago, but I remember not being able to stafe left/right, only turn, and I couldn't find a way to change that in the options. It really pissed me off and I passed on the game. Question is, CAN you change this setting to strafe and I just missed it?

Here's my review after just finishing the game last summer:

This game gave mixed feelings. I could go on ranting what I did not like, but then I had to explain why I spent 13 days playing it, exploring almost every piece of the map.

Two Worlds is a massive singleplayer RPG, similar to Gothic and the Elder Scrolls series. This means exploration of a huge map, filled with dungeons, camps, cities etc. I tend to enjoy this kind of game and I love to just run around and explore stuff. Two Worlds just happens to be a "left over" since I have nothing else to play. In Oblivion I had the problem that since all dungeons/maps was generated, I had to reason to explore. I loved Gothic 3 though, despite a sea of bugs that even trashed savefiles once in awhile.

Two Worlds was to me slightly more entertaining than Oblivion simply because it's designed, not randomized. However, the design itself is not good. The game is extremely unbalanced. I could have finished the game using 15 points (fire magic) and let that be that. Loot and money was mostly pointless as a mage. Many times I wondered why I even bothered.At the end of the game I had about 99.50% combat efficiency, meaning that I died like ten times or so during the entire game.

The dialogues are simply... bad. I cannot really put my finger on it, but quests just do not feel exciting. The main quest didn't feel exiting either. The main story is almost as bad if not even worse than Oblivion. There were a couple of broken quests, even if I run patch 1.7 that is over a gig in size.

The final bit after grabbing the last relic I simply rushed. I felt it was time to just go on with it, finish the game, leaving the rest of the quests undone.

I will play the sequel. Not because Two Worlds was a good game, but because it's the kind of games I like and they are rare. I do hope they will make a massive improvement on balance, character system, quests and story.

I liked the game, didn't love it, as noted in my '2nd opinion' for the RPGWatch review. I'll get the sequel, but not the EE (don't care about multi) and haven't played it again since ...

Yeah the fact that all they did was throw in a couple of multi-player only maps, and include the latest patch, is kind of a joke.

"Epic" Edition my @$$.

I liked the game....however, there is no way the graphics are on the same level as oblivion. Unless you were running oblivion at low everything.

That is correct, there is no new single-player material afaik.

I've never seen that "gold" edition before, I'm guessing that was for Europe/Australia.

In NA we have the original, the CE, and the Epic editions.

Yeah the fact that all they did was throw in a couple of multi-player only maps, and include the latest patch, is kind of a joke.

"Epic" Edition my @$$.

To me it (Epic) was always sort of a joke ... they kept talking the game up compared to Oblivion (even more epic than Oblivion etc) ... so I just attribute it to that. In many ways it isn't unlike the Witcher EE boxed in that there is no reason for owners to buy it ... except that there is no download available.

I liked the game....however, there is no way the graphics are on the same level as oblivion. Unless you were running oblivion at low everything.

Its the far distance plain that ruins Oblivion's graphics. I've added Oblivion overhaul mods, border texture mods (4096x4096) and it still looks like crap in the distance. Up close, Oblivion looks much better than Two Worlds. Two Worlds has a better overall graphical balance. Gothic 3 with ini tweaks for distance LOD absolutely kills both games. Best looking game I've ever played once you crank up the LOD in the ini file.

I haven't played this, and I doubt I will. My computer doesn't really have the specs for any games made after 2004, haha. I prefer older CRPGs, anyways, and I don't play games often, so I shouldn't run out any time soon.

The better a game looks the more easy it is to point out it's flaws. Oblivion is still one of the best-looking games of all time.

Two Worlds have much less variation in vegitation and it lacks the architecture that Oblivion have. It also have a less sophisticated lightning system. Not to mention that the indoor architecture in Oblivion (both in houses and in dungeons) have more variation and looks better in general.

I ran both games in the best settings available, including tweaks, but no mods.

Back
Top Bottom