Queen's Wish - February Update

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The February update for Queen's Wish: The Conqueror announces that development has reached the half-way point.

Queen's Wish February 2019 Update!

Posted by Spiderweb Software (Creator)

This has been a big milestone month! The world of the game is half-written. All the basics of the world and the stories have been established. We just need to finish them. We hope that the Queen's Wish content will be done at the end of May, and then we can do the Windows port and finalize everything.

This is a really grueling phase of development. Every day, I get up and do a chunk of game. A dungeon. Three sections of outdoors. Half of a city. There's a huge pile of things to do, and every day I chip one thing out of the pile. That's why it's so satisfying to get halfway. It takes a lot of doubt away. This game will be finished. My brain is pudding, and there's a long way to go. But we'll get there.

We're doing a lot of internal testing to polish the thing up. We want get all of the balance right: tense without being crushing. The game system has a lot of innovative stuff (like the fort building/resource system), and we want to make sure all is clear to the player. And, of course, it's a new engine, so we have a billion bugs to fix.

We hope to release the game to a small group of our regular beta testers very soon. Kickstarter backers who are in the closed beta will have to wait until the Windows port is done, in a couple of months.

We are also scrambling to get enough art together to announce the game official and put up the Steam page! Our goal for this is April. It's later than it should be, but some games it takes longer to get art than others. Happily, the art is looking really good!

Kickstarter Backer Update

If you bought the ability to name something in the game or add a character, item, etc, these things need to be finalized. The game is almost done! The deadline for these is the end of March. If I hear from you after that, I'll do what I can, but I can make no promises.

And thanks again to the backers for their ideas. I have been really surprised and pleased by how clever and innovative you were. It's been some really good stuff, and I've enjoyed working it in.

A Screenshot!

Finally, I am immensely pleased to be able to show off a screenshot for the game. It shows off a lot more of the art, interface, and big scary monsters hiding in the dungeons. I'll have a lot more to show soon. Enjoy!

- Jeff Vogel

786c00c227f47f427a3d705549f4207f_original.jpg
Fending off a rush of mire boars in one of the many dungeons. Each dungeon has its own unique tactical situation, and you will have to carefully manage your abilities and items to be victorious.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I was expecting a bit more progress with a newer engine and all with the announcement of this game, followed by the kick starter project and all the word of mouth back then. Even though my expectations weren't met, I'm looking forward to playing this likely on day one, because that's something you can actually do with Spiderweb releases!

I have to say, this engine for me is a lot worse than the previous one. I was expecting something a bit more modern-ish. Kinda disappointed, but i will still keep an eye on this

I do find it a bit underwhelming. I understand it's a small indie outfit, bit even so, I think they could afford to aim a little higher, rather than just good enough for the diehard faithful.

Like others I can't understand how Jeff thinks this is a visual improvement over Avadon. I think he just through all that money for new art assets out the window. But his games have never been about visuals, but good gameplay and interesting stories, so I will probably play this one as well.

I didn't like the earlier screenshots but this latest one looks like it is heading in the right direction. PC and mobs graphics are the highlight but hopefully the terrain improves more.

Yes, the graphics are worse then what he was using before. In no way is this an improvement.

Involving the gaming community was a huge gamble, and I still think that Spiderweb missed out on some opportunities there. Nevertheless, graphics in a game rarely factor in for my purchasing decisions, I'm looking more at story and character development, and at those Spiderweb games tend to excel.

Worse ? How can you judge with these tiny screenshots ? What is he doing posting these stamp-sized things ?!?

It looks worse because we lost the isometric perspective so now everything is ridiculously flat. The little plastic piece disks under the characters hardly help any. The art assets overall are about the same. If I can't independently move characters out of combat like the "pre" Avadon engine for scouting and tactics I vote the whole thing a pointless "upgrade".

Circles under the combatants feet???!! WTF?! WTF?! I was dreading a new screenshot as soon as I spotted the headline here. Doesn't matter. I probably will never play this junk - as Jeff seems to be intent on making newer and newer screenshots graphics SUCK more and more by increments!!! :-OoOoOO WTF, man?? Jesus!

Like others I can't understand how Jeff thinks this is a visual improvement over Avadon. I think he just through all that money for new art assets out the window. But his games have never been about visuals, but good gameplay and interesting stories, so I will probably play this one as well.
Exactly he went into detail before why he won't invest money due to a past incident that almost bankrupted him. As the game did not sell well to pay back his investment.

As this point though I don't think he has a good excuse because new game engines are cheap nowadays. Unity might be a good choice for him to check out.

Anyway I never played his latest games for graphics but like you said above for interesting stories. Still the new game looks better & worse then the Avadon series.

Last edited:
Exactly he went into detail before why he won't invest money due to a past incident that almost bankrupted him. As the game did not sell well to pay back his investment.

As this point though I don't think he has a good excuse because new game engines are cheap nowadays. Unity might be a good choice for him to check out.

Anyway I never played his latest games for graphics but like you said above for interesting stories. Still the new game looks better & worse then the Avadon series.

Well he did say most of the Kickstarter money was going to pay for the new art assets. I imagine that buying new assets is going to be expensive. While stylistically quite different, I think the quality is close to that of Avadon's, though of course we need more and bigger screenshots to compare. It doesn't seem to be a qualitative improvement, and wheter one likes the style better or worse is a matter of taste. It just seems to me a waste of funds if its not a qualitative improvement. But he did hire a sound engineer, which I hope will be a real improvement in terms of sound.

Queen's Wish - March 2019 Update
Another month of milestones. The world of Queen’s Wish: The Conqueror now has 5 of its 8 sections completed, including one entire storyline. This was particularly satisfying. After years of planning and development, we actually finished a thing! Even better, we released the game to the first tiny group of beta testers. Our core Macintosh test group has been pummeling the game for a couple of weeks now. Many glitches have been fixed. Queen’s Wish is rapidly turning into an actual shippable product. (Backers who get the closed beta will still see it in a few months when the Windows port is done.)

And still no screenshot bigger than a stamp ?

I do like a good Vogel game. It'll be interesting to see if the old dog still has his tricks, though I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, still have Avernum 4-6 and Avadon 3 to get through first at some point. Maybe I'll try to squeeze this one in earlier.

Spiderweb released a new trailer.

The official trailer for Spiderweb Software's new indie role-playing epic, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror. We celebrated 25 years in business with a hugely successful Kickstarter for this game, and it's close to done! At last, the Queen has given you power and freedom! The cost? You must rebuild her Empire. Will you? In this epic, indie fantasy adventure, you are free to explore, fight for fame and power, and shape the world as you choose.

Escape into an unpredictable open-ended story and cunning tactical combat. Coming in Fall, 2019 for Windows, Mac, and iOS. Purchase Queen's Wish: The Conqueror at http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/quee… and wishlist it on Steam at https://store.steampowered.com/app/10…

Back
Top Bottom