Borderlands 3 - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Borderlands 3 has been released. The Windows release of Borderlands 3 will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store for six months.

Borderlands 3

Borderlands 3 is a loot-driven first-person shooter. Players, either playing alone or in parties up to four people, make a character from one of four classes available, and take on various missions given out by non-playable characters (NPCs) and at bounty boards to gain experience, in-game monetary rewards, and reward items. Players can also gain these items by defeating enemies throughout the game.

As the player gains level, they gain skills points to allocate across a skill tree. The game introduces four new playable characters: Amara, a "Siren" who summons ethereal fists; Moze, a young "Gunner" who rides the mecha Iron Bear; Zane, an "Operative" with a variety of gadgets; and FL4K, a robot "Beastmaster" who summons creatures to aid in fights.

Unlike previous Borderlands games where each character had only one unique skill that operates on a cooldown, each character in the new game can unlock three unique skills, though only one (or in Zane's case, two) can be equipped at a time, greatly expanding the number of potential character builds a player can make.
More information.

Hopefully some really nice people will post their impressions, because $60 …

Very true ... my read of impressions is that it is very similar to BL2 and a bit of a let down - but it is hard to filter actual impressions in between all the people who are essentially hating on the Epic Games Store and using trashing BL3 as a proxy.

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, but I thought the 2nd one's plot was lame and over-contrived. This game looks like more of the same and I won't pick it up yet. Once it hits Steam and 70& off though, I'll grab it. Nothing against Epic but this isn't Fallout 5 or TES VI and those are about the only thing I'd spend $60. Too many games these days to spend that kind of money, imo.

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, but I thought the 2nd one's plot was lame and over-contrived.
Not that I found the plot great, but… Borderlands is about 95% gunning and looting and 5% story.
Who cares how inane the framework for the action is?

I'm just sad there's no Psycho to play. That character's lines were probably the most hilarious I've ever witnessed in a game.

I would get this game if it was DRM free or at least in Steam as a lesser evil, if nothing else because I enjoyed playing 1 and 2 as a duo with my boyfriend. However, I didn't enjoy the pre-sequel that much, and going Epic is just the final nail in the coffin. Too bad I guess.

Last edited:
I thought some of the dlc had decent stories and some of the sub-stories (areas) were not bad - not witcher 3 level but not bad for a loot shooter.

Not that I found the plot great, but… Borderlands is about 95% gunning and looting and 5% story.
Who cares how inane the framework for the action is?

I'm just sad there's no Psycho to play. That character's lines were probably the most hilarious I've ever witnessed in a game.

The first Borderlands struck me as having a kind of undefinable charm that the second one just didn't. Everyone seems to agree that the second was the better game, but it didn't really grip me in the same way.

I've been reading a lot of reviews trying to filter out if the third entry is worth my time. As has been mentioned there's a ton of white noise about this right now and it's difficult to see. The Epic Games Store isn't a deal breaker for me but the asking price looks probably a little high for what they're delivering. I guess I'll wait a bit more to see what comes of it all.

I'll post some impressions later since a bunch of people are asking for them. I couldn't care less about the Epic Store stuff or anything similarly petty/unrelated to the game itself. I'm coming from the standpoint of having enjoyed both previous installments. I'll let you know how it stacks up for someone like that (I can stay with some certainty that this game won't appeal to anyone who actively disliked the previous games)

@Mosaic; BL2 felt like it had some quality of life improvements, but it's hard to beat the impact of the first- as different as it was, at the time.

Well, it has a "Guardians of the Galaxy" feel to me, as someone who has never played it and only looked at youtube videos about it.. I am not its target audience, but I can appreciate its aesthetics.

I enjoyed all three previous installments. :biggrin:

But I'll probably wait until all the DLC is released.

Back
Top Bottom