Kingmaker - Review @ Gamebanshee

The king bounty games still have numerous unfixed bugs (they no longer get patched). The first 2 were actually fairly clean after a couple of patches but it is the later two that are pretty bad. The one I find most annoying is the last hero and time back bugs that cause crashes....

Really? I do remember crapload of bugs in Sea Dogs, but on the other hand I don't remember seeing that many in King's Bounty games.

I was a kick starter supporter of this project, and to date I have no regrets. I wasn't able to play it fully as soon as I wished, but I think they'll get many fixes in there and make it much better than last I saw it. It may not be my game of the year, but it could be one of the few that I revisit to replay year after year!!

105 hours in now and it seems Im not getting even close to the end. This thing is huge.

Steam says I put 300h into this game. I ran into tons of bugs. I am still enjoying it a lot and consider this one of the best cRPGs since BG2.
The trick with me was playing slowly and restarting a few times to try out different combinations. I started playing on Day 1 but most of the bugs I ran into are minor ones or lack of polish.
Actually I don't consider bugs the biggest problem with this game, loading times are that problem. Loading times are only thing that makes me tired after playing it for few hours.

Actually I don't consider bugs the biggest problem with this game, loading times are that problem. Loading times are only thing that makes me tired after playing it for few hours.
Made my feelings know plenty of times about the load screens also. So I sympathize.

Fallout76 day one patch is 54 gig. Original download is only 45gb. :)

Fallout76 day one patch is 54 gig. Original download is only 45gb. :)
Blasphemy must get out my pitchfork again. Who's with me?:shakefist:

the-mob-672x372.jpg

I'm still early in chapter 2 with most of my characters at level 6 and I have yet to see any bugs. Now I've been around gaming a LONG time and I've beta tested heaps of games back in the day when I was sent a FREE copy of the game for beta testing it. (which is why I refuse to pay for the privilege). Some of you here might remember the release of Daggerfall!!!! I had a collectors boxed copy flown out to me by express delivery which I paid more for than the actual game. It was a TOTALLY unplayable bugged out mess which had to be patched daily for months. (or at least it seemed that way to me) Today many claim it's the best of the Elder Scrolls series (at least before Skyrim) and it is a favourite of mine once I could actually play and finish it.
P:K is far better, especially so far as bugs are concerned and the devs are doing the right thing, so let's support them, not tear them down. Having spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours testing games over many years I know it is impossible to find every bug in a large and complex multi-path game like this. Is it perfect? Obviously not; no game is, but so far it is one of the best games I have played in years!!

so far it is one of the best games I have played in years!!
Well last game you played before it was Grimoire betatest so... No surprise there. :p

For some of us, the well has already been poisoned. There is a reason I wait a significant amount of time before buying and playing now. If that three month mark that someone mentioned earlier in the thread is true, then I might as well be a non-customer as far as any game is concerned. I don't think I've bought a game on release day in a few years now. Partly that is due to buggy releases, but it is also due in part to DLC. It doesn't matter to me at all how quickly Owlcat patches this game, only that they do.

I am a regular tabletop Pathfinder DM and Kingmaker is one of the top APs Paizo has published during the life of their 1e. I quite easily understand the "it's buggy, but it's great" refrain.

Btw. there is a quest about “Blakemoore's Grimoire“ in the game. :D

Hmm, I'm not much of a fan of party-based or isometric rpgs and I played this for over 100 hours before waiting for patches. I'd say they did something right. For me, the map exploration was just a lot of fun and the battles went fairly quickly for the type of game it is.

I didn't really have a favorite crpg this year though. I played more of 7 Days to Die and The Long Dark than anything else. Those have rpg elements but they're survival games at their core.

I'm still early in chapter 2 with most of my characters at level 6 and I have yet to see any bugs.

Game hits dead end after chapter 5. I will not spoil where it happens and how lazy the game design gets after that.

Due to companion quest bug I lost my cleric, the only one who could cast freedom of movement spell.

i can go to earlier save, roll a NPC cleric for tons of money and try again, but currently too pissed off to continue with the game.

The first big patch 1.1 is coming out soon and I think that's when I'll start the game. I backed the game so long ago and I'm excited to play but I've learned to wait a month or two with starting some of these games just to make sure things are more ironed out.

Game hits dead end after chapter 5. I will not spoil where it happens and how lazy the game design gets after that.

Due to companion quest bug I lost my cleric, the only one who could cast freedom of movement spell.

Are you referring to:

Wild hunt spam? Then yeah, I agree. The last dungeon in chapter 6 (and chapter 7) was practically ruined for me because of that.

Although, the ending was so worth it. I lowered the difficult down to story-mode to finish the game

The first big patch 1.1 is coming out soon and I think that's when I'll start the game. I backed the game so long ago and I'm excited to play but I've learned to wait a month or two with starting some of these games just to make sure things are more ironed out.

Just finished the game with patch 1.1 beta. I think it addresses most of the problem, but chapter 6&7 are still broken because most of people get there under-leveled, including me. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom