The Broken Hourglass - Cancelled

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Sadly, The Broken Hourglass has been cancelled, although materials will be released for the community to potentially develop:
Planewalker Games LLC is formally abandoning development of The Broken Hourglass as a commercial product. I have concluded that it is infeasible for PWG to deliver the game promised, and unacceptable to try to market a product that would not meet expectations. I take full responsibility for this decision and the factors leading to the conclusion.
It is my intention to release the game materials for TBH and the underlying WeiNGINE game code in some open source/open content license model which will permit the ongoing exploration and development of the game as a non-commercial, community project. The exact licenses and scope of this public release have not yet been determined, and there is no specific timetable for this public release to happen. The intention will be to give the greater community the best chance possible to explore the potential of TBH and to honor the efforts of the dozens of people who have been involved with TBH's development over the years.
Support from RPG players and press has been overwhelmingly positive and constant during the long development cycle of TBH and I am extremely grateful. It remains to be seen if PWG will attempt a commercial project of more manageable scope in the future. Until that day, please accept my apologies for coming short of the mark, and my thanks for your interest.
- Jason Compton
Jason regularly kept us in touch (in the earlier days of the project) and we wish the team the best.
More information.

That's always a shame to see. I hope they land on their feet.

It's heartbreaking. TBH looked really good and even with the countless delays I was still looking forward to the game. I really wish the team the best in their future endeavors.

A pity, though not unexpected after the long silence, and reading the rumours that Jason had been through difficult times of some sort. I guess the cancellation is at least a sign of him planning for the future again - best luck to him and Planewalker.
It's a very nice idea to release the game into the public domain - that still leaves hope that a team of enthusiasts will finish the game in some way - it sounded like they were quite far along and it would be very sad to see all that work come to naught.

I remember checking this game out almost 5 years ago. Its a shame as the game looked good. But as stated there wasn't any news for a while so I thought this might happen.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not a big surprise but I applaud the intensions of releasing the tech. Some good might still come out of TBH.

Nooo!
I was waiting sooo long for this one!
I was expecting something like this, though. Too long had the development been stopped.
But hope, I thought, never dies.
In any case, best of luck for the team!

That's a shame I was looking forward to this coming out some day. Best of luck to their team.

It's a damn shame because he put so much personally into this project. I'm hoping that cheaply available professional game engines will eventually let RPGs catch up to some of the more casual indie games which seem to just spring up and make money like money-making mushrooms.

This game was not on my radar at all. And I am so glad because when I went over to the web site the game looked very promising. I'm sad that a good game is not going to get released but at least my disappointment is a lot less than if I had been following its development and waiting for the game to hit my hard drive. Ya know what I mean????

Hurray for ignorance????

This is incredibly sad news... I've been looking forward to release of this game since beginning of its development..

Either way, best of luck to Jason and the team.

Its a bummer. I remember the tech videos showing the daylight cycles. It looked great.

I know they are releasing the code, but putting the caveat that you can't use it to make money isn't going to draw too much interest.

Back
Top Bottom