RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2017

None. Started ME:A and DOS2 and abandoned both. Have a few others on my wishlist, but haven't played them yet so I can't vote for them.

1. Pillars of Eternity 2
2. Underworld Ascendant
3. NWN Enhanced Edition

The more I looked at the list - the more I was disappointed with 2017, aside from Divinity. Hoping 2018 will be better.

2017:
* Divinity: Original Sin 2
* Torment: Tides of Numenera
* (since I had to pick a third): Trails in the Sky

Hadn't played Elex yet so can't comment on it - but it looks good.

2018:
* Bard's Tale 4
* Pillars of Eternity 2
* Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Has no-one here played Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs?

I know Joxer liked it. I was on the verge of buying it just a couple of weeks ago but the level scaling is apparently pretty severe and that's a huge pet peeve of mine. Just no.

Last edited:
2017:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Now in my top three of 3rd-person, party-based RPGs… ever)

Mass Effect: Andromeda (For all its faults, was still quite enjoyable to me)

Expedition: Vikings

Special mention-- XCom 2, War of the Chosen. I sunk several hundred morehours of my life into this when the expansion came out.

2018: Since Cyberpunk isn't an option…

Anthem: I'm apparently the only one who still trusts BioWare enough to give me a decent game. Plus I think the setting/backstory sounds cool, even if it's a shooter-RPG.
Basically, if you found ME:3 remotely appealing, you'll like Anthem. If you didn't, as is obviously the case on this forum, there's probably nothing to see here.

Phoenix Point: (See: my XCOM obsession)

Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire. I'm hoping they clean up some of the mechanics but it looks great so far.

My votes:

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2
2. ELEX
3. Expeditions: Viking

1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
2. Vampyr
3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
4. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
5. For the King

However, the best game of 2017 without any doubt is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. And it does not matter which genre is an RPG or an adventure, or for which platform it is, it is a masterpiece. ;)

Last edited:
I played Regalia, it started off really well and then just got kind of mediocre. Which is too bad, because the beginning was quite interesting and I'd hoped for more/better.

Hmm, top three. I don't believe I engaged in a lot of RPGs in 2017. Some of the games I'm excited for may not release in 2018 either, but I'll list them anyway.

1. Nier: Automata (other)
2. Nioh
3. Elex

2018:

1. Project Octopath Traveler
2. Final Fantasy 15
3. Pillars of Eternity 2

Last edited:
2017:
Elex
Darkwood
Divinity: Original sin 2

2018:
Battletech
Vampyr
Pillars of eternity 2

2017: Expeditions Viking

2018: Sacred Fire, Copper Dreams, No Truce With the Furies (& several more good ones, I hope).

Since I am usually behind the times these were all that were on the list for 2017 that I had actually played:
1) Divinity Original Sin 2
2) Elex
3) Spellforce 3 (but only played the demo)

Looking forward to:
1) Underworld Ascendant (been waiting on this for a couple decades)
2) Bards Tale IV (ditto)
3) Avernum III - Exile III was my favorite older Spiderweb game so interested to see how this turns out

Last edited:
The only game on the "played" list that I finished was Elex, and I really really liked it, so an easy number one. Played parts of the Torment and Prey, and liked what I saw, so that filled it out. I have so much shit to catch up on that I find these fav lists really hard.

Avernum III was my top "looking forward to". Avernum II was excellent, even though I'd played half of it before in its previous incarnation. I've played little of the "original" Avernum III, so I'm really looking forward to finally experiencing the plot via the remake.
Rounding off my "looking forward to" picks were The Pathfinder RPG and Bard's Tale IV.

I'm surprised to see how many folks here have Elex on their list, considering the mixed reviews and the game's reputation as a buggy mess. Has it improved since release?

I'm surprised to see how many folks here have Elex on their list, considering the mixed reviews and the game's reputation as a buggy mess. Has it improved since release?
The game has a few technical flaws but definitely is not a buggy mess. It wasn't at release either.

Back
Top Bottom