Undertale - Review @ RPGCodex

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Felipepepe of the RPGCodex has reviewed the 2015 indie hit Undertale:

RPG Codex Review: Undertale

This year, away from the watchful eyes of the RPG Codex, a new game took the place of the Highest Rated PC Game of All Time on Metacritic. It scored 97, one point above icons of fanboyism like BioShock, Half-Life 2 and GTA V.

It has since dropped down to 93 (this is a serious industry, after all, with big budget AAA rehashes at its apex), but that remains an impressive feat. The game that achieved it? Undertale, an indie RPG.

Yes, reader - an RPG! But how come it has eluded thousands of RPG Codex grognards? Let's check out the trailer to see if we can learn more:

Yeah... uh... quite easy to see why few here cared.

But here's my honest assessment: if you find that trailer in any way appealing, if you enjoy games like Earthbound and/or if you have a weak spot for unique games that offer something fresh, then heed my advice - stop reading this review and go play Undertale. Or at least try the demo.

TL;DR: Undertale is a brilliant game, and the less you know about it before going in, the better.

[...]
More information.

Completely disagree, the game is really bad and a giant gimmick. I really regret having gotten it. It's the nadir of pretentious, pseudo artsy and self-congratulatory hipster indie games. Pure fluff.

If you think it is fun to go through multiple annoying puzzles where you fall down floors and push tiles, use the same random "strategies" to pacify monsters that are always the same for every monster of the same type (which consist of using a menu option that you don't know in advance), and read obnoxious fourth wall references and juvenile humor that attempt to masquerade for actual content, try to figure out random solutions that are without rhyme or reason for how to pacify bosses without any logical cues, and go through in your face "moral choices" that feel forced and are there for no reason but to say it has "profound moral choices", then it might be fun for you.

Otherwise there is an indie game called Lisa that also attempted to do something in the vein of Earthbound and which was infinitely better than this. Actual content, actual gameplay, no meta jokes rubbed in your face every 2 minutes, no repetitive puzzles, a lot of clever ideas and a brilliant story that cleverly uses the medium.

It's amazing that a RPG Maker game has actually sold over 500,000 copies on Steam. Usually you read about how no one likes to play, or buy RPG Maker games.:celebrate:

I've only played the demo - but the number nuances in the demo is amazing. They seemed to have accounted for every choice and it tears at the heart strings.

I have to agree with HHR on this one. I only played the demo and it was one of the worst games I've played.

I know it sounds like hyperbole but I really can't think of another game I've tried that I thought was this bad.

I have to agree with HHR on this one. I only played the demo and it was one of the worst games I've played.

I know it sounds like hyperbole but I really can't think of another game I've tried that I thought was this bad.

The problem is that game journalists and the masses are very vulnerable to emotional manipulation and this is precisely what Undertale does. But when you peel it off you discover that there is nothing very good that is left.

The reason why it went unnoticed on the Codex, and here to some extent I suppose, is that these crowds are one of the very few that won't fall blindly for hype and that tend to be very critical.

I recommend looking at this review which does a good job of exposing the flaws:

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/undertales-not-peaceful-it-pretends/

Due to the limited nature of player agency, attempting to interrogate moral questions in videogames can be a challenging proposition. To put it another way: how can I have made the wrong choice if it’s a decision the game forced me to make? Repeatedly, Undertale throws the player into unavoidable boss fights, where negotiation is not an option. These fights can be won nonviolently, but only through puzzle solving. Like my fight against Toriel, these conflicts require the player to take advantage of hidden mechanics, repeat actions without knowing whether or not they’ll succeed, and subsist under a barrage of enemy attacks. (Relatedly, when the player does not fight, they don’t gain experience, which means their health remains incredibly low, making the unavoidable combat even more challenging.)

The player’s choice, then, to fight or not to fight, is not one necessarily related to roleplaying or ethical considerations. It’s also a mechanical consideration. A failure to deliver mercy might simply be a failure to solve a puzzle, or figure out a way to survive with inadequate resources. In my case, it was a decision made because the game did not effectively communicate to me that I could do anything else. I wasn’t making my choices as a moral actor. I was making them as a player. I encountered this problem over and over during my playthrough. Every boss fight was not a question of, “Do I want to kill this individual?” It was a question of, “Can I solve this puzzle? Do I have the resources to survive long enough to deliver mercy before Game Over?”

The constraints of Undertale‘s nonviolent combat, then, might suggest something similar, highlighting the way that choosing not to fight is a profound risk, not to be taken lightly. Their presence in a system, though, one which has carefully constructed each choice and then determined how those choices are communicated to the player, however, suggests something different. It suggests a communicative failure, one brought about by the nature of the system itself. The charming, morally earnest rhetoric of Undertale conceals the coercive weaknesses of its systemic approach to those same moral issues. Its limited combat options and often obtuse puzzle solving, alongside the sheer endurance required to survive boss fights long enough to end them, add up to a system that doesn’t point to any elaborate moral insight. It simply points to itself.

I actually enjoyed the game, but I think that calling it "RPG" is misleading because it's really not a RPG (it's more like a funny visual novel, disguised as an old-style japanese RPG). I also think that the hype around the game is completely overrated, but I can't say it's a bad game!
I already wrote a small review on the forum: * link *.

Please tell me if the review is spoilerish. I've long since been on the fence about this game and am looking for a review that is not spoilerish. All the rest I always dropped reading b/c the writer would always start posting spoilers. Maybe it's the kind of game that needs spoilers to be explained, I don't know.

Anyway, winning "the best game ever" on GameFaqs was the worst cheating move of its community, as far as I'm concerned. If not for that, I'd have just blindly played it by now. Now I feel so much resentment about their cheating tactics that I want to "punish" the game by not playing and by not potentially becoming another horrible fan. Yes, winning by cheating is horrible, I don't want to have anything to do with that fanbase.

Well, if there are no decent reviews, maybe those who played could just tell me in this thread whether it's worth playing. Is it even an RPG? I also heard that the game writer is 16 y.o., which sounds bad to me, surely the quality of writing must be atrocious and quality of thoughts shallow.

Elel >> The review at RPGCodex contains some spoilers (my review is very shorter, but I tried to do it spoiler-free!).

My opinion is that the game is not a RPG, it's more like a parody of a RPG, which is actually a kind of humor driven visual novel. Also, the writer is 24 years old, and the writing is quite decent (I geniunely laughed at some jokes).
Don't expect it to be a revolution, or the best RPG ever made, but I really think that the game is worth playing (and that the spoilers can really… well… spoil it, so you're right to avoid them ;)).

Elel the review is a little spoilerish but if you've been waiting this long to play it then I suspect you know whether or not you want to give it a try. The game's website has a free demo you can play and finish in well under an hour if you'd like to get a sense of it.

Personally I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I found the characters engaging, the story enjoyable, and the amount of agency I was given to affect the story's progress unique. So yeah, thumbs up.

If you don't want to play the game then that's cool, but as for punishing the game by holding off on playing it… well, I don't see how that helps you. I think any fanbase that reaches a certain population threshold will inevitably have annoying people in it, I don't really think that should reflect on the piece itself. Also, the gamefaqs poll wasn't actually cheating. The Admins looked into where the votes were coming from and found no evidence of bots or multiple voting. People were just coming in from other websites to vote on the poll - which gamefaqs admins encourage people to do to attract new audiences. People are free to disagree with the results of an internet poll but that's democracy, yo.

tl;dr - there's a free demo online, give it a try and see if it's for you.

Last edited:
I said that the winning was done in a cheating way b/c it turned out to be a popularity contest, while the title was "best game ever", not "the game with the most active fanbase". Yet all those people who voted for it from its fanbase didn't mind that the title was "best game ever" and not "the most active fanbase". It was a sham of a contest…

Maybe I'll play it eventually, I just feel irritated whenever I think of it now, thanks to that little stunt.

That said, this post came off way too serious, I'm not actually as angry about the whole ordeal as it reads :)

Back
Top Bottom