RPGWatch Feature - Encased Early Access Preview

Well done article, thanks Redglyph. I am curious to know more about the companions. Hope they will be fleshed out in the final release.

You do a great job. Your writing is clear and easy to read/follow with a good grasp of the language. You cover things well, have some nice images, and its informative while not revealing too much about the story.

Thanks @wolfgrimdark;!

I hope we'll see more content on the companions too, though I may just have missed opportunities in the EA. One didn't have a lot of dialogs but he was obviously all fight and little talk, so it follows (he did have a strong sense of ethics, on the other hand). Another one had his own "philosophy" and was happy to discuss about it. Overall it was fine, but the remaining acts should bring more.

There will be romance too, although more of a one-night affair than a deep relationship.

From what I saw, the other issues (control, interface) were solved long ago.

The author mentions that the developers have a partnership with Koch Media. However, this is what the developers have stated. But nowhere has Koch Media publicly confirmed this. There is no news article that confirms with a statement from Koch. You can go to the Koch website and look at their press releases and they have no mention of this partnership - or at least one that I can find. Why is that? Isn't that odd?

I admit it's a little odd but here you go the press release.

Koch Media Group assumes global publishing services for Encased

Link - https://www.gamespress.com/Koch-Media-Signs-Dark-Crystal-Games-Upcoming-RPG-Encased
Larkspur, Calif. (Dec. 18, 2020) Koch Media and Dark Crystal Games today announced their future cooperation for the upcoming sci-fi RPG Encased. The Koch Media Group will support the global launch of the game on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, as well as PC within one of its publishing labels. Future details on the publishing and release date will follow at a later point. Encased will be fully released 2021.

“From the very first day of development, Encased has evolved as an independent project, created with our own resources and the support of the amazing Kickstarter community. The partnership with Koch Media will maintain our creative freedom and help us showcase the game to a huge global audience," said Vyacheslav Kozikhin, creative director at Dark Crystal Games. "Encased will now feature full voice acting, additional language localization, and will be released for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 at the same time. We’re excited to bring this adventure to a much larger global audience.”

Encased fits perfectly into our portfolio and within our global expertise on publishing RPGs," said Mario Gerhold, International Marketing Director at Koch Media. "Our team here in Munich is already working hard behind the scenes and we look forward to sharing more information about the game and how Encased fits into our multi-label strategy very soon.”

Encased is a tribute to classic turn-based post-apocalyptic RPGs. Fighting enemies, exploring an anomalous wasteland, and leveling up a character while joining one of the forces ruling a ruined world. Encased inspires nostalgia for classic PC gamers and layers in fresh takes on the classic genre to welcome new players.

The author mentions that the developers have a partnership with Koch Media. However, this is what the developers have stated. But nowhere has Koch Media publicly confirmed this. There is no news article that confirms with a statement from Koch. You can go to the Koch website and look at their press releases and they have no mention of this partnership - or at least one that I can find. Why is that? Isn't that odd?
That's a good question, and it has been asked on Discord too. All we know is that everything is fine with this partnership, and that Koch Media will announce it on their website when it's the right moment for them to do so. Likewise, the game website still only names Black Tower as publisher, not Koch Media.

They're also taking their time to give any statement on the release date; maybe they intend to do both at the same time, which would make sense? We'll see.

But yes, it has been publicly announced at different places.

They haven't given any status update yet, but they keep posting feature tweets. I liked this one :D
Today the whole world celebrates Star Wars Day. If you are also a fan of a galaxy far, far away, we have great news. In Encased you too can become a Jedi by using a Psi Katana and Psi Gloves.
image.png

A little update after the new EA version.

1. Companions

The companions are now much less cumbersome. They don't get in the way anymore, or at least they get "transparent" and move out of the way without interrupting you when you're moving around.

There are also 3 simple interactions, visible with the icons under their portrait:
  • the left icon is to make them stop moving, "stay put"
  • the 2nd icon is to make them move to a specific spot
  • the right icon is to open the inventory and make them interact with objects (food, medication, and so on)
image.png

The inventory is shared, which is much easier and also distributes the total weight between everyone's strength, like in Pathfinder. That avoids a lot of micro-managing.

By the way, the 3rd guy is Crump and he doesn't have a hamster :lol:

2. Stealth

Stealth was criticized a lot in the earlier versions, it's been improved and is functional now. Depending on the stealth ability and other factors, a white and red circles represent the thresholds for any NPC. You can't enter stealth while in the white circle, and you may be detected while in the red.

Here I pickpocketed Adolf Smith, a very meticulous guard. Hence the increased circles and the icon above his head, he realized he's been lifted and is walking around checking corners to find who did it. It's quite funny to watch ;) My guy is in the other room with a mask icon above the head (stealth mode).

image.png

It's a bit simplified, like in D:OS2, if I quit stealth mode and he sees me, he will immediately know I did it and confront me (or report it to another authority if he's a coward).

From there, you can either ask for forgiveness (limited offers), fight or try to impress the accusing NPC.

image.png

After a few times, it will get you into jail - or if you fight, you may end up dead.

3. Jail

Once in jail, you can wait a few days before being released, in which case you are fed every day. Don't forget to retrieve your confiscated items like weapons and … lockpicks. Or you can try to pick the lock and escape, which of course only makes it worse if you get caught.

Here I did just that and remained in stealth mode, my character is well advanced in criminal abilities so he can pick lock without specific items and is not easily detected. The guard is looking everywhere for me, and he's quite pissed :D I can close the jail door, but unfortunately I can't lock it, shame (it worked in the previous version but it was buggy, because not meant to be in the first place).

Note that I'm in the red zone but he doesn't see me, so apparently there's more to that.

image.png

No news yet on when the final release is planned. There are still bugs to solve, but at least this reassured me on a few issues.

I picked this up after your wonderful previews, @Redglyph;. This game is already worth the prices of admission and I got it during the Steam sale, so goody :) I'm very much enjoying my time with the game, having arrived at a place that reminds me of Tennessee for some reason ;)

I picked this up after your wonderful previews, @Redglyph;. This game is already worth the prices of admission and I got it during the Steam sale, so goody :) I'm very much enjoying my time with the game, having arrived at a place that reminds me of Tennessee for some reason ;)
Thanks! And glad you like it :)

My memory is bad enough that I can play it today and probably again next month and think it's a new game :D

What is your take on the companions? I have been looking at the game and companions are a huge part of the enjoyment I get in games. Do they have a story? Relationships (friend or otherwise by relationship I just mean like/dislike, shared quests, etc.)?

Also, do we get full control over companions in combat, or is it like FO 1 & 2 where they act on their own?

I'll give quick replies to those, but I'm also more interested in @crpgnut;'s fresh opinion (or anyone who played the game).
What is your take on the companions? I have been looking at the game and companions are a huge part of the enjoyment I get in games. Do they have a story? Relationships (friend or otherwise by relationship I just mean like/dislike, shared quests, etc.)?
They have their own story and opinions on you and on other companions - you can even ask them. They may trust / mistrust one another and they'll freely comment on that. It's not as deep as Pathfinder of course, but entertaining enough. There is "romance" but it's more of a one-shot thing and not a lasting relationship (sorry for the poor choice of words :)).

You have a reputation with them, as well as the factions. They'll leave if you act against their philosophy.

Some companions have personal quests, but so far I've only seen one or two.

There's quite a lot of dialogues in general with the NPCs too, and they are specific, or at least I never met two sharing the same generic dialogue.
Also, do we get full control over companions in combat, or is it like FO 1 & 2 where they act on their own?
In combat, you fully control their moves, actions and inventory interactions like taking boost, healing, … It's turn-based. You control their gear too.

Outside of combat, you can make them stay or go to a specific spot instead of follow you. But you don't choose how they level up, you can't make them interact with the world, for ex. flip a switch or use their strength to force a door (though it's been requested and the devs said they'd consider those points).

Well, since I play Lone Wolf we'll let @Redglyph;'s comments stand. I'm playing a white faction male who specializes in high tech weapons. I have a small amount of psi weapon skill too since I found a level 3 weapon in the first area past tutorial land. Loner's get 75% more experience and more importantly, don't have to deal with other people :D I have no idea who the companions even might be but I've only done the first 3 areas and the 3rd area isn't anywhere near complete.

I keep restarting when I learn of a way to get more xp. I'm on my 3rd character that has at least reached Tennessee (P.S. not it's real name but to anyone who has played they'll figure it out) :D

I didn't realize you could scan turrets for CRONUS points.
You can lockpick or bash several locked doors for extra XP. I might have accidentally killed most of Concord in one greedy play through :) Thought I better start over!

I didn't realize you could scan turrets for CRONUS points.
You can lockpick or bash several locked doors for extra XP. I might have accidentally killed most of Concord in one greedy play through :) Thought I better start over!

Many things to scan, all relics too.

You also gain XP from exploring areas, and searching recipients like bins, flower pots, desks and so on. I'm not sure I like that last part though, it just develops the loot syndrome ;)

I am a loot hog. I even pick up the dirt in the plants. Of course, I have the Kickstarter belt that gives you 5000 encumbrance :D

This is one of the games I'm excited to see come out of early access. I played around with it for a bit and realized this is the kind of game I'll want to play when it's "finished" ...

Back
Top Bottom