Deus Ex: Human Revolution - "Very Special Edition" for EU, AU, NZ

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Wow, Australia and New Zealand mentioned for a limited edition... Joystiq has news of a "Very Special Edition" of Deus Ex: Human Revolution for Europe, AU and NZ. You'll get an Adam Jensen figurine, "Making of" DVD with soundtrack and more:
The "very limited" iteration of Deus Ex comes packed with a "highly collectable" figure of protagonist Adam Jensen, the "Explosive Mission Pack" (which is also part of GameStop's pre-order incentive), a smattering of in-game weapons, 10,000 extra in-game credits, a "making of" DVD and soundtrack, and a 40-page art book. How much will all that "very limited" stuff cost you? Square's not saying just yet, though pricing and specifics on availability will be made clear "closer to launch."
More information.

No figure in the US SE, but I don't really care much. What I do dislike is that the bonus mission that comes in the SE was made a Gamestop exclusive in the US. That's a bunch of bullshit, frankly. Story content should not be held ransom at one store and you can bet your ass I'll be "pirating" that mission.

Story content should not be held ransom at one store and you can bet your ass I'll be "pirating" that mission.
I agree. By doing that, they are also being dishonest with people who paid for the game. So it's an eye for an eye.....

Damn, what more can eidos screw up and have even had a hit (a really good game) in the last couple of years? They game would probably already be completed, out and under budget if they hadn't spent massive amounts of money on cutscenes.

I really hate getting extra armor, weapons or cash in DLC's or special editions of games, it would be one thing if there was extra quest(s) getting it, that i could perhaps pay extra for. It's not like magically appearing extra cash or armor makes the game more fun in an RPG, it's the opposite.

I fear we'll see much, much more of this trend in the future.

My worse fear, though, is that the recent examples are only "test-runs" whether this in-game extra stuff actually works and if it is accepted by the fans - or by the buyers in general.

A conspiracy theory would be that the companies are currently "training" or "educating" the fans towards that ...

I really hate getting extra armor, weapons or cash in DLC's or special editions of games, it would be one thing if there was extra quest(s) getting it, that i could perhaps pay extra for. It's not like magically appearing extra cash or armor makes the game more fun in an RPG, it's the opposite.

I agree 100%. I've been complaining about that kind of extra content since DA:O. I guess it appeals to loot whores, but I'd much rather have my character obtain items in a logical way in-game.

"Bonus" items for pre-order/collector editions have existed since the 90s (Baldur's Gate 2 had that store).

But now all the rage is to turn every games, including SP games, into game with "cash shop". That's where the money is, in making people pay $2 for a digital sword.

Since I much prefer download editions to avoid the hassle of actual discs, this is a no-buy for me anyway.

Regarding the larger issue of extra content for extra money, I would guess that it makes more sense to expend all effort on the game they will sell to the majority of buyers rather than diverting energy on a game to be sold only to a minority of compulsive game 'collectors', in particular since reviews will probably be written for the 'normal', 'non-collectible' edition. Obviously, whatever cool weapons they leave out of the standard version in order to put them into the more expensive one, diminishes the value of a large fraction of the games sold. Is this really worth it?

At this point, I am probably going to buy the game unless some early reviews change my mind, but others might be more sceptical or not as generous. On the other hand, the developers seem to be cool, so unless the publisher is arm-wrestling them I am somewhat confident that they are not going to overdo it here.

Deus Ex 3 isn't the first nor last game to do this marketing dance. It would be dishonest to hold this garbage against the game.

Back
Top Bottom