The TV Series discussion thread

I'm quite enjoying the cast of Doctor Who, but some of the stories just seem average, at best. I think given enough time, they'll eventually hit their creative stride and bring some more memorable tales.

Jodi definitely reminds me of David Tenant and I'm finding I quite enjoy her after being somewhat apprehensive at first.

That's encouraging. I watched the first episode but it was on the non-HD BBC. Quality was really bad so I decided to wait for (1) netflix release or (2) some other means when the full season is out. I think the first episode was good, but I got nervous myself watching the doctor buzz around. I cant remember David Tenant being so ADHD-like.

Yeah it almost seems to be the norm these days for almost every character on the telly to be twitchy or something. I don't quite get it, but I know enough people that are similar in person to where it doesn't bother me, for the most part. It does get old, though.

I too have no problems with the new Doctor Who(both show and character), as I said previously. OTOH, I do prefer when they make their social statements on another planet, like Baker did so many times. Earth is just kinda boring too me, and …. known.

Sad sad ghost from The Haunting of Hill House (2018). "I was right here…I was right here…the whole time…nobody could see me…I was right here."

nLnfJIb.jpg

Still have 4 episodes to go. I will savor them

Last edited by a moderator:
Man… Put spoiler tags!!!
I've already posted it's almost masterpiece, mustwatch before dying. Spoiling will ruin the experience.

Man… Put spoiler tags!!!
I've already posted it's almost masterpiece, mustwatch before dying. Spoiling will ruin the experience.

Haha, I didn't spoil anything. Every ghost that ever existed in fiction (except maybe Casper) - from literature to movies to television - is a sad sad ghost that thinks, over and over again: ""I was right here…I was right here…the whole time…nobody could see me…I was right here."

You did. Pic, not words. A major spoiler.
Think a bit what's shown on that pic, then think about someone who's watching the first episode for the first time - after seeing that pic. It ruins the twist!

That pic is not supposed to be seen before the 5th episode.

no no no

You did. Pic, not words. A major spoiler.
Think a bit what's shown on that pic, then think about someone who's watching the first episode for the first time - after seeing that pic. It ruins the twist!

That pic is not supposed to be seen before the 5th episode.

no no no

Oh, Joxer. Go watch The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 'n' chill. Are westerns within your range of tastes? I know dramas aren't. It's quirky, funny and sad. Watch it. It will help you chill :p

Well, I didn't put that spoiler tag in my post above but that's okay. Better that then being deleted :) I still don't think it's that big a spoiler, btw. Despite Joxer's assertion, it doesn't really give away "the big twist." It will still be a surprise to those who see it. It's an idea that's not overly used in movies and television. In fact, I've only seen the concept used in a television series once before, in an episode on Space: 1999's first season, though here in THOHH it was done much better.

One more interesting thing about THOHH: though a lot of people choose to see ambiguity in both the novel , the Robert Wise film and the series in regards to whether these ghosts actually exist or not outside the heads of its characters, Shirley Jackson considered it a "haunted house story" with real ghosts. The TV series at least definitely follows that idea and Jackson actually tried to discourage Robert Wise and his screenwriter in 1963 from making it so ambiguous. The very fun William Castle film with the punned title The House On Haunted Hill (1959) released the same year Jackson published her novel has no ghosts in it whatsoever, however.

Actually that concept, not completely the same of course, you might spot in
Castle Rock and couple of years old Signal (have to post about it separately one of next days, already mentioned it before but can't bring myself to it). And, forgive me for mentioning it, even in CW's Flash (Savitar arc). :D
Because it's used for different purposes and with different "epilogues" I find it hard to compare them in between. All I can say sometimes it turns out good, sometimes does not. ;)

Last edited:
Actually that out of time concept, not completely the same of course, you might spot in Castle Rock and couple of years old Signal*. And, forgive me for mentioning it, even in CW's Flash (Savitar arc). :D

-
* Have to post about Signal separately one of next days

Spoiler, man, spoiler!!!! You just gave away the big twist! :lol: I forgot about Castle Rock. I liked it a lot but it sort of petered out in the end and in the hard light of day seemed way too obvious an homage to Charles Beaumont's The Howling Man. But I still liked it. The Space: 1999 idea was much closer to the one used in the THOHH series though. It's still a way cool premise however.

You're right, assuming someone watched all three, mere deduction could lead to spoiling it. I've edited the post.

There is a spoiler in your post, Jack. :)

Good eye, Eye! ;) Yeah, but I think in the first 5 minutes of the first episode of Castle Rock we're shown that it's an obvious homage to The Howling Man, so… semi-spoiler :) Speaking of Stephen King, when he is good he is good! But when he's bad- well, I wish he were better *Mae West wink* I may start watching Mr. Mercedes. Please, no spoilers anyone! :lol: Gerald's Game was a thing of ugly beauty.

Back
Top Bottom