RPGWatch - We're Back!

Hey @Myrthos;, sometimes I get to access the site OK (like now), and sometimes Google Chrome gives this error:

"This site can’t be reached
www.rpgwatch.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
"

This same behaviour also happens when using Mozilla Firefox. Both browsers are up-to-date.

Any hints on what could be happening?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
As far as I know this is a local PC issue, where information from DNS has been cached and isn’t updated yet. Could be that the old IP address is still cached on your computer somewhere. If you search for DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN you will find plenty of ways that could resolve this.
Alternatively it might also be that whatever DNS you happen to use at the time is not updated yet. You could try to force the DNS entries on your PC to Google’s DNS, For which there are quite a lot of examples to find on the Internet.

In any case it is not something that I can fix from my side.

Everything's fine on my end just get a few bad gateway errors when submitting a reply.

Where did that improved logo from the maintenance site go?

It was much more professional than the current one!

As far as I know this is a local PC issue, where information from DNS has been cached and isn’t updated yet. Could be that the old IP address is still cached on your computer somewhere. If you search for DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN you will find plenty of ways that could resolve this.
Alternatively it might also be that whatever DNS you happen to use at the time is not updated yet. You could try to force the DNS entries on your PC to Google’s DNS, For which there are quite a lot of examples to find on the Internet.

In any case it is not something that I can fix from my side.

I'm not at my home computer now. As soon as I get back home, I'll try to apply the solutions you've pointed, if the issue still persists.

Thank you so much, Myrthos! Your hard work here at RPGWatch is very well appreciated!

Last edited:
I did get one 502 bad gateway today, just loading a page.

That isn't normal. I don't get any of those.
It happens randomly. It only happened about three times last night. I just had to reload the website. Maybe on my end or a small connection problem with stress on the server?

I did change some settings causing the web server to restart a few times today. If a page was loaded in those short moments a 502 error would be shown. It shouldn't for the last couple of hours though.

Could be all sorts of things at either end causing bad gateway errors. It might suggest something going on if they're cropping up regularly.

I agree. They should be an exception, although within 24 hours of the move they could be more frequent. So after today, they should be an exception.

As I am not watching this site 24 hours a day, please let me know if there are times when you encounter issues, including a slower response of the site than average. It would help if you could also note the time when this happens and your time zone, so I can try to do something more than an educated guess.

The errors in the next 5 minutes are because I had to restart the server...

I've been seeing this happen a lot in my posts and others since yesterday.

’ or â is always added when you type any word that uses 's.

To clarify it happens when you submit your reply.

Yeah I saw that too. It is a mismatch between the page and the database with respect to the used character code. Will have a look at that today.

I can do this now

Latin:
!"#$%&'()*+,-./
0123456789:;<=>?
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
PQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_
`abcdefghijklmno
pqrstuvwxyz{|}~
¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬®¯°
±²³´µ¶·È¹º»¼½¾¿À
ÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐ
ÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßà