Skyrim - Beta patch 1.4. on Steam

The Skyrim Nexus works pretty well too, as I've been modding my game since I started my 2nd playthrough. I've got a handful of texture replacements, a horse mod, SkyUI, and a few other mods running, all without a hitch.

Ah here are the contradictions again. Excuses upon more excuses and hey there Bethesda they can do anything and get a free pass right?

These problems should of been ironed out before release especially the compiler.:roll: Looks like Swen Vincke is right on his discussion of quality over quantity.

Played for an hour with the patch. I don't know if it increased performance because I never had any framerate issues. I wasn't having any issues before the patch and didn't have any after.

Ah here are the contradictions again. Excuses upon more excuses and hey there Bethesda they can do anything and get a free pass right?

If half the other games out there performed as well out of the box as Skyrim, I'd give them a free pass as well.

Looks like Swen Vincke is right on his discussion of quality over quantity.

Of course he is!

Ah as I said contradictions every studio should be hold to at least certain standards. A concept many forgot and journalist have no concept anymore what it is.

Just because a game is good does not excuse technical errors that could of fixed before releases. No excuses please. I've heard them used by every company.

I enjoyed the game but blind fanaticism towards a company just baffles me. Go ahead and lambast me while I get the fire proof shield as most here only see how great it is.

Ah as I said contradictions every studio should be hold to at least certain standards. A concept many forgot and journalist have no concept anymore what it is.

Just because a game is good does not excuse technical errors that could of fixed before releases. No excuses please. I've heard them used by every company.

I enjoyed the game but blind fanaticism towards a company just baffles me. Go ahead and lambast me while I get the fire proof shield as most here only see how great it is.

Setting aside the PS3 format, are there any other massive open world RPGs that have been released with less bugs?

I didn't buy Morrowind or Oblivion at launch, but Fallout New Vegas had a lot of bugs that required use of console commands and more frequent CTDs than Skyrim. Oblivion is so unstable that it crashes frequently even many years after release.

Skyrim crashed about 10-15 times total for me over the course of playing the game something like 250-300 hours. Then following Patch 1.3 I have played the game another 200 hours or so during which time I have experienced absolutely zero CTDs.

The only bugs I've noticed are minor stuff like one of the Companions quests requiring console command for completion, and occasional things like followers not equipping the best bow in their inventory, etc. Really minor stuff that does not impact my enjoyment of the game.

I've updated to Patch 1.4 and I will try it over the next few days. However, already in my view this has been the least buggy release ever for this type of big open world RPG game (setting aside the PS3 problem relating to low memory) .

CountChocula I had crash's every hour until they enabled the large aware patch and other fixes. Most people have requested this since Oblivion and they never enabled it till now. If it wasn't for the talented people making mods and unofficial patches there games would never be fixed correctly.

I still cant play fallout 3 without it crashing without using a certain mod to fix the problems Bethesda never fixed. That's unacceptable on modern computers. I'm not saying there games are not good once you can play them but they have the same problems every time it baffles me.

I have three computer each one has a different configuration and these problems happen on each one. I salute those who never had a single problem on any of there games but others haven't had a pleasant experience.

Skyrim is not 100% bug free. There is a trade off between time, money, features, scope and polish. To get a game technically bug free would require that they either cut down the scope (ala Dragon Age 2), charge much more for the game (5x as much say), or work on the game for five times as long, by which time it would look ancient.

If you want that, there are other games which satisfy most of those preferences. That's fine - I won't argue that they should be different. But I also like variety in games, and I want some games to be large in scope and features like Skyrim. Just as I'm not arguing every game should be like Skyrim I think it's unfair to argue every game should be like Dragon Age 2 (or whatever technically perfect game you are holding up as golden).

Skyrim is a fantastic experience out of the box - capable of giving 100s of hours of fun. That's already great value - that the game is being made even better is a great bonus - if you need that to make the game value for you then simply don't buy the game on release . Skyrim is already the most polished Bethesda game on release, so unless you are completely blind to previous releases you can't have expected better.

Back on topic, it seems the patch is largely great - but one bug seems to be emerging with some kind of sound effect buffer playing when opening the map. Hopefully they'll fix this before release. The other gains (CPU optimisation, save game corruption fixes, etc.) all look fantastic, unless you're already dicking around with lots of non-toolset mods and injectors in which case you've got a chance of having mucked up your game.

@kalniel

They make massive open world games, but they are awful at making them flawless. Sure it’s probably incredibly difficult to work on such a game and have it run right. They never care to fix all game breaking glitches or bugs that happen only certain ones.

I'm not blind I'm just saying every release from them has the same bugs and design flaws as the previous games. This isn't about there games being good or bad.

They seriously need a new engine not just the Gamebryo engine redesigned and upgraded with a new name.

I think I will stop here as I stated this game and franchise inspires way to much fanaticism among the RPGWatch crowd and gamer community.

Last edited:
I'm not blind I'm just saying every release from them has the same bugs and design flaws as the previous games. This isn't about there games being good or bad.

Um... are you saying that Skyrim has all the same flaws as Oblivion? Have you actually played it?

@kalniel

But they don't. Skyrim is much better designed and polished than Oblivion, which was much better designed and polished than Morrowind, which was much better designed and polished than Daggerfall..

They seriously need a new engine not just the Gamebryo engine redesigned and upgraded with a new name.
Maybe they should try Eclipse then, is that what you're saying? No thanks, - I like my varied environments and true object interactivity. Maybe REDengine? No thanks - lush as it is it's too small and non-interactive. Maybe Genome? No thanks - I like my stability and performance. Maybe CryEngine? No thanks - I like my vast environments and object interactivity again. Maybe tech5? No thanks, same as above. Unigene? Same.

I'm running out of middlewares. Do you know any others?

It's clear you don't like the decisions taken that make The Elder Scrolls the unique games that they are - you see bugs, I see vast worlds with interactive objects and true drop in mod functionality. *shrugs*

Couch, you are expecting too much for a game like Skyrim to be flawless, much less any game. I'll bet that any game you name, someone can find a flaw in it.

I couldn't keep 1.4 beta because of mod choices I've made. Once 1.4 leaves beta, I'm sure the modders will update their mods. I use several mods that require script dragon and it only supports 1.3.

While I had it running, the biggest improvement was in framerate. I have a mid-level graphics card and 1.4 vastly improved my framerates.

There was an incremental patch to the 1.4 beta, that added these items:

•Fixed occasional audio issue that would play sound effects louder than intended

•Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian

•Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly

•Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first

Last edited:
Couch, you are expecting too much for a game like Skyrim to be flawless, much less any game. I'll bet that any game you name, someone can find a flaw in it.

This. And people wonder why developers want to code against a standard hardware configuration like the 360. These games will crash occasionally so save often. They will freeze so save often. They will crash on exit so get used to it. Be prepared to research your issues when they seem specific to your hardware profile. Personally, I'm just glad I get to play these things. While sometimes the experience can be bumpy, Bethesda hasn't failed me yet.

Back
Top Bottom