Do you think there will be an influx of pc gamers next gen?

Is that still the case?
It's all rumors and myths at this point (at least as far as I've seen, but admittedly I haven't been following it extremely closely), but it's possible that nextgen consoles will require program installations. Last I remember seeing, they will not, but that could certainly have changed.

If so, that would have to be considered another weight on the scales in favor of the PC.

This is the first time the consoles are considerably weaker than the pc's at launch, 3 or 4 years down the line the difference is going to be really noticeable this time around i think. And considering that devs lately are making more multiplatform games that would normally not even consider the pc is encouraging for me so. Graphics while not be all and end all plays a major part in some gamers minds. Why buy a game on console when the *much* superior version would come to pc's? I think it would make better games on a technical level be possible for pc's where it wasnt before.

Why wait for the next gen consoles? The chart reads a superiority old by three or four years. Did that help the PC cause? Why would console users move to PCs when they sticked to an ever ageing platform for three years and are on the verge on getting a power platform?

PCs are no longer a reference in terms of gaming. PCs, over the last three years of superiority, did not take advantage because PCs are no longer perceived as a platform of choice to develop specifically a game.

The console world no longer care about the PC world. The only point of reference is how much more powerful the next gen consoles are going to be compared to the current console generation.

There is no longer a comparison to the PC world. Only some PC users maintain that line of referencing.

The console world exists on itself. The PC world could disappear the console world would not care. The PC world is irrelevant.

PCs are no longer perceived as a platform of choice to develop specifically a game.
I bet that's the most recent statement from CDprojekt. Sounds like them.

CD Projekt? That is that studio that tailored the released of the TW 3 for console gaming? After releasing previous games exclusively on PCs?

Whatever they say. Only their acts...

I think graphics fans are really going to go for the pc gaming, what do you guys think?
Well the picture was from a presentation showing that at least the gap in performance is narrowing, so PC ports of console games should be better than they were. Add that to the fact the architecture is now much more similar as well and PC ports should be even more viable. However "exclusives" will remain a problem as manufacturers go for anti-competitive behaviour rather than market expanding behaviour.

But that doesn't really have any effect on PC gamer numbers. It will remain a fairly minority market - the boost in recent years due to casual gamers will move to tablet/phone gaming as families replace their home internet computer with phones/tablets, leaving the enthusiast market to pick up the bill for R&D on gaming specific hardware, where it differs from server/business hardware at least.

Well, given how I can never stay out of a technical discussion.

Again the PS3 has a unified architecture. 8 GB GDDR5 unified memory, and some special modifications to allow much more compute on the GPU than a normal card. On top of that it has dedicated audio and compression chips onboard.

I am sure that you'll get better graphics out of that than any standard equipped PC you can buy today. ( Excluding something like multiple SLI setups, but no games take advantage of such a setups anyway ).

Yes I don't question the tflops, but it is after all a game we are going to play, if you setup an extreme scenario where everything is done on the GPU using exactly the kind of calculations setup which NVIDIA did when they measured the absolute maximum tflops you can get from their GPU those numbers is ok.

But let's say you have a PS3 game where you have all game assets 8 GB in the shared GDDR5 memory, and GPU / CPU sharing the required calculations in an optimal way. Using the extra bit and write-back options sony has added as well as integrated sound and compression units. I am sure that such a optimized PS3 game is going to be able to chunk out a more impressive visual experiance than that maxed NVIDIA PC.

The console world exists on itself. The PC world could disappear the console world would not care. The PC world is irrelevant.

It'll exist as some kind of workstation, though.

Consoles aren't ready yet for productive professional work inside of firms.

But let's say you have a PS3 game where you have all game assets 8 GB in the shared GDDR5 memory, and GPU / CPU sharing the required calculations in an optimal way. Using the extra bit and write-back options sony has added as well as integrated sound and compression units. I am sure that such a optimized PS3 game is going to be able to chunk out a more impressive visual experiance than that maxed NVIDIA PC.

"Optimized" is the key word here. As the AMD Kabini is like a half power ps4 and failed to pull performance compared to other laptops let alone a desktop.

I don't think computer gamers will increase. Win 8 isn't getting many people enthused about buying a new computer. I can't stand the Metro UI myself and decided to just buy an Android tablet instead of a new laptop. I still have an old Vista laptop but use my new tablet more. I game on a 360 but plan on getting a PS4 eventually. To me consoles are just easier and I like easy nowadays. I do miss mods and such but not enough to buy another computer that I just don't need.

Back
Top Bottom