General News - The RPGs of 2022

Redglyph

SasqWatch
@Pladio spotted the list of RPGs for 2022 given by RPG Site. Thanks!

The RPGs of 2022: Every RPG and their release dates

Here we list the upcoming RPGs we expect to see in 2022. This listing will often be updated throughout the year.

Now - we know - defining what exactly is an 'RPG' is can be a little tricky. While some of the games below may not best be labeled as an 'RPG', we wanted to include games that have evident role-playing elements. We allow for a little bit of wiggle room.

Let us also note: our list only includes games with confirmed English versions set to release in 2022 and will be updated regularly throughout the year. Games that do not have confirmed English localizations or have not yet been announced with 2022 release plans will not be included.

[...]
More information.

Haven’t looked at the list yet but Elden ring will be taking up my first 6 months of 2022 assuming it’s not delayed.

Hopefully BG3 will be on the list as well.

It's not even on their "might release in 2022" list, which seems silly. But Realms Beyond is....

I'm not in a hurry for BG3 at all now that I've played WotR for 140 hours and counting. If BG3 came out tomorrow, I wouldn't play it. I need some time to recharge my giant epic fantasy game batteries.

Elden Ring and Starfield are the only games on that entire list I'm looking forward to. Horizon too, if you consider that an RPG (I don't). That's okay, though. There are like four RPGs or RPGish games released in the last month that I am playing/want to play.

Avowed is not in the list, is it expected in 2023?

I'm looking forward to Broken Roads and Urban Strife, too. And Atomic Heart, then probably System Shock.

Larian is definitely in an iterative process with the lore, the ruleset and the feedback of the current players, so BG3 will need time to get ripe. It can wait. :) It could still 2022 from what they said last time, indeed.

Possible 2022 RPGs I'm interested in that aren't mentioned here:

Expeditions: Rome (technically it could even release this year but 2022 seems more likely)

SKALD (Early Access at least)

The Way of the Wrath

Sacred Fire (Early Access will be the end of this year)

Death Trash

Prisonscape- It's been in dev a long time but they just recently announced they have moved from alpha to beta. And they have a Steam page!

Edit: I prompted them to add Prisonscape and Way of the Wrath to the list.

Last edited:
Broken Roads, Dark Envoy, and Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters (this one was new to me - looks very cool)
are the ones that jump out at me.

Avowed is not in the list, is it expected in 2023?
2023-2024 was always the target for Avowed's release based on an info leak. As for the list not many PC games and most of the better games are listed as unknown date.

So I'll pick Starfield, Expeditions: Rome, and Broken Roads off that list.

Yeah, it's not very informative in terms of release dates yet. It only covers Jan, Feb, March, then June and November.

As for the games that are actually dated, only Elden Ring and Starfield interest me. Horizon: Forbidden West might have been #1 for me if it wasn't a Playstation exclusive.

Funnily enough I am more interested in some of the Undated RPGs than the others (possible exception being Starfield but I know so little about it that I can't even say if I'll like it or not).

Also Is Vampire The Masquerade Swansong the sequel to Bloodlines or just another visual novel with the Vampire(TM) logo stamped on it?

Last edited:
Also Is Vampire The Masquerade Swansong the sequel to Bloodlines or just another visual novel with the Vampire(TM) logo stamped on it?
There calling it a narrative rpg were you can play as three different vampires. As for game-play I couldn't tell ya, as the game only has a few non-gameplay trailers.

My opinion it looks more like an adventure game were you make choices.

I don't know if it's a visual novel (probably is), but it is most definitely not Bloodlines 2.
Yep it's set in Boston not Seattle and just borrows the brand name that's all. I have no clue if Paradox will even release Bloodlines 2 as it looks to be canceled or on hiatus.

I'm keeping my eyes on several - monster hunter: rise, hogwarts legacy, expeditions: rome and broken roads.

There calling it a narrative rpg were you can play as three different vampires. As for game-play I couldn't tell ya, as the game only has a few non-gameplay trailers.

My opinion it looks more like an adventure game were you make choices.

The developer's only other game is The Council. I've not played it but the gameplay sounds a lot like Disco Elysium or Age of Decadence without the combat system (i.e., lots of dialogue / narrative choices that often require relevant skill checks). I assume Swang Song will be similar.

The developer's only other game is The Council. I've not played it but the gameplay sounds a lot like Disco Elysium or Age of Decadence without the combat system (i.e., lots of dialogue / narrative choices that often require relevant skill checks). I assume Swang Song will be similar.
Never played the council it didn't interest me at the time of it's release. So I was correct as it was labeled a Narrative Adventure game. I'll probably pass on this game as well.
It's a marriage of convenience between point & click adventure and RPG.

Back
Top Bottom