EuroGamer - Consoles Helping Niche PC Titles

magerette

Hedgewitch
Eurogamer has a brief feature article up, talking with Paradox Interactive producer Johan Anderson about how consoles can enlarge the gaming base and draw in new gamers to the PC platform. Though the genre in question is strategy, the conclusion is:
"Generally we feel it is good for the industry as a whole that more and more people are finding their way to gaming," said Andersson.
"People have been saying for years that the PC market is declining; yet we've seen massive growth and success in our niched PC segment instead.
"I don't want to predict where PC gaming in general is going, but for us, the increase in consoles has made the market more segmented, and consequently made it easier for us to reach our target audience and vice versa," he added.
More information.

What's this guy talking about? Niche games that aren't made by one or two people are practically nonexistent right now. Hardly anyone makes games like Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines or Arcanum anymore. I think as Warren Spector said, everything is either blockbuster or student film. The Witcher and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are about the only niche-ish games that I can think of that I am interested in this year, and neither of those was developed in the USA.

Paradox is not a two-man operation yet they are thriving in their niche ("hardcore" strategy), doctor_kaz.

Back
Top Bottom