Might & Magic X - Let’s do the “Tile warp” again!

As long as combat is turn based everything else for movement is fine.
Grid based is good for making your own maps - I like this.

I'm generally quite happy with grid based movement in a turn based game. It helps keep the game from bleeding over from turn based RPG to action RPG. I prefer that things like strafing stick to action RPGs.

But Dart does make a fair point that given the massive amount of filler combat in some of the MM games, having some form of real time did make it much less painful. I'd prefer the solution to be less filler, and not more real time, but it's still an important thing to keep in mind.

Yep, (at the risk of further encouraging the giant head ;) ), I agree that grid-based movement and combat is a good choice both for gameplay and cost savings. I like the kind of tactics it encourages as well. Less hand-eye coordination, and more thinking is a win for me.

I'm currently replaying M&M6 (it's really a lot of fun I'm so addicted again…). I never played any of M&M1-5 to completion. On occasion I've tried firing up World of Xeen but I just don't feel like dealing with that ancient UI.

That all said, I do like the idea of a grid based game since there really aren't that many around and those kinds of games do have charm to them. I'm hoping M&MX will have classic grid-based gameplay with a good UI that gets a job done quickly and gets out of your way.

A lot of tile based games have free movement. Does this one not have it then?

I very much like the look of the screenshots and other graphics they've come up with so far and doing this in 2D with fixed camera can make them look solid, like painting on the screen: No jitter, awkward camera angles, falling through the terrain etc.

I'm generally quite happy with grid based movement in a turn based game. It helps keep the game from bleeding over from turn based RPG to action RPG. I prefer that things like strafing stick to action RPGs.

If combat is turn-based anyways, then I don't see how free-range movement would make it more of an action-RPG.

A lot of tile based games have free movement. Does this one not have it then?

The difference between free movement and tile-based movement is that in tile-based movement you move from square to square (in the earlier Might & Magic games you could move in any direction but some early games you couldn't move diagonally) and in free movement you can move in any direction like most modern games. These styles of movement don't actually determine where you can go in the world but rather just the way you move. All of the Might & Magic games were pretty much open world games and if they keep to that the new one will also be open world.

For me, since they are going down the tile based movement route, it gives me confidence that the developers can focus more on content and mechanics. Developers sometimes lose the plot a bit when given free movement and too many choices to make revolving around it and as of a consequence to it. I think it is a fair call to take a more conservative approach initially and then be a bit more ambitious in potential future sequels.

I wasn't as impressed with the combat in MM 6 - 8 myself. Strategy felt like it was watered down more with picking off enemies in the distance with bows, fireball/meteor.

I'm happy either way and hope that they'll be successful enough to go both routes. It seems weird for UBI to back a decidedly niche product, but I'm glad they did. The one thing I'm not sure about is that MM3-5 are all 60+ hour games. I haven't heard a length for these games and I wouldn't pay anything for a little 15 hour tile game.

I'm happy either way and hope that they'll be successful enough to go both routes. It seems weird for UBI to back a decidedly niche product, but I'm glad they did. The one thing I'm not sure about is that MM3-5 are all 60+ hour games. I haven't heard a length for these games and I wouldn't pay anything for a little 15 hour tile game.

If they get it right it will be awesome PR for them apart from anything else. That's probably more important than any financial gain they might make on it.

Back
Top Bottom