What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

3c2b521a0ed1b3117d3190efc995eb5c

At least it's a sequel and not yet another reboot-remake-recycle.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - easily my favorite of his 9 movies. Epic payoff movie. I realize it’s long and at times confusingly slow and meandering but so was Jackie Brown which as a sum of the parts similarly a brilliant “convergence” movie. I just love his stuff and Pitt & DiCaprio were incredible

Notably I saw it with my son and stepson (15 & 19) who I was really surprised to hear thought it was incredible. My son really enjoyed the insight into Hollywood life and DiCaprio’s character let alone the other stuff. Surprised a bit and impressed that the movie that complex and confusingly layered could appeal across generations. Ready for Pulp Fiction then! Royale with Cheese.

Tonight, while exercising on my exercise bike I was watching "The Meg" (or "Megalodon"), a 2018 action movie about this prehistoric not-extinct-after-all huuuuge shark (3 times the length of the puny Great White), which turns out to be angry, hungry and difficult to kill. So much for the story.

Now, you might ask: Isn't this movie just a bad, hyper-inflated Jaws wannabe (ripoff)? The answer is probably yes. But I haven't seen Jaws. And besides, while on the bike, the quality of the films I watch isn't always that important. But I can say this: It's better than Sharknado. So all in all, it was a to some degree ok waste of time while exercising.

But there is one unforgivable part in this movie: The music. Not all of it, just a 1-2 minute long song. In other words, not a huge part of the soundtrack, but it's the kind of song you instantly hate, and then can't get out of your head. Now, I usually try to avoid hurting people, so I'll give the link as a spoiler. You have been warned.

pibbur who will need to spend a lot of time with the new Tool album, to regain his sanity.

I found it a bit too predictable, among other things. I don't think I would have sat down to watch it, but as I said, it was OK for exercise entartainment.

Today I think I'll watch "A quiet place". I've already seen "The Silence", which again was just OK to watch on the bike. I assume the quiet place will be an improvement.

pibbur who admits that in general he has somewhat primitive tastes when it comes to movies as he prefers effects over story.

Today I think I'll watch "A quiet place". I've already seen "The Silence", which again was just OK to watch on the bike. I assume the quiet place will be an improvement.

I would rate A Quiet Place as a good, if flawed, film. In a different category to that other stuff, IMO. Almost a bit of a shame to watch it on the bike, perhaps. Good monster effects.

I rewatched the Badlands last night, which is a film from the early seventies staring Sheen and Spacek. It starts off a bit slow, but then gets a bit more intriguing as the crimes start ramping up. I remember the first time I saw this movie it was a double feature with Mean Streets, and I pretty much enjoyed them both equally.

Just saw The Dead Don't Die. What a bizarre little movie this was. I think I liked it overall. It was kind of laid back, black comedy sometimes, but left a sour taste in my mouth in the end. Had a kind of a depressing ending. But it was cute overall.

The only thing I really didn't like was the 4th wall breaking scenes. They seemed kind of useless and seemed to have only been added to add to the weirdness/confusion. I could've done without them.

But I'm really surprised at the amazing cast it had, for the little insignificant movie it was. Really surprising. I wonder how they managed that. Did they all do the director a favor, because I can't imagine this movie having a huge budget, or being able to make that money back, if it did have a big budget.

But I'm really surprised at the amazing cast it had, for the little insignificant movie it was. Really surprising. I wonder how they managed that. Did they all do the director a favor, because I can't imagine this movie having a huge budget, or being able to make that money back, if it did have a big budget.

Same director as Coffee and Cigarettes (2003), which also had cast members: Bill Murray, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Steve Buschemi, and etc (?).

It got pretty universally panned and none of the critics I read/watched liked it, it has a user score of 5.9 on IMDB, 54% reviewer score on Rotten Tomatoes and 33% user score on Rotten Tomatoes. Most of the complaints were about the 4th wall breaking, it being too clever but not really that clever deep down, and the general pointlessness of it when there are so many better comedy zombie films you could be watching instead.

Farmageddon
A New Shaun The Sheep movie will be arriving this month.

Two movies seen recently - one old - one new:
Killer Joe - not much to say about it but pretty good. Basic something or other movie.

The Peanut Butter Falcon: This is a new movie and in a shallow sense it is your basic indie feel good movie - but it is very well done. I sort of wander into the theater not knowing what this movie was about or who was in it but it has an interesting read after the fact (and if you read up on the movie i strongly suggest you wait till after you see it). If you are looking for an action movie or one with a lot of motion this might be the wrong movie but it has good character development and very good humour - some blunt some subtle. Oh and if you like watching wrestling on tv (I don't); it has the perfect scene for you. Anyway highly recommended.

Enjoyed immensly The Gangster, the Cop, the Devil.
Says it's based on true story, could be. A gangster and a cop join forces to catch a mass murderer.

Watch it wherever you find it before Stallone releases his silly remake.

Back
Top Bottom