RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2017 - Best RPG

Try it. Its worth it.

Reminder that 2017 was a pretty good year :). Loved D:OS2, Elex, Prey, Torment, and many more.

The PC Port of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is pretty good, too.

Agreed but since I played on PSP (the year before) I didn't count it for 2017.

I see Elex as a game that took a Fallout premise, and just adopted their original take on it. Plenty of other games have tried, but I don't believe none succeeded quite as well as Elex did, at least in my opinion. I was very luck this month in that I got to enjoy two great games.

I usually find them by google searching, I've no idea if there's an easy shortcut on-site though.

Interesting poll, thanks! Yeah Torment at third was a surprise - I really didn't think there was that much warmth for it around here. And like Lackblogger, I thought Mass Effect would be higher. A lot of people slated it, but there seemed to be a quite a few vocal fans on the boards as well.

Overall it's good to see lots of variety of game types in the top 10, including a certain blobber that a small fringe of the site enjoyed… :)

I don't understand the people who whine about clunkiness. It's like all the PB games. Your swings have to be timed properly.

Some people don't have the patience to try and fail a few times it seems. Which is a shame for them because they are missing out.

Nice! Definitely want to finish the top 2 games in the list. Want to check out Battle Brothers as well because I heard so much about it. Tried Torment a bit, but it didn't draw me in - will try one day again.

Is there an archive of past winners somewhere?
Open the article and on the right hand side you find links to all previous GOTYs.
Actually it lists all RPGWatch articles, but as there aren't any besides GOTYs, it results in the same.

I am surprised DOS2 only got 38% of the votes. I played through that game three times; first with 3 origin characters. The writing for them was so good I immediately started a new game so I could pick the other three. Then did a lone wolf run. I have never played through a game three times before. More often than not, I don’t finish them at all, though I’m trying to do better about that this year.

Haven’t tried ELEX.

Gave up on TTON; just couldn’t make myself care, despite reallly wanting to.

I am surprised DOS2 only got 38% of the votes. I played through that game three times; first with 3 origin characters. The writing for them was so good I immediately started a new game so I could pick the other three. Then did a lone wolf run. I have never played through a game three times before. More often than not, I don’t finish them at all, though I’m trying to do better about that this year.
As was mentioned earlier, 4 points go to your 1st place vote, 2 points to 2nd place, 1 point to 3rd place; and the % in the list is the % of points, not votes. So, if you voted D:OS2 for 1st place, it got 50% in terms of your personal points. Getting 38% in such a system actually seems fairly remarkable, it means this wasn't even a contest really. If every single user on the site had voted D:OS2 for first place, it would have had 50%.

I clicked through all the old RPGWatch GOTY articles and the only times any other #1 game hit 38%+ were Skyrim (which also got 38%) and Dragon Age: Origins (which got 47.5%). I couldn't find the % scores for 2014 anywhere (wonder if @Myrthos; still has those around somewhere?), that was the year when D:OS1 won, so it's possible it's up there with Skyrim, DA:O, and D:OS2.

Last edited:
Yeah 38% is a really impressive score. There will be people who haven't played it yet so didn't vote for it and a minority (which includes me) who didn't particularly like it. 38% is a clear indication that the majority thought it was a great game though.

Though you might not think so 38% is massively high. It had double the votes Elex did and over 5X the votes that Torment did. What really stands out this year is how DOS2 destroyed the competition, and how in turn Elex destroyed the competition. It only gets close at 3rd place and beyond. There we have a lot of games within a couple of percent points of each other.

Some people don't have the patience to try and fail a few times it seems. Which is a shame for them because they are missing out.

Admittedly I do miss good games on occasion, based on initial impressions prior to purchase. However it's not about 'trying and failing', it's about time. I have a list of games I've been meaning to play, primarily based on word of mouth at this site-- which I trust when it's not BioWare-related. But when a game like Divinity OS2 takes me 200 hours (not at all complaining, it was awesome), the 'must play' list piles up. This list became unattainable sometime around 2010 and it's only getting worse.

I have no choice but to be more selective. As a result, games like ELEX will often fall down my list into oblivion. But this award makes me bump it up, so I will probably get around to it within a year or two. Or until I see another squirrel.

Reminder that 2017 was a pretty good year :). Loved D:OS2, Elex, Prey, Torment, and many more.

I completely agree. It's a good year. In fact, it's a good time for RPG's in my opinion. :)

Open the article and on the right hand side you find links to all previous GOTYs.
Actually it lists all RPGWatch articles, but as there aren't any besides GOTYs, it results in the same.

Thanks! Might I suggest that we consider something like a "Ring of Honor" achievement award for games 20 years old or older that have contributed significantly to the cRPG state of the art? It could be an editor's award if we don't want to run through the voting hoops again.

I didn't replay my usual number of games that I tend to in a year, so by that logic I'd say the past twelve months were pretty awesome, gaming-wise. May this year be equal or maybe even superior!

Admittedly I do miss good games on occasion, based on initial impressions prior to purchase. However it's not about 'trying and failing', it's about time. I have a list of games I've been meaning to play, primarily based on word of mouth at this site-- which I trust when it's not BioWare-related. But when a game like Divinity OS2 takes me 200 hours (not at all complaining, it was awesome), the 'must play' list piles up. This list became unattainable sometime around 2010 and it's only getting worse.

I have no choice but to be more selective. As a result, games like ELEX will often fall down my list into oblivion. But this award makes me bump it up, so I will probably get around to it within a year or two. Or until I see another squirrel.

I have 400 games on steam, all the goldbox game son GOG and NWN1 (with related modules) on GOG. Not to mention a bunch of emulated games I'd like to play before I die. I feel the same way about long games. Been trying to beat a lot of my steam games that have shorter durations. So for me to buy a new game makes little sense unless I'm trying to support a specific dev.

I do wish this 100-200 HR RPG length meme would go away. 40-60 hrs is more than enough IMO.

Back
Top Bottom