Lost Eidolons - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gematsu reports on a new turn-based tactical RPG called Lost Eidolons from Ocean Drive Studio.

Developer Ocean Drive Studio has announced single-player turn-based tactical RPG Lost Eidolons for consoles and PC. It will launch in Early Access for PC later in 2021, followed by a full launch on consoles and PC in 2022. Specific consoles were not announced, but the trailer debuted during the twitchgaming id@Xbox Showcase 2021 showcase. (Update: Ocean Drive Studio has told Gematsu that it will be available on "Xbox," but the goal is to have it playable on "PlayStation" and Switch as well. The game will support English, Korean, and other languages to be determined.)

[...]

More information.

Damn, this looks pretty good. I hope the combat is fun, but I love the aesthetics and settings. Will be following it closely.

Damn, this looks pretty good. I hope the combat is fun, but I love the aesthetics and settings. Will be following it closely.
You can say that again !
wondering when it will be on steam

Girls are very nicely done! :D Good job on the special effects and armor models! Combat looks promising. Art direction appears competent.
Bookmarked. Looks like a professional team.

Yeah looks good but sounds like a Korean console game at it's core. Funny enough the studio is based in Florida but is targeting the Korean market. Just a few nitpicks.

Never mind yep - https://oceandrive.studio/2021/02/19/meet-the-community-manager-pat-nguyen/
Name: Pat Nguyen

Your Role: Lead Community Manager @Ocean Drive Studio. My role is to keep players up to date with all things Ocean Drive Games! You’ll see me regularly writing blog posts, managing our social presence, and occasionally livestreaming!

What else?: I spent several years livestreaming as a profession long before I entered the video game industry. Back in 2014 I became a Twitch Partner and my success with streaming came mainly in the form of playing new MMORPGs as they came out. I’m a huge MMORPG enthusiast, and I’m hoping that one day I’ll have the opportunity to work on my own.

Favorite Games: My favorite genres are JRPG and MMORPG. I could easily say that the original Final Fantasy Tactics was my favorite game growing up. I spent an innumerable amount of hours and playthroughs trying different things each run, as well as internally fighting with myself on whether or not I’d recruit the overpowered Cidolfus to the roster every time.
Hint: They are a Korean developer biased towards JRPGs and MMO's.

I can live with having a modern-looking, medieval Tactical RPG inspired on Final Fantasy Tactics.

Personally I'm also not especially bothered by the project being Korean / targetted to Korean players, many of the best Tactical RPGs come from the Asian market (including Final Fantasy Tactics itself).

For now, the setting and the aesthetics are there, and the rest is down to execution, so it's a matter of waiting and seeing how it turns out.

No the whole studio is Korean look at the other blog/employee posts. I just linked the latest blog update. Hopefully the developers are good at English translation.

Believe me I've tried Chinese games that were pure Engrish at best.

Also JRPGs are Japanese not Korean. Korean RPGs have a different aesthetic.:cool:

Well yeah but what I mean is that one can't judge a game by the country where it comes from, be it Western, JRPG or KRPG (don't even know if that's a thing :D ). I personally need to see how it actually plays and feels.

I don't know if it's meant to be a console game either, but again, many great tactical RPGs are meant for console, especially when coming from the Asian market. The game I genuinely enjoyed most in 2020 was Fire Emblem Three Houses, an Asian-make console exclusive Tactical RPG.

The only thing that would worry me is that the game stayed as an Asian market exclusive, which seems to often be the case, but they went through the effort of publishing a full English intro trailer, so there is a good chance this one will make it with a proper translation.

They are a Korean developer biased towards JRPGs and MMO's.
All korean developers *were* mmocentric.

Lemme recite a curse.
Here is hope korean singleplayer RPGs do to the gaming industry the same thing their thrillers did to the movie industry.
Please raise the bar so high everyone else's childish products look moronic.
Believe me I've tried Chinese games that were pure Engrish at best.
Asian countries aren't one the same thing.
You do realize china practically banned korean entertainment products?
Okay maybe you did not know.
But now you do. And that took such extremes koreans got touchy and protest massively on anything chinese, the recent victim was Joseon Exorcist cancelled only after two episodes basically due to some chinese cookies in it. No, it did not matter to them it's a fantasy show.

But anyways, korea got into mmo saturation problem and it was only a question when will they risk the singleplayer market. china has another problem which is lootboxes but they don't seem trying to fix it much.
Professional english translation is not much of a problem when they have enough funds for it.

Last edited:
If this truly captures the strengths of Final Fantasy: Tactics without embracing some of the nonsensical game silliness pervasive these days, it will likely be a game that I'll pick up at some point.

I've heard many developers claim their game was inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics only to let down almost every time. Probably time to get rid of the rose tinted googles.

Nah time to replay Final Fantasy Tactics. Still own the original and remastered versions.

I've kept my PSP for years simply to be able to replay FFT and Ogre Battles whenever I want to. GoG or steam could make some serious coin if they ever got those two masterpieces up for computer users to purchase.

Oh no, a feminine looking women who actually has breasts and is not flat chested?? This will surely outrage a certain censor-happy sector of folk, if you know what I mean…:biggrin:

But seriously, it does look pretty good. I like that they include magic, I hate those medieval battle simulator games with no magic/wizardry.

Looks pretty good, something to watch for sure.

Not seeing anything there that stands out. It's yet another TB tactical RPG, and those seem to be getting cranked out at a pretty good pace nowadays. Eastern made RPGs generally don't vibe well with me though.

Looks pretty good. Don't care much about the developers origins as long as the gameplay is fine and you aren't sending big eyed girls with short skirts into battle.
The aesthetics looks pretty good. Maybe a little bit of lineage 2 mixed in, but "western" enough for me. Looking forward to that one!

Not seeing anything there that stands out. It's yet another TB tactical RPG, and those seem to be getting cranked out at a pretty good pace nowadays. Eastern made RPGs generally don't vibe well with me though.

I thinks its the visuals which attract people here. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark was a good recent game in this genre, but when I recommended it, some people who are making positive remarks in this thread said they couldn't play a game with its visuals, because they found it looked too cartoony, too Japanese, or not attractive enough.
Its the same reason why X-Com 2 or Gear:Tactics did so well. There is a mass of similar games on the market, but none of them look as slick or sound as good. I'm not wholey immune to this either, Games like Realms of Antiquity which look like early Ultima clones, are just too primative for me.

Hey all, I made a forum account so I could answer questions about the game (please feel free to ask anything). I'm one of the people working on the game and also the community lead, whose blog intro was quoted earlier in this thread.

To the discussion previous in this thread, while it's true much of our team is based Korea, many of us (including myself) are based in the US, California. We've worked on a lot of games developed in Korea in the past, but with Ocean Drive Studio we looked to put that behind us and work on games for a western audience first. This includes things like voice acting and localization.

Our game isn't quite inspired by FFT. We just happened to be fans of the game growing up. If anything it's much more inspired by the Fire Emblem series, with some taste acquired from other games from the genre, but perhaps more subdued.

I thinks its the visuals which attract people here. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark was a good recent game in this genre, but when I recommended it, some people who are making positive remarks in this thread said they couldn't play a game with its visuals, because they found it looked too cartoony, too Japanese, or not attractive enough.

That's interesting because I don't think Arbiter's Mark looks Japanese at all. It's bright and colorful, but the style isn't anime, and the characters are realistically proportioned.

I don't mind cartoony visuals once in awhile as long as it's not anime.

Back
Top Bottom