South Park RPG - Good Times With Weapons: The Combat

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameInformer has an interview with Matt MacLean, Lead Designer on Obsidian's South Park RPG. It's a 6 minute direct to camera conversation with only a couple of still shots to break it up but - here's the accompanying blurb:
Combine Obsidian Entertainment's extensive knowledge of RPG design with the personal gaming tastes of South Park's Matt Stone and Trey Parker and you end up with the combat mechanics of South Park: The Game. Taking cues from the Paper Mario series, the combat is a turn-based exercise that depends largely on the player's active and precise participation. Matt MacLean is the lead designer on the game and he sat down with us to talk about the tone of the overall game, the mechanics of combat, and what the South Park RPG has learned from Final Fantasy 7.
More information.

I still can't belive that Obsidian is doing a south park game. Their talent is truly wasted. Hopefully south park guys pay them good and hopefully it allows obsidian to make real rpgs in the future.

I was interested in this game, until I realized Obsidian was making it.

why is it we can't make real turned based rpg's because there's no market for it but we can make turn based comedy rpg's. WTF.

We're not just making fun of games we're kicking old time gamers square in the nuts.

I love how the casual-console-gamer-carebear-fanbois salivate over this mess!

You guys forgot to mention that it will also totally suck because it's going to use the DS3 engine!

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Obsidian making a South Park game with combat inspired by Final Fantasy with the DS3 engine! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes… The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!

We need more fantasy roleplaying games where you are the chosen one and save the world. Less of these... other things, yuck! I just can't take comedy seriously.

We need more fantasy roleplaying games where you are the chosen one and save the world. Less of these… other things, yuck! I just can't take comedy seriously.

Ha ha - can't take comedy seriously...that's gold.

Sort of surprised by the hatred but then again not really. I'm mostly indifferent since I don't follow South Park and really my only issue is this means Obsidian isn't working on something else I want more. But I hope they succeed as Obsidian failing doesn't mean we get more RPGs we want.

Back
Top Bottom