The TV Series discussion thread

Yeah I'd like to see Man in a High Castle, but I'm not buying ever darn website in existence that does television shows. Netflix is my one concession, the rest I'll rent from the library when they come out. I'll have to hope some cable venue in Canada shows Expanse, if not, I always have the novels at least.

You don't need to buy anything if you're after just that show on amazon as they offer 30 days free trial:
https://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Castle/dp/B00RSGFRY8
However amazon has more nice stuff to offer so you might still budge as it's not that expensive. You can cancel it any time and pay for a month sometime in the future to catch up on shows you missed in between. There is no reason to watch something the very day it airs so why not. If something is good, who cares if it's not new?

The only problem you might have is stupid geoblocking. Paying or not, if you're outside of USA you'll most probably need some VPN to access Prime. Again, you may use VPNs with free trial, for example Getflix or ExpressVPN. Note that using VPN is shady, but for all I know no law exists that states it's illegal and besides you're a paying customer (okay, not in case of free trial) and it's not your fault prime uses geoblocking. All in all, amazon won't refuse your $, wherever you are it's still money and they want it. ;)

Another solution is to wait till some ground/cable network available in your area airs it stuffed with commercials every few minutes but well… :(

The third solution would be streaming at another cheaper service or service with ads, but in this case I'm not sure if any site other than amazon streams this show legally so maybe trial (with VPN if needed) is currently the safest option.

Usually when I couldn't watch something by any means for ages the solution was importing DVD. And then search for fan subs if it's nonenglish product to slap on it. Sadly, you may forget waiting for DVD. Amazon won't burn their shows on optical media as that'd be an unwanted competition for their stream service on US soil.
Whoever invented geoblocking should be jailed. Lifetime sentence ofc.

EDIT:

Yea, forgot. Some countries ban TV shows and movies. I can't know if this show is banned in your country, but if it is, you should definetly circumvent the ban with VPN. You have your own mind and taste to decide yourself if the show is good or bad, there is no need for censorship and besides censoring is bad for business. I mean banning, not rating. Rating is good, especially when done by "nonprofit organization" like:
https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/the-man-in-the-high-castle

In some of those "touchy" countries VPN is illegal (example: China). If you live in such country, hell, pirate it.
Censors need to go to jail too. Again, for life.

Last edited:
Six Flying Dragons is supposed to be historical martial arts masterpiece series...

That kind of premise is sounds too good to be true... Shame about the series.

Have you seen into the badlands? It is an other martial arts series. Not historical in any sense. Rather the series is set in a distant future where there is very little left of known civilization today. What we have now instead are just "badlands" which are ruled by Barons and their kin. Mankind has lost much of previous knowledge including the knowledge how to make firearms, so they fight with swords and barons train their armies in martial arts. Even barons themselves are crazy bunch of kickass martial artists.

Now a word of warning. The plot of this series is utter nonsense, but I find it quite entertaining to watch due nicely choreographed fight scenes. And actors are pretty entertaining bunch as well. They are well aware that they are not working for the next emmy, but they know how to make the silly script and crazy premise work. :)

Also a shout for the karate kid tv series sequel: Cobra Kai. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7221388/

As a kid of eighties I loved the orginal karate kid film. Ralph Macchio and William Zabka have revived it with style. While Karate kid was definitely a family film, this new series is aimed for those who grew up watching karate kid. It feels quite modern, but relies on nostalgia as well. :)

I didn't watch IT Badlands and I told you before it's… It didn't sound like something I'd like. But okay, I'll give it a shot, at least the first season.
Not today though, I have some other plans.

I've mentioned in another thread some other history based show, Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People.
Watch it's first two episodes and… I promise you won't be able to stop.

It evolves around strong characters and performances actors did in it are masterful. Everyone is believable, so believable you'll hate it's villains and at the same time love them for delivering roles with such power. Before you ask, the actress who plays the mother is Yi-Sook Seo. And you'll ask that after you finish it.
Of course it's not 100% historically accurate, but it is trying to be as accurate as possible, there is a special "prequel" episode about that (you don't need to watch it though and perhaps you shouldn't because of spoilers).

Note that gore almost doesn't exist and you're rather told then shown atrocities, you'll see nothing vulgar and blood is toned down even in cases where in reality it's not possible. For example a severed head is shown being in a bag, but with almost no blood stains.
This doesn't take anything away from the show really, but it was done that way because of rating. In USA it's classified under TV 14, but elsewhere you'll most probably notice Rating: 15+ (15 or older).

Where do I put this one? It's not a masterpiece, sure, but it's... A mustwatch before you die.

Ah I forgot that I had already mentioned it. If you said so, well it probably isn't something you would enjoy. :)

I tried watching Into the Bad Lands for the first two series, then gave up as the overall plot just seemed absurd. Or non-existent. Maybe both, even.

I've never used my computer to watch television or movies, and I doubt that will ever change. So, for me to watch something, it has to be on my Canadian cable service, dvd, or Netflix. And, of course, I have to know about it.

Have you seen into the badlands?

Now a word of warning. The plot of this series is utter nonsense, but I find it quite entertaining to watch due nicely choreographed fight scenes. And actors are pretty entertaining bunch as well. They are well aware that they are not working for the next emmy, but they know how to make the silly script and crazy premise work. :)
Okay, binged first two seasons - dunno if I'll continue (the third is currently airing/streaming).

The show is laughable. :)
It feels bad writing for a cancelled videogame that was later turned into a TV show. The story is as bland and dull as it can be, I guess it's aimed to mindless people. Continuation between episodes and seasons does not exist, new "facts" are tossed in randomly and most of it is either unbelievable or basically a plot hole. Characters and their development… It just won't happen. Can't happen with this kind of writing. And of course, trashmobs respawn indefinetly while supports (people for cloth and feed them) are almost nonexisting. The first season's biggest sin, no humor, was addressed in the second season through a new character that is, supposed to be, funny. Well, he isn't.

There is however, but.
To some audience only cute people matter, not the actual content. You'll rarely see anyone in this show that isn't cute. While such hollywoodization where only plastic is acceptable makes me sick in "proper" works, since the show lacks af actual quality, this could be seen as redeeming feature.
There is absolutely no chemistry between any pair of characters. Friends, lovers or opponents, forget any believable performance, there are no feelings too see as if they all went to Kristen Stewart's school of presenting emotions on screen. Monologues are somewhat okay, but dialogues… Horrors. Except in one case. The first season actually has pretty strong "stepfather"-"stepson"/teacher-pupil moments (won't spoil more), but these aren't flashed out properly and to my disappointment were completely removed in the second season.
Stunts are generally okay, sometimes when not exaggerating with ropes are awsome (second season, shackles fight scene for example).

I don't see any reason to watch this show, then again, this one can be guilty pleasure of a sort so give it a shot if you have nothing else to do.

Similar product to this show, in form of a movie, is Kill Order. Oh, I know you've never heard of it, but if you liked anything in ITB, find this movie. IMO it's much better than ITB.
And don't forget the show I mentioned above. Rebel: Thief Who Stole The People. It's streaming practically on all legal services with ads, so find some that licensed it in your region (Viki, DramaFever, VIU). Stunts are not as good in it, but everything else outshines what can be seen in the other two titles mentioned in this post.

Last edited:
I started The Rain on Netflix.
It's a Danish show about some virus that got put into the rain somehow and killed a large part of the population.
The main actors are two siblings who were put in a bunker by their father who seems to have created the virus to save his son from some disease.

They try to find him and are taken in by a group of survivors.

It's like a survival show without the zombies.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

That woman is a sandwich short of a picnic. She was running for president as a Green Party candidate a couple of years ago. This was bound to happen.

One might disagree, but I doubt it was kneejerk. ABC is a Disney property, and I suspect they were pretty clear-minded about their response. As a PR move I'd say it was a no-brainer for them.

The show was canceled like 90 minutes after the news about the Tweet broke. Of course it's about PR though. That's like saying the sky is blue.

Sure, but my point is I think it was a very clearcut decision, and the same decision they'd have made if they'd taken a month to think about it.

There's no scenario where they would have taken a month to think about a situation like this.

If you mean it was a clear-cut decision made solely out of concern for the network's PR, then yeah. I think it was a shit decision, but nothing is more important than PR to network execs.

Right, I'm just saying that if there's a problem with the decision, I don't think being too hasty was it - that's what they were always going to do.

I feel sorry for Sara Gilbert. I read a piece a while ago, and she was really the one who worked hard to get the reboot off the ground.

Wait… Roseanne Barr? That show still exists? And she's still alive?!
Why I remember it? It's few episodes gave me nightmares 20 years ago. It was possibly the worst thing I've ever seen on TV.

On the tweet and stuff I can say only one thing. Whatever.
Because the last time I saw her was this (sorry for bad video it's not my recording):

What did they expect after that? She becoming a swan?

I guess I should have used a different adjective, because I'm not just referring to the timing here. I'm talking about the severity of the decision and whether or not it was really the right one.

I feel sorry for the entire crew not just Sara Gilbert. There are a lot of working class people involved in the production process.

Back
Top Bottom