Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
You're certainly just the kind of audience he profits from :)

So he is just like the corporations then? Out to make money off people? :)

I agree that hating corporations for making is "silly" but its also "silly" for hating the Jim guy as well since lets face it, he is also out to make money :)

Full disclosure, I have only seen 1 or 2 Jim videos as I can't stand him :p

So he is just like the corporations then? Out to make money off people? :)

I agree that hating corporations for making is "silly" but its also "silly" for hating the Jim guy as well since lets face it, he is also out to make money :)

Full disclosure, I have only seen 1 or 2 Jim videos as I can't stand him :p

I don't hate anyone.

But I can tell when YT videos are contributing or not according to their own presentation - or whether people are who they claim to be, within that context.

Jim spreads misinformation, and is obviously self-serving. You don't have to be a genius to figure out why he's making so many videos - when one-tenth would suffice.

He's catering to people who embrace this myth of how things are black and white - and microtransactions are malicous or deceitfully "encouraged" in all cases.

I already caught him lying in several cases - including with AC:Odyssey which was perfectly playable and most certainly didn't require XP boosts to feel like a naturally progressing game. That was flat-out bullshit, and I know - because I'm extremely opposed to that kind of grinding.

Is that unusual? To be a schmuck? Not at all - but it's also my perception, and I'm explaining why I think he's worthless and catering.

You're certainly just the kind of audience he profits from :)
No. It's vice versa - I profit from him because I don't have to say/write/film things myself thus I can concentrate on fun stuff. Like… "Trolling teh forums" Sims 4 ingame activity I always max first.

Sterling gets paid through Patreon and I'm not registered there. His streams are without ads. I am also not subscribed to his yt channel. And I don't watch absolutely everything he uploads.

I don't hate anyone.

But I can tell when YT videos are contributing or not according to their own presentation - or whether people are who they claim to be, within that context.

Jim spreads misinformation, and is obviously self-serving. You don't have to be a genius to figure out why he's making so many videos - when one-tenth would suffice.

He's catering to people who embrace this myth of how things are black and white - and microtransactions are malicous or "encouraged" in all cases.

Is that unusual? Not at all - but it's also my perception, and I'm explaining why I think he's worthless and catering.

Yes "hate" is strong word so my mistake for using it :)

I don't know if he spreads misinformation or not but isn't all you tube channels self serving? They all want clicks and likes and all the ad money? I don't find anything wrong with that.

No. It's vice versa - I profit from him because I don't have to say/write/film things myself thus I can concentrate on fun stuff. Like… "Trolling teh forums" Sims 4 ingame activity I always max first.

Sterling gets paid through Patreon and I'm not registered there. His streams are without ads. I am also not subscribed to his yt channel. And I don't watch absolutely everything he uploads.

He's profiting from your perception - and your willingness to spread your own ignorance as gospel.

Not that I mind :)

If you want to tell yourself he's doing you a favor by encouraging your ignorance, that's all good.

Yes "hate" is strong word so my mistake for using it :)

I don't know if he spreads misinformation or not but isn't all you tube channels self serving? They all want clicks and likes and all the ad money? I don't find anything wrong with that.

I don't invest in whether someone is self-serving or not. I do tend to notice when people present themselves as something other than self-serving, and then proceed to be almost entirely self-serving.

As for your opinion of that kind of thing, that's cool.

Personally, I'm a fan of honesty and serious attempts to bring people correct and reasonably objective information. At least, much more so than the opposite.

I don't watch most of Sterling's videos. I do watch his reviews, "Jimpressions" as they're called, when it's a game I'm interested in. I agree that he hammers the same points over and over much of the time. I just find that my tastes and ideas about games often match his opinions.

Oh, he does have many good points. As I said, I found him more interesting in the beginning.

The problem is that he's using his own bad experience in the industry - and paints absolutely everything that even remotely smells of a cash-grab, as malicious and deceitful - exaggerating every chance he gets.

In fact, one of the reasons I feel he's not worth watching - is that I actually trusted him a few times in the past - which kept me away from certain games. This includes Odyssey - where I ended up buying it with some trepidation, only to discover that his claims about that game were false.

That kind of thing made me pay more attention - and it only became ever more apparent that this is basically a witch-hunt.

I'm sure he thinks he's doing the "right thing" - and I'm sure the way he's turned it into this self-serving hate-train business is some kind of holy crusade, from his own point of view.

To me, though, it's incredibly destructive - and only serves to increase the problems within the industry - by punishing those publishers and developers who're genuinely trying to make great games.

We need a balanced discussion to combat overt greed and microtransactions that actually hurt game designs - as opposed to the inevitable need to get a return on a big investment.

As long as the monetary system is in place - there's absolutely no way we could ever reasonably expect the people holding the cash to sacrifice their own profit in every conceivable way - and just give us everything we want for a low, low price.

Art and money is a terrible combination - but it's a compromise we're going to have to live with for the time being.

We need a balanced discussion to combat overt greed and microtransactions that actually hurt game designs - as opposed to the inevitable need to get a return on a big investment.
No we don't. We're not CEOs (at least most of us) and brainstorming on how to avoid laws and taxes, about how to manipulate and scam people, is not we, customers, need to discuss. We're also not politicians nor work for government comittees (most of us) to discuss regulating the practice that hurts citizens of a country and that country's annual tax.

We just need to stop being sheep giving wool away just because won the voted worst company vote said: "surprise mechanics".

No we don't. We're not CEOs (at least most of us) and brainstorming on how to avoid laws and taxes, about how to manipulate and scam people, is not we, customers, need to discuss. We're also not politicians nor work for government comittees (most of us) to discuss regulating the practice that hurts citizens of a country and that country's annual tax.

We just need to stop being sheep giving wool away just because won the voted worst company vote said: "surprise mechanics".

You don't want balance? Surprise :)

That's certainly an opinion :)

I want to see scammers incarcerated for life. Today.
Don't care about any balance, balance ruined (certain) videogames.

Why not the death penalty? All of them!
No. That punishment is practiced only in barbaric countries and historically always abused by similar2CEOs psychopaths to gain more wealth or as scapegoat no questions asked later.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall Revelations Interview - WCCFTech

At PDXCON 2019 I had the chance to speak to Lennart Sas, the game director for Planetfall, and asked him why the studio has moved away from the fantasy setting, what they think of the science fiction, and what they’re plans for the future are. If you haven’t had a chance to see the new trailer for Revelations yet, you can see it right here.
Corven - Feature Video 1 - Movable Objects

In this first feature video I quickly show how you can move objects around in the world, just like you might be used to from Ultima. By double clicking the object you can move it directly. If you single click it you will get a context menu with everything you can do with this object.
System Shock Remastered Edition - Update #62
Welcome back to another monthly System Shock update! We have quite a variety of things to show you this month, hackers. Let's start with some in-engine views of the levels.
The Surge 2 - Public Enemy Weapon Pack Released - Steam
Expand your The Surge 2 experience with the Public Enemy Weapon Pack and get access to 13 brand new weapons. From pillaged CREO equipment to nanite-infected staves and recycled rotor blades, find the enemies that equip them, cut them off and equip them for yourself in your fight for Jericho City!

Last edited:
Hmm, first I heard of Corven. I'll keep an Eye out!

Pillars of Eternity - A Potential Sequel? - Josh's Blog
Will there be a Pillars 3?

That is not something that I get to decide, but I do think that the relatively low sales of Deadfire mean that if we consider making another Pillars game in this style, we’re going to have to re-examine the entire format of the game.

It is difficult to know exactly why a sequel sells worse than its predecessor if both games review relatively well. Is it because the first game satisfied the existing need and the audience just wasn’t interested in the second? Is it because awareness was lower for the sequel? Is it because despite the strong reviews and the strong sales for the first game, people didn’t “really” like it? Maybe it’s a combination of all of these things.

Seems he thinks good reviews should translate to copies sold.

These games have a small audience compared to, say, Outer Worlds - which is very heavily inspired by a game that had a dozen million copies shipped within 24 hours.

Can that audience grow? I'm sure it could - but I'd say there's a pretty rigid cap that is extremely hard to exceed if you make throwback games.

Back
Top Bottom