WindowsCentral - 4/5

PC Invasion - 7/10

Wccftech - 7.5/10

Gamepur - GreedFall Review - A Fun Time, But Nothing Ground Breaking

The current Metacritic score is 77/100

Eurogamer:

Greedfall review - technical shortcomings are overcome by an abundance of heart

[...]

GreedFall has more than its fair share of faults, and its curious mix of the sweet and the sour is far from a roleplaying revelation. But the elements that matter have been imbued with such love and care - so much so that I quickly forgave this ambitious RPG its shortcomings.
More information.

Without having an own opinion about the game yet, it seems they finally get fair reviews and scores.

I'm happy for Spiders. I hope they start the day with some Champagne.

No open world as I predicted:
" Assets are re-used constantly. The game isn’t open-world and instead uses zones à la older BioWare titles. These zones can be quite large, but they’re cobbled together from a small pool of assets. I hope you like forests in autumn, as that’s almost all of what you’ll be seeing."

I'm glad it's being received better than their past games. Judging by the way people kept comparing it to DA/Witcher, I expected a massive negative rant on how unpolished it was at launch.

Only played a couple of minutes at midnight (Kingdom Come: Deliverance proved to be much longer than I expected and I failed to finish it before the release of Greedfall, damn). After the trailers I expected Spiders stepping up into Piranha Bytes territory, but my initial impression is that it's definitely a Spiders game, not open-world, but hubs. It totally feels like Technomancer. The very first NPC you meet is basically Sean Mancer in different clothes, kind of an asset flip, LOL.

" Assets are re-used constantly. The game isn’t open-world and instead uses zones à la older BioWare titles. These zones can be quite large, but they’re cobbled together from a small pool of assets. I hope you like forests in autumn, as that’s almost all of what you’ll be seeing."

I do love forests in autumn. Best time of the year and in a forest. Well now I will have to buy this game. Thanks for the info.

I'm liking the game so far. Honestly, to me the fact that it doesn't have an open world isn't negative, and in some instances it's pretty positive. I'm tired of getting lost on vast fields of nothing. Open world must be well done or not done at all. Hub-based scenarios can be much more entertaining if they're well hand-crafted and make every nook and cranny consequential and fulfilling to explore.

8/10 scores seem to be hitting about the mark from my current 3-4 hours of gameplay experience. We'll see if it gets better or worse as it progresses.

Last edited:
No surprise as that's exactly what was advertised.
So your prediction might be right, but it's quite redundant. ;)

Nice to see the scores. This isn't an AAA company with multi-million dollar budgets. I was impressed with Technomancer (even if I wasn't thrilled with the respawning) and so far Greedfall has also impressed.

I for one like the style and enjoy when a game has some similar concepts/design as it helps me feel comfortable and at home. And the differences are also very apparent in the setting. I am not going in expecting perfect polish and high budget production ... but for what it is I think its good so far. Course I need to really get into it to be sure and could change my mind. This is just first impressions after all.

Honestly, to me the fact that it doesn't have an open world isn't negative, and in some instances it's pretty positive. I'm tired of getting lost on vast fields of nothing. Open world must be well done or not done at all. Hub-based scenarios can be much more entertaining if they're well hand-crafted and make every nook and cranny consequential and fulfilling to explore.

This is my sentiment as well. I too prefer self contained "large" areas as found in Gothic 1 and 2 instead of huge empty open world like Skyrim filled with generics dungeon, loot and monsters etc.

Give me a small hand placed and hand crafted world any day.

I didn't know much about this game at all till now seeing these post and its giving me a good "Gothic " vibe so I will have to check it out as well.

This is my sentiment as well. I too prefer self contained "large" areas as found in Gothic 1 and 2 instead of huge empty open world like Skyrim filled with generics dungeon, loot and monsters etc.

While I loved Gothic 2, Skyrim is hardly a huge empty world. And while there is some repetition, I didn't find the dungeons, monsters, towns, cities, quests, and even NPCs to be generic.

I haven't played this yet but I watched the Buy, Rent, Sell review of this and the game looks pretty good imo. He was clear to point out some shortcomings but also to contextualize the expectations people should have; that this isn't a triple A game but more a double A. He clearly loved the game and what I saw looked pretty damn good (coming from a lover of the Gothics and Elex).

As far as the open world vs hub debate... that's just a personal preference and in no way defines whether a game will be great, mediocre or shite.

Some of my all-time favourite games have been open world and some hubs.

Once people have played a while, I'd love a comparison with Risen 3. It gave me those vibes more than anything else.

Once people have played a while, I'd love a comparison with Risen 3. It gave me those vibes more than anything else.

I've played it a bit. I would compare it to Risen 3 and The Witcher 2.

Sorry, but that's pure semantics. Being split into zones doesn't mean it's not open world. Some people seem to think that open-world means one giant sandbox. I don't agree with that at all.

As long as the zones are large, and you have significant freedom within them (i.e. you're not just being herded through large corridors), I consider it open-world.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/10/greedfall-review/

I wonder why so many reviewers simply don't bother. For God's sake, they could just hire someone who actually likes RPGs to review games.

I think that this author shouldnt be taken seriously:

one time a mission’s waypoint ceased to exist so I had to manually navigate through the world like it was 2004

The game makes a few mistakes in this regard — there isn’t a barber, or a place where you can change your makeup

Do we really have to read RPG reviews from morons like this in 2019?

While I loved Gothic 2, Skyrim is hardly a huge empty world. And while there is some repetition, I didn't find the dungeons, monsters, towns, cities, quests, and even NPCs to be generic.

Dungeons in Skyrim are a lesson on copy/paste. There are 4 main types and everything else is copy paste.

Monsters are another copy paste lesson. You get bandits, rogue mages, wolfs and more bandits.

Loot - Randomly generated and level scaled ....

NPC - I don't remember a single memorable NPC. Lydia doesn't count!

If Skyrim's size was reduced to say 1/4 then it would have been a great game as you would have less need for copy paste etc. And that was my point, I rather have smaller world (Gothic) and less copy paste.

Just read this review and, wow, it's pretty bad:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/10/greedfall-review/

I wonder why so many reviewers simply don't bother. For God's sake, they could just hire someone who actually likes RPGs to review games.

In one review, they were complaining about lack of mini map! How can I navigate this world and do quest without mini map! Learn to navigate the world by its landmarks and it will feel more alive and immersive.

Back
Top Bottom