The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Some of us have spare +1 tomes; I think I have at least 1 Con tome somewhere I can't use.

A circle dance with a firewall will do wonders as well, now that you're level 8.

I agree to that. It has become my Wizard's fvourite spell now (and he's concentrating on fire, mostly).

- I did a fast, and really smooth Tomb Of The Shdow Guard run yesterday evening (before I went out being too tired to play anymore), and it was quite a good thing with 3 people + 1 hireling (originally 4 people, but 1 dropped somehow).

The group's sorcerer didn't survive the first tunnel's swimming, but after I had told him to use the underwater-mmoss patches, he did : Like the underwater-moss in The Red Fens it gives one a temporary spell of … what's the word ? Water breathing ? water action ? Well, after that it went really good.

What I didn't understand, though, was, why my Cleric couldn't get this quest again; he quest giver only told me to ask some "Master", of whom I have forgotten the name. I assume that this has something to do with my Cleric doing all NecroII-quests except Shadow Crypt.

I could enter the Tomb, somehow, though; and we did it on "normal" difficulty.

If you have spare Tomes, I would be more then willing to trade. I've been lucky enough to find a few good deals on tomes for between 10K - 20K. I also saw the price for +2/+3 Tomes :eek:. I've been pretty focused on Achieving Veteran Status as F2P. At 800/1000 Favor so far. So close yet it still feels so far...not many more F2P quests left. About to hit level 12 as well.

Well, I'm a bit weird, maybe, but I personally think that the Phiarlan Carnival pack is a good one, but I'm imho quite biased, because I find this pack so much different than the rest … It is the - as far as I know - only pack where social interaction skills really matter …
And it is 35 % off right now … But on the other hand it is originally level 5 ...

I actually have a spare +2 con tome, so next time we're on together Sherwin remind me and you can have it.

... If anyone has a spare INT tome to give away : I would like to give my Cleric a little bit more of it. His INT value of 12 looks a little bit low in my eyes.
(Meanwhhile I just found out that my Artificer has the value of 10 in both WIS and CHA. But so far he went relatively well with that.) (Edit : Uh, just found out that my Ranger has a Charisma value of 8 ... Well, he's a 28 Points Build ...)

I have a few spare +2 Tomes and +1 Tomes I know I have a spare +2 CON tome as I saw in my bank while on Zyn, I may have a spare +2 INT tome as well for you Alrik, I'll check next time I log in

Clerics don't need any Int, just ask Peter!! :D

Yes, I know, but INT gives a little bit more defense against spells, if I recall correctly.
Plus, I'd like my Cleric to have a few more skill points, too.

Anyone remember the average rank our Friday toons should be at? I know I was behind a bit but don't want to get ahead by a ton either.

Yes, it would be good to know the average level to have by Friday...I might start a new character on a different server during the week to not get too far ahead if I'm going to do the Friday evening runs.

Anyone remember the average rank our Friday toons should be at? I know I was behind a bit but don't want to get ahead by a ton either.
The magic number shall be 56, and 56 shall be the magic number. I believe you and Master Corwin are rank behind while Az is 1 rank ahead (we expected that with him running 1st lifers). I don't know how far Peter has gotten—he was 57 when I took inventory on Friday, but was pugging something the other day while JM and I ran Ataraxia (with Az's level 8 pale master) to catch up from rank 54. It doesn't really matter, although I worry he might have to run some quests for 0XP since he won't be able to take level 12 before he bumps 13. As long as he's OK with that potential "penalty", his free-lancing doesn't really affect the group in any way. Ataraxia is the "designated catch-up area", BTW.

We also did a lot of work in Red Fens during that session, but not with Friday toons. As soon as Jm and I hit rank 56, we swapped to other toons to stay even with the group.

Plan for this week:
1) Red Fens flagging quests
2) Red Fens grand finale quest
3) Take level 12

@Sherwin- rank 56 qualifies you for level 12, but we have to complete Red Fens before taking the level or we'd break our bravery streak. There's some really good item sets available in Red Fens and we'll guest pass you in if you want to join in. There is a healthy time investment since you only get a chance for the second half of each set after running the 4th "finale" quest. We should be able to blow thru the flagging quests in roughly 30 minutes each, but the last quest usually takes over an hour even when you know what you're doing.

Ok got to 56 and holding then, using Ataraxia explorers and rares I got. So am caught up and should be on the right page of the Big Book of questing. ;)

Clerics don't need any Int, just ask Peter!! :D

True. Neither paladins nor clerics need a high int. I usually start my toons with 8 or 10 int. You only need int for skills and there aren't many you need to build.

Paladin: UMD, balance, jump
Cleric: Concentration, balance, jump

If you're a human you can do fine with just 8 int since you get an extra skill point per level. For other races I think 10 int is enough. If you get a +2 int tome it means you can build up another skill. For some paladin builds it can help to get intimidate. Clerics can try for diplomacy etc.

I think that in order to make a good build for your class you really need to find which attributes you need to boost and which can be a dump stat. Don't use experiences from PnP D&D or other D&D games.

ALL classes need to get a decent constitution. I think no classes should start with lower than 14 con. Some races and classes should start with 16 or maybe even 18.

Strength is another stat to keep at least at 10. Quite a lot higher if you intend to do some melee. I don't think strength is a dump stat because it depends on how much you can carry. Even wizards need to carry their gear. :) Melee classes should try to boost their strength as much as possible. Clerics can get away with strength in the 10-14 range before getting boosts from items.

Charisma is a dump stat for all classes who don't need charisma (paladin, sorcerer, favored soul, cleric, bard). I don't boost cha to the top as a paladin because str and con are more important. With boosts from items and tomes you get high enough. Starting with around 14 cha for a paladin seems right. Clerics can start with 10-14 dependent of the build. If you want to turn undead well you probably should start with 14. Favored soul can start with decent cha for mana, but wisdom is actually more important for difficulty for monsters to resist the spells. Sorcerers and bards need a high charisma.

Dexterity is often a dump stat unless you need it for feats, skills etc. Some classes like rogues need a high dexterity.

Wisdom is another typical dump stat unless you're a monk, cleric or favored soul. Even paladins can use wisdom as a dump stat. They only need to get to wis 14 after items. A +6 wis item means you can start with 8 wis and still be able to cast level 4 spells. Warforged can even start with 6 wisdom and get 14 wisdom with a +2 wis tome.

To make a good build you define which stats you want to max out and go for them. If you try to have a decent score in all stats you will not excel in anything and the build will suffer.

I think most melees only add strength every 4th level. Every +2 strength you get means +1 to hit and +1 to damage. Those add up with enhancements as well. Expect to see fighters with 40+ strength at level 20.

I think putting points in the prime stat only is the way to go in most cases. If you end up at level 20 with an odd number stats you can boost them to even with epic gear (from commendations) or epic enhancements.

A TR2 will get 1.5 ranks from all Red Fens quests. I can do that and still be within level 12. So leveling after Red Fens should be good. My paladin only did Vault of Night 5 since we never run raids in the guild. The group he played in failed in Von6 because one of the 12 managed to summon a black pudding. The pudding attacked the pillar all the time and broke the prep. After the 4th prep attempt the clerics were out of mana and we decided to just leave. So the morale is to never bring summons to Von 6.

I will redo Von 5-6 later, but it's no hurry since Von 6 elite won't give much XP. I hope to get to a group with Von 5 normal and Von 6 elite. I can find those at level 15+ easily. Von 5 elite you rarely see above level 12 due to the bravery bonus. You can expect 40-60k XP from Von5 and only 4-6k from Von6. So getting the bravery bonus for Von5 is really a must.

My cleric is already level 12. He completed Red Fens last Saturday and will be almost at the same XP level as my paladin will be after Red Fens is completed. I guess we go to the desert after Red Fens? Those quests are level 10-11 so we can be level 12.

I think you can do some quests, Cm, to get to rank 57. You will probably get 2 ranks since you're only a TR1). I think it doesn't matter if those of you who sometimes fall behind play a little extra and get a rank or two more than us. Usually we catch up so it's good to have a buffer.

I managed to blast through the Red Fens quests with my cleric with less than 20 min per flagging quest and just 30 min for the final quest. We did most of the optionals. If you know what to do then it's possible. We will probably need more time since not all are familiar with the quests. Having to rely upon hirelings means we have to be more careful as well. That will slow us down.

Back
Top Bottom