Nintendo Switch some news

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
Seems to be a fiasco ( in japanese, Tsunami) in the making. From their webpage:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/specs/index.html#1

For those of you who can't speak japanese:

It has Lithium-ion battery, capacity 4310 mAh
This thing can't be removed( well not officialy). To change it, you need to trail off to Nintendo service center, to get it done for a fee.
Duration is about 2.5 to 6.5 hours, depending on the game. ( For weeboos hentai games it may extend).
Charging time: about 3 hours.

Sounds like they were inspired with electric razors for this. :p

2.5 - 6.5 hours of gaming is not bad considering the screen is 720p. The Shield (1080p) gets 2-4 or so and that has a screen that is 2 inches bigger.

Anyway, I think the Switch is cool. I hope it has a bunch of quirky RPGs that would have fit on the DS/3DS. There are/were a lot of interesting RPGs on both of those systems. Either way I'm going to get it for the basic Nintendo stuff and hopefully it surprises in the RPG department as well.

Bomberman will be epic.

bomberman-rules_o_2076723.jpg

Depends on the appreciation. Not a portable console, but a transportable one. It makes a huge difference.

In the same vein, console performances are known to decrease when playing off the charger.

Customers expecting a portable console are going to be disappointed.

It's being marketed mainly as a console so I don't think the battery life is going to be that big of a deal.

The new Zelda game looks fantastic, but there are some things about the console that concern me. First of all, I think the controller looks very uncomfortable. It's bulky, and I don't like the shape of it. There's going to be another controller called the Nintendo Switch Pro, but that's going to cost you an additional $70+ tax.

The other thing that disappoints me is the lack of any backwards compatibility. One reason I didn't purchase a Wii U was because it was rumored that the Switch was going to be backwards compatible. Of course that rumor turned out to be false. There's only a small handful of Wii U games I was interested in playing, but it still sucks to know that I won't be playing them unless I purchase a Wii U which I'm not going to do at this point.

It's going to be a wait and see for me. I was impressed by the Zelda footage, but I'm not going to buy a Switch for that alone. If their library isn't better than it was for the Wii U, then this will be another Nintendo console I'll be skipping.

The other thing that disappoints me is the lack of any backwards compatibility. One reason I didn't purchase a Wii U was because it was rumored that the Switch was going to be backwards compatible. Of course that rumor turned out to be false. There's only a small handful of Wii U games I was interested in playing, but it still sucks to know that I won't be playing them unless I purchase a Wii U which I'm not going to do at this point.

There is a good emulator in the making, nearly done, looks very promising so far.
http://cemu.info/
( For more information, check out my patreon page).

Anyways, won't be buying this until we get those polymimetic alloy consoles, probably few years from now.

I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is enough for me to get one. I'm sure there will be other RPGs as well as I mentioned.

A new toy for masses…

Okay, can it run these games with all hair details enabled @ 60 FPS and on 1080p?
- TW3
- DX:MD
- TR/RotTR

If yes, I'll instabuy it. If no, then they can sell it to underaged audience that cause censorship in masterworks just because OMG nudity is filthy, pubic hair is a huge no-no, blood and gore is acceptable.

Most recent example I stumbeld upon TODAY is Neverwhere comic which is horror, yet there is a cup at certain point just because kids would have nightmares probably:
http://www.readcomics.tv/images/manga/neil-gaimans-neverwhere/2/17.jpg
Means guys, if you're into comics, skip this one, buy the written book instead which is apparently a masterpiece (comic is based on Neil Gaiman's novel and is basically milk-em scheme). Didn't know this before, a friend gave me the comic to read, I've told him not to bring me any more of similar bullshit - he thought I'll love it because it does have crazy ideas, but as usual details based on idiotic CEOs' thoughts get on my nerves so much I cannot see anything beyond that even if it's quality material.

No hair also reminds me on that recent WatchDogs2 pussy/Sony scandal. Then again, at least we can mod it. Can Nintendo audience mod their games?

Last edited:
Can any hardware play those games @ 1080p60 for $299 while also being a handheld/home console hybrid AND able to play new Nintendo exclusives?

I've never been interested in portables, so I just hope whatever good RPGs they make for it they don't make them exclusive like most of the 3ds ones are.

Can any hardware play those games @ 1080p60 for $299 while also being a handheld/home console hybrid AND able to play new Nintendo exclusives?

Erm… See…

1. I want raw power, price comes later (the reason I bought Stylus Cube is it has horsepower equal or better than MS Surface yet is 3 times cheaper), so the first question is power, when we clear that one we can check the price set for the gadget.

2. It's not PC so I can't expect what I have on my PC, and that's 144 frames per second on 144Hz monitor. Well then. At least they can do 60FPS. Can they?

3. Exclusives? Gimme a break. Any exclusivity is holding hostage or at least stalling the technology/industry progress, I'm not interested in exclusives and if I bought something like this I'd play games proved worth one's cash on other platforms like Skyrim (note that I'd still insist on SkyUI mod in this example!). Or if I bought JDR's never fulfilled desire Wii U, I'd probably do that because of Mass Effect 3 on it. Assuming it's not downgraded to unrecognizable state.

Raw power doesn't automatically equal better games or more fun. I'm not selling my thousand dollar gaming PC to buy one, nor am I going to replace my PC with it. It's possible to have fun with both.

Of course it's possible. It's just I'm not finding keychain amusing any more.

If liking video games that aren't the highest high tech PC stuff makes me a baby, then give me my rattle, get outta my playpen and leave me alone. :p

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a key chain to laugh at. :D

Raw power doesn't automatically equal better games or more fun. I'm not selling my thousand dollar gaming PC to buy one, nor am I going to replace my PC with it. It's possible to have fun with both.

Pretty much this. $300 is what a lot consider reasonable for a tablet these days. For what they're offering, it's pretty good price. Especially when you consider the price of a gaming laptop. Having a PC for gaming, and then something like this for the road or in bed or bring it with you to a gaming night with friends on the weekend. And again there's me getting excited about ARM and x86 lines getting more blurry. I consider this just an early step in the evolution of better computing. With Windows 10 possibly getting full ARM support in the future, we could one day have a LOT more options for building our gaming PCs, not replacing them (build your own portable gaming PC? How cool would that be).

Pretty much this. $300 is what a lot consider reasonable for a tablet these days. For what they're offering, it's pretty good price. Especially when you consider the price of a gaming laptop. Having a PC for gaming, and then something like this for the road or in bed or bring it with you to a gaming night with friends on the weekend. And again there's me getting excited about ARM and x86 lines getting more blurry. I consider this just an early step in the evolution of better computing. With Windows 10 possibly getting full ARM support in the future, we could one day have a LOT more options for building our gaming PCs, not replacing them (build your own portable gaming PC? How cool would that be).

Yep. Plus tablets like the Shield can do fun stuff like streaming 1080p60 games to the tablet from your PC so you can play a portable version. Once it evolves more I'm sure you'll be able to play a bunch of games you'd normally need mouse and keyboard for. There are already things like Exagear RPG and Exagear Strategy that "port" Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Alpha Centauri and more to tablet and they are playable with a touchscreen. If you add some third-party controller mapping software you can play all sorts of RPGs on tablet, even old-school jams like Wizards & Warriors, Risen, etc. Not even mentioning the few (but excellent) mobile RPG ports of things like Jeff Vogel's games, The Quest, Iceblink modules and some fun roguelike/dungeon crawler RPGs. Oh, and emulators? Fuggedaboudit. The more of this the better, IMO. More versatility is a good thing.

As a toy/side thing I like having a console sometimes. If it's a tablet/portable thing, even better.

Looks pretty good, to me.

I'm just hoping that the system isn't too complex/costly to develop for. The NDS seems to have a ton of weird/lesser-known RPGs and those probably wouldn't be possible on a typical console. If they could get a bunch of handheld developers that can make good games without breaking the bank, it would be sweet. Ideally it would hit a great blend of handheld/home console, not only in design, computing power, etc., but in the game library as well.

Yes games are developed for handhelds (especially in Japan) because its less risk and cheap. The latest AAA titles for consoles are so costly that developers forced to i.e create more of remasters instead. This was actually a complaint about ps4-catalog.

Nintendo should sell the Switch without the dock as "gametablet" for 199€. That might make it a real seller. Might eat away 3ds sales though.
http://www.eggplante.com/2017/01/15/nintendo-could-release-switch-for-199-right-now/

Back
Top Bottom