Summoner - Released on GOG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The console RPG Summoner is now available on GOG.com for 20% off.

A power too great for mortals to harness, a quest too great to pass upon.

Summoner, a brilliant console-style RPG that starts small and unfolds into an amazingly complex and exciting experience that just keeps on giving, is available 20% off on GOG.com. That's only $4.79 for the first week.

Summoners have toppled empires and challenged gods. They are venerated as saviours and feared as destroyers. With rings crafted by the ancient Khosani, the gifted can call forth demons, dragons, and elementals, but only the strongest can control the forces they unleash. Born with the mark of the Summoner, Joseph possesses a power greater than emperors and gods. As a child, he summoned a demon to save his village, and watched in horror as those he loved were destroyed. Nine years later, the armies of Orenia invade, and Joseph must confront the prophecy he was born to fulfill.
Thanks for the link SpoonFULL.

More information.

Wonderful, wonderful game.

Everybody, please play.

I don't think I ever heard of this one. Might be good but honestly I probably have 100+ games I should rather play.

No you don't have 100+ games you'd rather play.
Buy now.

Fun, fun and more fun. A couple of annoying things, well, not a biggie. More fun, fun and fun.
That's in short what this game is. Did I say buy now?

To label Summoner as a console RPG is a bit unfair in my opinion. Yes, in 2001 the game was also released for PS2 beside PC. But with it's RTwP combat system, exploration, quest structure it's a PC RPG. And a good one at that. I recommend every RPG player out there to give this forgotten gem a chance.

The screenshots on GOG make this look dire, but I remember it being excellent, and actually rather pretty, back when I finished it about… oh…. erk… doesn't time fly? Still, well worth playing, and I'll definately grab this in a sale in case I ever have trouble with my boxed version.

Also played (but never finished, I think?) Summoner 2 on GameCube, but it never had a PC release from what I remember, which is a great shame.

Even more of a shame that Volition went on to make Saints Row, and never another Summoner (or Freespace). Sigh.

enjoyed it quite a bit back in the day. i hope its sequels get the same treatment.

Awesome, awesome game. I will be downloading it when i get home. Great story,music and presentation. It had multiplayer also but I'm sure that no longer has servers but for under 5 bucks who cares.

None that I know of but its pretty good as it is.

Nameless, no mods. As sakichop said, once you finish it, do not exit the game instantly as there is aftercredits bonus!
Do download the manual, avatar and artwork, but do not download "geeks video" as you can't experience it properly without finishing the game!

Anyone has any views on which to pick: Summoner or Vampire: Redemption?

Both seem to be party based with RTwP combat.

Any views are appreciated - thanks in advance.

Woo hoo! :party:

Here's a thread with mod/tweak info, Summoner.

@SpoonFULL They both were made about the same time, Summoner is more JRPG. Redemption is much more US style Action/RPG based on VtM, but is not intended as hard core Pnp rule game. However Redemption has a LOT of mods one major mod allows Coop of the main story, Age of Redemption 2012. All in all, Redemption is probably rated higher in almost ever category.

The Summoner was good… I would rate that PC port of the PS2 game 4 stars.
However, I'm a little disappointed… I mistook this for that great old 1992 game,
The Summoning… It was a unique RPG that used hand gestures for spell casting. I gave that game 5 stars, and would love to play it again sometime, if GOG ever releases it.

Summoner is better the VTM: Redemption and is definitely not jrpg like and the PS2 version was a port of the PC version which was the original release. I played it back when it was originally released and liked it a lot.

From GOG forum:

This patch fixes many issues in the PC version of the game, also it enables you to set widescreen resolutions like 1920x1080:
http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/ (second from the bottom)

Just extract the files from the zip into your Summoner folder, to set a custom resolution by opening the "dinput" file in notepad and editing the resolution part.

Tested and works with the GOG version. All credits go to Timeslip for the patch.

enjoyed it quite a bit back in the day. i hope its sequels get the same treatment.

How so? The sequel was never released on PC. The only different release was the "improved" Gamecube port.

I played Summoner 2 on my PS2, but could get into it, because of the godawful action combat.

Golden Rule: Every RPG that forces you to block in combat sucks.

Golden Rule: Every RPG that forces you to block in combat sucks.
I agree 100% on this - gameplaywise.
Either make it as a passive (reflex) skill that can be improved, or don't put it inside RPG at all.

Back
Top Bottom