Dragon Age: Inquisition - Editorial @ Unigamesity

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Unigamesity has another article for Dragon Age: Inquisition were they list five things they think players want. That's right not a blog post this time just an opinion piece.

Now do you agree with them? Or do you want to see something different? Remember to keep on topic, and don't troll please.

Dragon Age Inquisition will come out next year and as part of next-gen, it will surely bring many surprises. Opposing the previous two games, solely dedicated to role-playing, Inquisition will introduce a new castle feature, where players will be able to manage their armies. This system can be quite ambiguous since it could be an innovation to improve role-playing, as it could be the ascendance of another genre. Nothing is for certain now but in the end, it’s all in the hands of BioWare. However, BioWare is a game developer, whose mission is to satisfy players. So, what are players looking forward in Dragon Age Inquisition?
More information.

(minor Spoilers ahead)
1. A Richer, Deeper and Immersive World
Sure no-brainer. No complains here.

2. The Effective Return of Old Characters
I didn't liked a lot of characters from the series, to name some of those: Ogdren, Alistair, Anders (not the one from Awakening, though), Sten, Varrik, Fenris, Carver.
At some point some of the other were really annoying:
Morrigan at the end of Origins, Loghain at the time you recruit him, Isabella on DA2, Merril and her mirror, Shale and her odd ideas.
I see no harm in creating new characters instead of weirdly twisting the plot to make them appear.
Furthermore, there are some characters that I really liked, and they aren't "forum/ Internet " popular, like Sigrun, Winne, Justice (before they ruined him forever), Bethany.

3. Decisions That Really Matter
At this point I would say, that the choices in most of BW don't matter at all to the whole plot. Just think on Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, Neverwinter's Night, and of course, DA. Their idea is to make think the players they are making a choice, and at this point they really failed on DA2.

4. More Romance Options and Deeper Relationships
I don't know/not sure about this point. It sure made a lot of women interested in the series because of this, but seriously, the whole romance system was broken, IMO. It was too rigid for dark fantasy morals.
I understand the 'sexist' point of view, the Americans view of morals and (what is correct or what is not), etc, but they need the love plots to be more 'sordid' to be convincing. Think on Game of Thrones, The Witcher, etc.
At this point they give you gay/bisexual relations, but they forbid you about whatever else you dare to think. So if you think on cheating on your actual love interest, the game punish you. Do you ever think why Isabella or Zevran would care about to be cheated, or themselves being caught cheating? It makes no sense at all. What about your companions trying to compete for the same woman/ man and leaving or fighting because of that? What about a jealous sibling confessing his/her forbidden love? Why you cannot romance dwarfs or other races other than human or elves? What about romancing other characters than the companions? Well, BW doesn't have a clue here either.

5. New and Surprising Features
Well, they revealed an 'army/fortress management' so there might be some other changes. From the long gameplay video, I can say that there's nothing in from Origins and DA2 going on here.

1. I think everyone will agree on that one.

2. If it's to be like in DAII, please don't bother with old characters returning. The only one I didn't mind too much was drunk Alistair, because the DAO vignette said he became a drunk in the Free Marches. The others felt a bit too much like fan service to me. Bleh. I don't mind old characters returning if they still have a story to tell, but cameos, just don't bother with it.

3. I personally think their shouldn't be that many "grand choices". Quests with multiple solutions, yes. Big choices that alter the world and should be carried over, no.

4. Hell no to more romance. No more romance. Better friendships though, that I want. If people wants to play romance game, Japanese have dating sims for that.

5. Why? This sound like the people who complains that expansions have exactly the same gameplay as the core game. I don't mind new features, I just don't understand the fixation on it (or the fixation that a game need to revolutionize the genre to be good either).

PS. I fear that people put too much emphasis on some of the announced features without much information. Like the castle and fort features. I think some people are excepting EverQuest2 housing decoration, when I suspect it's going to be more like Awakening or BG2.

Back
Top Bottom