Balrum - A 2D Isometric Fantasy RPG

The world is realtime. So NPCs live their daily lifes, animals live their lives..etc and you actually can see that (if your not in combat)!
The game is only turn based when you enter combat.

As it was said many times before - it looks almost 100% like Eschalon, even the combat. Just the interface looks better graphics wise.
I love the Eschalon Art style. What I did not like about Eschalon2 was the lack of Quests and Story (after the first hour). If Balrum can provide a good story I'd definitely buy it. Hope to see a kickstarter soon :D

Looking good, it definitely resembles Eschalon but then again Eschalon resembles other old school CRPGs, just done with somewhat more modern technology (ie, pre-rendered 3D instead of drawn art for tiles, sprites, etc) so it makes sense. The art is clearly not ripped or anything. Anyway, hopefully the story and combat are better than in the previous Eschalon Books (not judging III just yet). I too wish they had party based combat instead, it's quite bad in Eschalon and this seems similar. But maybe it will be fun like Fallout instead. But even in Fallout I wish I had full control of the NPC companions anyway. Since the game is real time at any point outside combat you'd think they could make it work more like the Spiderweb games instead, preferably like Avadon (maybe with the addition of follower formations a la IE games) rather than like the last Avernum remake though the differences are subtle.

I like the art, much better than how those type of indie RPG's usually looks.

The world is realtime. So NPCs live their daily lifes, animals live their lives..etc and you actually can see that (if your not in combat)!

Sounds great :)

Just like D:OS. (or even somewhat like BG) That's even better news!

This sounds quite promising. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. Can't say for sure I'll be kickstarting though since I have quite a few other things to pay these days.

But in any case, I'll make sure to follow this project :)

I never played Eschalon but watching the the video reminded me a lot of the original Divine Divinity. This looks interesting and worth keeping an eye on.

I never played Eschalon but watching the the video reminded me a lot of the original Divine Divinity.

This^

Looks promising. If I have one complaint it's that the view is a little overly zoomed out. Everything just seems so small.

It really looks like Eschalon, but it's good thing. I love Eschalon Book.
As a linux user, I'm also very glad to hear about linux support.
Thanks for what you are doing, guys.
Do you have RSS on your website?

Now we have! :) Thanks for asking! I totally forgot..
(at the bottom)

Today I recognized that Eschalon Book III is scheduled for summer... and now I came across this potential gem.

Doubleplusgood day, today ;-).

Looks very interesting - will definitely be keeping an eye on development. Best of luck with it!

I'm skeptical of single player, single character RPGs, especially ones with turn based gameplay. On the face of it, combat isn't going to be very interesting with only one role to play and you lose out in other ways over party RPGs, for instance one character can only use so much loot, you can't have cooperating roles (which restricts the stats and progression aspects) etc.

tl;dr Add companions please!

This.

I don't think turn-based combat will be interesting with only one playable character. IMO the main appeal of turn-based battle is being able to devise and carry out a strategy. It's not just a matter of which skill / spell you use by how / when you use it: Should I attack or heal my injured party member? Should I cast this AoE spell even though it will injure one of my party members? Etc. Without multiple party members, none of these considerations don't come into play so turn-based combat with one character would likely be extremely monotonous.

I'd definitely back this if the upcoming revisions include a party, but as it stands now, I'll pass.

I disagree. While I see the benefit of turn based combat in party based games, I don't think it's a problem of having it in games where you play a single guy.
And actually there are a lot of games which show that it works. Almost all rogue like games for example. Eschalon, or the old Fallout games and Arcanum where you only play the main character as far as I remember.
An AI controlled companion is the worst case scenario as they are always annoying.

Back
Top Bottom