Knights of the Old Republic is 15 Years Old

just pointing out your semantic argument on why there's no difference between the two in what they did. :)

Yeah, I guess that didn't quite convince :)

But you're welcome to try again.

That, or we could get back on topic in the hopes of a more productive exchange.

At least it seems you've learned the difference between being inspired and stealing from others and using it yourself ;)
Actually, I didn't. What's your point on the difference between being inspired by something and taking different elements of stories and putting them together?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Actually, I didn't. What's your point on the difference between being inspired by something and taking different elements of stories and putting them together?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

One is theft, the other is not :)

But seriously:

It's a matter of degree. There's no black and white definition that will satisfy all conditions in all cases.

I think the first step is to understand that I'm not saying stealing directly from others and putting a new spin on it is necessarily a bad thing. I'm saying that I have a hard time thinking of such a thing as worth fretting about in terms of canon.

As for Tolkien, I truly believe that he created Middle-Earth based almost entirely on his own work - and he created his own languages from scratch. He actively wanted to create a modern mythology on the level of the Authurian Legend - and I think he succeeded.

He also spent most of his life on this creation - which is a strange thing to do if you're just copying people.

If you take something like Harry Potter - I'd say that's something along the middle of the road from what Lucas did and what Tolkien did.

But I don't think I've ever seen a movie, read a book - or played a game - where I could say it was 100% original in every single way.

So, I would have thought that was obviously not the point.

I guess not.

If you truly don't understand what I'm saying - I guess you'd be fine saying if I copied, say, Witcher 3 word for word and called it Bitcher 3 - it would be the same thing as being inspired by it like Tolkien was inspired by other myths, right?

According to some articles Star Wars was inspired by Valérian and Laureline.

Link - https://www.core77.com/posts/60032/...Star-Wars-Finally-Getting-the-Movie-Treatment

If so I watched the the movie and it was terrible.
Star Wars was not inspired by but stole elements from. Which is not an insult in sci fi world. Awsome idea(s) from ignored material has to, needs to be stolen and brought to wider public so it never gets forgotten.

Unlike original Star Wars, the 1000 city movie is an insult to the source series of graphic novels. That mediocrity hurts even more than Jackson's Lord of Wellington just not of Auckland.

Star Wars was not inspired by but stole elements from. Which is not an insult in sci fi world. Awsome idea(s) from ignored material has to, needs to be stolen and brought to wider public so it never gets forgotten.

Unlike original Star Wars, the 1000 city movie is an insult to the source series of graphic novels. That mediocrity hurts even more than Jackson's Lord of Wellington just not of Auckland.
Never even heard of Valérian and Laureline until you talked about the movie a few years back Joxer. I bought it for ten dollars at local Walmart, and only watched it once.:shakefist:

And yet, like John Carter and Avatar, no one watched Valerien.

It looks like the visuals are taken from this comic but the main story is Hidden Fortress. Kurasawa didn't mind though. He was broke and Lucas was a big fan. One thing in Lucas defense is he couldn't get the rights to the Flash Gordon remake (re: the visuals from the movie serial) like he wanted and suddenly had $25 million in his pocket to make a movie he needed to spend.

On another note, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, and Arthur C. Clarke formed an official club they called Science Fiction Writers Too Big for Star Wars in their mutual opinion that their stories were being Shangheid. Of course, Herbert himself forgot when forming this club, that he discovered the "medieval formula" of the dragon guarding the treasure in the castle for Dune.

Never even heard of Valérian and Laureline until you talked about the movie a few years back Joxer. I bought it for ten dollars at local Walmart, and only watched it once.:shakefist:

Here's hope you didn't buy Kotor for 10 bucks on phones but played it on a thing it's supposed to be played on. More than once. :)

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty dumb comment. :)

Of course he had influences, every writer does. That doesn't make his work less original.

Including Lucas? I am saying they are in the same category when someone is claiming that Tolkien is entirely original when he is not. And its turned into an argument of semantics.

Here's hope you didn't buy Kotor for 10 bucks on phones but played it on a thing it's supposed to be played on. More than once. :)
Nah it's a phone game why would I buy that.:eek:

On another note, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, and Arthur C. Clarke formed an official club they called Science Fiction Writers Too Big for Star Wars in their mutual opinion that their stories were being Shangheid. Of course, Herbert himself forgot when forming this club, that he discovered the "medieval formula" of the dragon guarding the treasure in the castle for Dune.
Some of the best Sc-Fi writers it's to bad the son of Herbert is not as good as the father.

Including Lucas? I am saying they are in the same category when someone is claiming that Tolkien is entirely original when he is not. And its turned into an argument of semantics.

Don't be a liar as well as a fool.

I said he created pretty much everything he did. I never said anything about him being 100% original or that he invented the concept of a dragon.

You're being really stupid right now, I'm sorry to say.

One is theft, the other is not :)

But seriously:

It's a matter of degree. There's no black and white definition that will satisfy all conditions in all cases.

I think the first step is to understand that I'm not saying stealing directly from others and putting a new spin on it is necessarily a bad thing. I'm saying that I have a hard time thinking of such a thing as worth fretting about in terms of canon.

As for Tolkien, I truly believe that he created Middle-Earth based almost entirely on his own work - and he created his own languages from scratch. He actively wanted to create a modern mythology on the level of the Authurian Legend - and I think he succeeded.

He also spent most of his life on this creation - which is a strange thing to do if you're just copying people.

If you take something like Harry Potter - I'd say that's something along the middle of the road from what Lucas did and what Tolkien did.

But I don't think I've ever seen a movie, read a book - or played a game - where I could say it was 100% original in every single way.

So, I would have thought that was obviously not the point.

I guess not.

If you truly don't understand what I'm saying - I guess you'd be fine saying if I copied, say, Witcher 3 word for word and called it Bitcher 3 - it would be the same thing as being inspired by it like Tolkien was inspired by other myths, right?

But I do not see how Star Wars is a copy/paste of any one thing just as I do not see Lord of the Rings being a copy of any one single thing, so the analogy is too much of an exaggeration to make sense in this context.

Yes Tolkien probably put more effort into it, but does effort mean he took any less inspiration from the Nordic and Anglo-Saxon myths than Lucas did from other books and stories?

Don't be a liar as well as a fool.

I said he created pretty much everything he did. I never said anything about him being 100% original or that he invented the concept of a dragon.

You're being really stupid right now, I'm sorry to say.

I thought we had a policy about name calling around here

Some of the best Sc-Fi writers it's to bad the son of Herbert is not as good as the father.

I liked the prequels he wrote with Kevin Anderson and even the sequels they did better than any of the sequels of Dune his father wrote (except the last in the series which was downright awful). His biography of his father was insightful, but terribly written. He admits he became so terrified of his father that he is overly cautious about what he says even now. So what's surprising is I've never found any of Anderson's solo books any where near as good as the collaboration these two did together. I haven't read any of his Star Wars books though, which many say are the best of all of them.

That isn't what you said in that post, but ok.

possibly, but I am getting caught up in the argument. I am only saying that Tolkien isn't as original as being claimed and I am taking a lot of heat for it with a semantic argument.

But I do not see how Star Wars is a copy/paste of any one thing just as I do not see Lord of the Rings being a copy of any one single thing, so the analogy is too much of an exaggeration to make sense in this context.

Yes Tolkien probably put more effort into it, but does effort mean he took any less inspiration from the Nordic and Anglo-Saxon myths than Lucas did from other books and stories?

I think it's extremely obvious who borrowed more and who created more - but why is it important that we agree?

It's not important to me.

Back
Top Bottom