Oblivion Revisiting Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
One could say that all Elder Scrolls games are pretty boring. Many would just call them hiking simulators. I am drawn to that type of slow-paced role-playing though, and I really like it. I'll admit these types of games are not for everyone though.

Depends on perspective. I don't find Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, or Skyrim boring. Like I said, each game has specific things it does well - better than others in the series. Except Oblivion. Obviously this is subjective, but you would be hard pressed to mount much of an opposing argument.

Depends on perspective. I don't find Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, or Skyrim boring. Like I said, each game has specific things it does well - better than others in the series. Except Oblivion. Obviously this is subjective, but you would be hard pressed to mount much of an opposing argument.

So can you explain to me what makes Oblivion boring? Or at least what excludes it from your list of Elder Scrolls games that have specific things they do well?

Well action game wise, skyrim is better.
Art style wise, morrowind is better.
Super cool next gen graphics wise, skyrim is better.
Character generation and customization, daggerfall is king.
Dungeonwise it and morrowind tie for the weakest.
Character interaction in oblivion borders on the ridiculous.
Storywise daggerfall and morrowind tell the best stories.
I just cant think of a single aspect of oblivion that one of the other games didnt do better.
Like I said, this is all subjective. My opinion is pretty irrelevant if you're having a good time :)

I was just curious as to why you thought that.

I can't decide which Elder Scrolls game does something the "best". It depends what day you ask me, what time of day, what I've eaten that day, and any illicit substances I may be on at the time. And even then I will probably give you the answer that comparing Elder Scrolls games to each other is like comparing apples to oranges. :)

It's nice to hear people enjoying the game. For me it was just around 15 hours. Skyrim the same.
Morrowind, on the other hand, rocked my world!

Morrowind rocked my world as well. It was my first open-world RPG of that style and it just blew me away.

Once I get some extra cash to buy an HD PVR I'm going to be playing Morrowind with commentary on Youtube. Should be fun.

Morrowind was the only modern Bethesda game that I was able to enjoy without any mods whatsoever.

The only problem with it now is how dated the visuals are.

I just found out Morrowind is backwards compatible with the Xbox 360. That was pretty shocking news. Can't believe I went so long without knowing that.

Anyway, the game looks pretty damn good on a 42" LCD screen. First time I've ever seen it on a TV that nice. Of course it's dated at this point, but still very much playable. The environments still look really good, and it still has a ton of atmosphere. Getting off the boat in Seyda Neen was still as wonderful as it's always been. I only watched my dad play though. I'm busy with Oblivion at the moment but Morrowind will be next. It plays pretty well on the 360 as well.

How old is your father? Whenever my father sees me gaming, he says something along the lines of: "I don't understand you and them dam-gun vider games".

How about getting off the boat in Seyda Neen and seeing this?

Wowzers. That looks crazy! Especially Balmora. Very nice indeed. Makes me almost want to build a gaming PC and play it on there. But I'll stick with my Xbox version. :) It's good enough for me. And like I said, on a nice TV it still looks surprisingly good.

My dad is 52. He's an avid gamer. Mostly RPGs but he likes all types of games. He's the only person I know that has played more Morrowind than I have. He actually has shown me some tricks that I didn't even know about. Now that I think about it, he's played more Oblivion than me, and probably a little more Skyrim too. He had a 270 hour save in Oblivion and 200+ hours in Skyrim. He also beat Kingdoms of Amalur and thinks it was one of the best RPGs ever. Funny stuff.

Well, the level scaling is starting to bother me. Suddenly the game world is too difficult to do anything. Go in this cave - fight enemies that are too tough. Walk the roads to another town - get ambushed by Land Dreughs and Minotaur Lords. Go in this tomb - Nether Liches and Faded Wraiths, too tough to deal with. It's like I'm fighting a losing battle.

The sad part is my Strength and Endurance are both in the 90s at level 20. I should be feeling like a beast and able to slay whatever comes into my path, but instead I feel like a damn weakling. Ugh. I still am going to trudge through and continue playing but I just had to get that off my chest a bit. I'm still loving the game overall but man, that level scaling can really get annoying at times. Oh well. Rant over. Onwards I go!

Well, the level scaling is starting to bother me. Suddenly the game world is too difficult to do anything. Go in this cave - fight enemies that are too tough. Walk the roads to another town - get ambushed by Land Dreughs and Minotaur Lords. Go in this tomb - Nether Liches and Faded Wraiths, too tough to deal with. It's like I'm fighting a losing battle.

The sad part is my Strength and Endurance are both in the 90s at level 20. I should be feeling like a beast and able to slay whatever comes into my path, but instead I feel like a damn weakling. Ugh. I still am going to trudge through and continue playing but I just had to get that off my chest a bit. I'm still loving the game overall but man, that level scaling can really get annoying at times. Oh well. Rant over. Onwards I go!

You can fix the level scaling problem by installing FCOM and Duke Patrick's Combat Archery and then dialing up the difficulty to around 75% on the slider.

I'm a console gamer :D. So I'm stuck with the game as-is. No worries though. I'm still having a blast, just gotta pick and choose my battles pretty carefully.

Level scaling or not, this is one fantastic game.

I am close to completing the Knights of the Nine expansion for the first time ever, and it has been awesome so far. Just as good as any content from the Elder Scrolls ever. Highly recommend anyone playing this game again to check out the Knights of the Nine DLC. Very cool stuff.

For those that don't know, the Knights of the Nine was an organization of Knights, or Crusaders, who were recovering sacred ancient relics of Pelinal Whitestrake, a famous Crusader who killed the king of the Ayeleids who was enslaving mankind. At least that's my limited understanding of it. But the quest line contains you trying to re-organize the Knights order and find the sacred relics to stop evil in it's tracks once again. It's your standard "kill the evil that threatens the world" but I have to say it's pretty well done. Finding all the artifacts has been great fun and very rewarding. I won't say anymore as to not spoil anything.

But yeah, anyone thinking of a game to pick up and play and are bored with what's out there right now, give Oblivion a shot. It may consume you like it has me :).

Back
Top Bottom