What (hd) remaster/remake would you want most?

D

Deleted member 18181

What (hd) remaster/remake/enhanced would you want most?

I spent a couple of hours sorting my steam library and saw alot of old games (that i even forgot i bought them ofc). Some were pretty amazing back in the day and was wondering how cool would be for them to be remastered or whatever the term is, like commandos 2 remaster which will appear later this year.

Putting aside Gothic 2 (which is my favorite game and would preorder with my eyes closed a remaster edition haha) i think Soul Reaver series would like the most to be remastered. I loved them alot back in the day, especially the first. Sadly modding was almost impossible probably since there are only 5 mods on nexus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Omikron: the Nomad Soul and Silent Storm.

Both are still good games but fairly outdated.

Omikron: the Nomad Soul and Silent Storm.

Both are still good games but fairly outdated.

I never played the David Bowie game but Silent Storm is great, it deserves a remake :)

Also: Wizardry 8 (minus the excessive amount of respawns please :))

I am a very simple person, I don't want a hd remake, I just want a minor quality of life update for these great games:

Might and Magic III, IV, V: add a simple weapon/armor damage/protection info to loot, so that I can forget the manual's complicated tables about modifiers and whatnot

Arcanum: add a simple Win10 compatibility patch, so I can play this game without serious mouse pointer / video issues (maybe this new patch does exactly this? Haven't tried out yet)

Ultima 7/7p2: add a simple conversation log, so that I can review all the info I've collected so far (and burn my paper notes)

… and that's all folks.
I don't care about brand new flashy graphics, because these games were looking good back then, and looking good now in their own humble way.
As for the gameplay: DO NOT TOUCH OR ELSE. These games are old school rpgs, and any "modernisation" simply hurts the experience in a major way.

... and as such, I'd envision these updates as free fan projects, because these could not be sold for profit. Hence, any publisher involvement would be fatal, because the project would shift into the money game.

Last edited:
We had this thread already.
IIRC I said "Anachronox remake please" so I'm saying it again.

Remaster? I don't want any. It's cheap/hack rubbish. Videogames aren't music albums or movies and you can't make a cake out of turd. Okay, you can, but…

Last edited:
Dark Heart of Uukrul.

Gold Box Games.

Might and Magic 2.

Wizards Crown.

Wasteland.

Birthright Gorgon's Alliance.

I would say remakes and not remasters for all of them.

I want to see gold box games remastered so I can finally play those.

Also, would love NOLF1 and 2 redone so I can buy and play it again.

NVIDIA is doing some ray traced versions of old games. Not "HD" - they are the same old textures and polygons - but with ray tracing to make the lighting better. They already did Quake I think.

Sword of the Stars
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Sacrifice
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 <though I'll be a bit shocked if that happens>
The original Deus Ex

P.S. Grandia 2 just got its HD remaster just recently.

NVIDIA is doing some ray traced versions of old games. Not "HD" - they are the same old textures and polygons - but with ray tracing to make the lighting better. They already did Quake I think.

Sword of the Stars
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Sacrifice
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 <though I'll be a bit shocked if that happens>
The original Deus Ex

Interesting. I'll definitely check out V:TM-B and Deus Ex (as soon as I get a GPU with ray tracing), but I can't see it making a big difference in some of those games if the only thing it affects is the lighting.

TBH, these are no more than tech demos.
Some interesting light effects here and there, but RT as a be-all end-all graphic solution is more ugly than fancy at the moment (see: Metro: Exodus, Control - reflections and incidental light effects are very weird)
Retroactivated RT works best if the original game is somewhat monochrome (Quake!!!!), because in such cases the volumetric light and precise shadow effects are dominant.

All in all, an interesting tech, but from an artistic perspective, it is still in infancy.

P.S. Grandia 2 just got its HD remaster just recently.

Yup, played it (being a huge Grandia fan), and IMHO, the remaster is not good. Grandia 1's upscaled textures and sprites look very out of place and Grandia 2's upped resolution really shows how lowpoly the art is.

I think a proper remaster requires much more effort than this -- see: Shadow of the Colossus on PS4.

Unfortunately, these half-assed solutions are very dishonest to the original game's art -- which still looks good if viewed as it was originally intended (CRT)

The Gold Box games by a country mile. Similar to the Bard's Tale remakes would be good but with slightly better graphics. I imagine the combat could be similar to Age of Low Magic except with better graphics and a better UI and AI.

Back
Top Bottom