Pillars of Eternity - Thoughts & Impressions

Wow…

All this because Drithius dared to voice some criticism that's perfectly valid to him?

Where are all these people spreading such an obscene amount of negativity? Because I'm not seeing them.

What's really sad is the degree of fanboyish overreaction I'm seeing. It's actually quite pathetic.

No, it's not just Drithius. You need to read the other threads (or may be not.. ;)).

The game is not perfect. But for years the community has been clamoring for another BG. We supported this, and now we have it, the closest thing to BG.

We should celebrate!!!

Yet, some never seem to be happy.

It's worth noting that the negative will always be negative no matter the circumstances. Take their inputs with a grain of salt, and move on. I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

I value everyone's opinion, even those that are very negative, because usually there's a grain of truth in the most opinionated opinion. But one has to put into perspective the whiners, as well as the blue sky'ers.

No one should be banned for being excessively negative or positive. That's silly.

The stat system, while a good attempt at breaking away from D&D, seems pretty arbitrary at times; hopefully it's polished up in the expansion. Example: Perception doesn't affect finding hidden secrets…

Moreover, I hope the combat is honed with future revisions; it's my one major gripe with an otherwise enjoyable game. Buggy engagement system + horrible pathfinding = tedious frustration.

(+ lack of any real stealth mechanics)

No, it's not just Drithius. You need to read the other threads.

Yup, My post wasn't a personal shot at Drithius or any single member - otherwise I would have addressed it as such. But this:

The game is not perfect. But for years the community has been clamoring for another BG. We supported this, and now we have it, the closest thing to BG. We should celebrate!!!

Yet, some never seem to be happy...

No one should be banned for being excessively negative or positive. That's silly.

is exactly my point. Well said Thrasher, thank you for saying this. I think it's important to not have any "sacred cows" that are above any criticism. It's just irritating when a discussion veers only to elements that aren't absolutely perfect in an otherwise wonderful game.

Some people are just like that I guess, but it would be nice to be able to focus on the good parts of a game once in a while too, instead of only pointing out the flaws. What fun is that?

Last edited:
The stat system, while a good attempt at breaking away from D&D, seems pretty arbitrary at times; hopefully it's polished up in the expansion. Example: Perception doesn't affect finding hidden secrets…

Moreover, I hope the combat is honed with future revisions; it's my one major gripe with an otherwise enjoyable game. Buggy engagement system + horrible pathfinding = tedious frustration.

Yeah, thanks to those who pointed out Mechanics is the relevant skill to up secret/trap detection. Does seem counter-intuitive given the description of perception…

Also had some really bad pathing that killed me because my damage dealers wiggled about instead of dashing to where I wanted them :-S

Where are all these people who are spreading such an obscene amount of negativity? Because I'm not seeing them.

Nor am I :p

I brought up a couple valid concerns that anyone without blinders would have to concede to and all of a sudden there's an army of imaginary doomsayers supposedly posting. It goes beyond fanboyism - it's irrationalism.

Enjoying the game but there's a lot of room for improvement - AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!

I find the attribute system well crafted and full of possibility. It gets away from D&D's version of must-have and dump stats. It gives recommendations for stats, but you can play against type and do well.

If you are playing against your character you just die - a lot.
You all sound like you are playing on light/normal difficulty :)

Most combat can't be avoided through talking bribing or bluffing. Hell - old Wizardry 7 and Fallout 1 were better with this dialog options.

And dump and must haves stats are fun if you want to play a class.
Otherwise build a game without classes at all (like Avernum for example - Josh's favorite one).

I admit, I am playing on normal difficulty, and may be pushing it even then. :)

From the description of the hard difficulty (and the blog or whatever from Josh), Hard seemed more like "Impossible", Normal like "Hard", and Easy like "Normal".

I've had a couple of close calls on normal, so it's not easy by a long shot.

Wow…

All this because Drithius dared to voice some criticism that's perfectly valid to him?

Where are all these people who are spreading such an obscene amount of negativity? Because I'm not seeing them.

What's really sad is the degree of fanboyish overreaction I'm seeing here. It's actually quite pathetic.

How dare someone not love every aspect of this game! Maybe we should ban him.

Um, no. Perhaps try this crazy thing called 'reading'.

If you had done that you would have realized that *everyone* here is pretty clear that this game is not perfect, to varying degrees.

My personal eye-roll was to those calling it 'unplayable' and 'broken' due not to bugs but rather not implementing things the way that THEY wanted.

GIVE.ME.A.BREAK.

Personally, I find the critics and criticism far more useful than the gushing fan boy stuff. That stuff tells me nothing, but the criticisms tell me what I might not like and weaknesses with the game. So as far as I'm concerned, keep 'em coming. As one who is on the fence whether I might be interested in the game.

By the same token, I always read all the most negative reviews for any game I might be interested in, like on steam, for example. And when a new game comes out that I'm interested in, I check the bug forum as a matter of routine. For this game, there are a few game breaking bugs already reported, for instance. Anyway, just wanted to offer a different perspective on this, re: critics.

If you are playing against your character you just die - a lot.
You all sound like you are playing on light/normal difficulty :)

Most combat can't be avoided through talking bribing or bluffing. Hell - old Wizardry 7 and Fallout 1 were better with this dialog options.

And dump and must haves stats are fun if you want to play a class.
Otherwise build a game without classes at all (like Avernum for example - Josh's favorite one).

I'm playing on Path of the Damned. As I wrote above, I'm doing one playthrough with all rangers. I'm giving them different attributes and skills and it works quite well.

It sounds more like you are hampering yourself by insisting on viewing this system as negative because it isn't narrowing your choices for you. In PoE, you can be a perceptive barbarian and wade into a group to disrupt their actions. You can be a dextrous druid and rapid cast spells. A towering aumaua can make a great rogue, and a dwarf can be a great wizard. You can play against type in D&D, but everyone knows it's not as effective as playing a straight trope.

Um, no. Perhaps try this crazy thing called 'reading'.

If you had done that you would have realized that *everyone* here is pretty clear that this game is not perfect, to varying degrees.

My personal eye-roll was to those calling it 'unplayable' and 'broken' due not to bugs but rather not implementing things the way that THEY wanted.

GIVE.ME.A.BREAK.

I can read just fine, but thanks for acting like a little prick.

The positive/negative reactions to PoE here at the Watch are about a 90/10 ratio which I think is great. I just don't get why some of the majority would get so bent out of shape about a very tiny minority voicing about things that concern them. I haven't seen anyone here calling it broken or unplayable. Maybe you could point out a specific example.

Sorry that my post evidently created some butthurt with you.

Crikey - I thought I was in trouble for trashing LoD. When you criticize PoE the shit really hits the fan! :biggrin:

Hmmm ... OK, I will have to apologize - because I quoted one and referenced the other, and can't find them. Perhaps after getting called out they deleted their posts.

In that case I apologize for accusing you fo not reading something that no longer exists :)

From the description of the hard difficulty (and the blog or whatever from Josh), Hard seemed more like "Impossible", Normal like "Hard", and Easy like "Normal".

I've had a couple of close calls on normal, so it's not easy by a long shot.

Normal mode has been plenty challenging thus far, at least for me. I've had my arse handed to me in several fights now, so I'll come back for those later.

So I have just beaten Raedric on the hard difficulty setting with a lvl 4 / 6 man party by sacrificing my rangers wolf for the initial dialog and waiting with my party at the nearby door and killing one by one...

Hush. I just arrived there and don't want any spoiler. I found a nifty way in but no clue if it is the same way everyone else found !

So I have just beaten Raedric on the hard difficulty setting with a lvl 4 / 6 man party by sacrificing my rangers wolf for the initial dialog and waiting with my party at the nearby door and killing one by one…

Hmmm … OK, I will have to apologize - because I quoted one and referenced the other, and can't find them. Perhaps after getting called out they deleted their posts.

In that case I apologize for accusing you fo not reading something that no longer exists :)

And I apologize as well for being so abrasive in my replies. I thought Nerevarine went overboard with his "fuck off" to anyone who had a complaint rant, and it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Perhaps it was overboard, JDR. The thing is, none of my "real life" friends are PC gamers, if they even play games at all, thus the reason why I visit this site. It would just be nice to share genuine enthusiasm in a conversation about a new RPG once in a while, rather than go over every detail with a fine-tooth comb looking for flaws.

So I'm sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. While I certainly don't want to suppress criticisms, which would be absurd and rather silly, I just feel that the community would benefit from being more positive, and that feeling has been building for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom