Diablo 4 - Full Diablo Presentation @Blizzcon

A summary for those who don't want to watch the video: Diablo 4 will have a rogue, Diablo 2 will be remastered and Diablo has a story.

From what I saw I like visual design they chose and Im kinda looking forward to it. If they dont mess the remake of D2 I will most probably play it as well. I liked it more then D3. But Im not really big fan of Diablo series.

A summary for those who don't want to watch the video: Diablo 4 will have a rogue, Diablo 2 will be remastered and Diablo has a story.

Diablo 2 had a pretty cool story actually. I might be remembering things with rose-tinted glasses, but it's pretty decent and very nicely told. Especially the cinematics, since they're told from the perspective of a secondary character Marius.

Diablo 3, in comparison, just shit all over everything Diablo 2 had done before. I heard one of the devs, that was in charge of the story, say that it's nothing more than a lighthearted fantasy not to be taken too seriously. Well, the way they handled it in D3, no wonder it turned out like shit. Absolute shit. And I'll never forgive them for how they killed Deckard Cain. Those people obviously had no idea what they inherited from Diablo 2 and how to treat it with respect.

I'm convinced part of the reason D3's story and world turned out like shit was because of the way they handled the art style. They gave up on the gothic horror vibe, and just went for generic fantasy, like Warcraft, where you can pull shit like that. I hope Diablo 4, with its return to more horror themes, can ignore most of the shit D3 pulled, and just try and start over. And take it more seriously for gods sake. Diablo could be a very decent gothic horror story if handled with respect.

To be a bit more on-topic, here's the full b-roll footage they released for Diablo 4. I'm excited for the rogue. It jumped to the top of my character list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0A6xrmXFa4

Diablo 2 remake looks amazing. I'm not hyped from a trailer that much since I've first seen the trailer of Might & Magic X. What can I say, shut up and take my money!!!

Diablo 3, in comparison, just shit all over everything Diablo 2 had done before.

I think D3's biggest flaw over previous games was its difficulty. It's a joke compare to D2. I remember playing the game without armor to add some difficulty to the game. D2's difficulty significantly rises with the second Act., so it was a tough game to beat. On the contrary playing D3 was like walking in the park. They added some custom difficulty settings to the D3 later, but I had already finished the game at that point and I didn't want to get back to it.

I think D3's biggest flaw over previous games was its difficulty.

I never played 1 or 2, but I played 3 and I was shocked at how easy it was. This isn't a brag. It practicall played itself. I could just sit there and let mobs attack me for a minute at a time and I was fine. I had played and liked Grim Dawn so I figured I'd give a Diablo a shot. It was incredibly boring because it was so easy.

I think D3's biggest flaw over previous games was its difficulty. It's a joke compare to D2. I remember playing the game without armor to add some difficulty to the game. D2's difficulty significantly rises with the second Act., so it was a tough game to beat. On the contrary playing D3 was like walking in the park. They added some custom difficulty settings to the D3 later, but I had already finished the game at that point and I didn't want to get back to it.

Yeah, that's a significant flaw too. And the fact that they ultimately allow you to control the "difficulty" level to which all enemies are scaled. That's very lazy game design. And leads to the feeling that all enemies are the same. Simple damage sponges, and you control how much you want to grind at them.

You shouldn't be in control of that. The designers should design encounters and enemies, and make each one memorable. By just allowing you to scale the damage they can take, they effectively take away the identity of the enemies.

I'm afraid D3 was a series of bad design choices, and then they had to somehow compensate for those. That's how the paragon system was born, guaranteening endless grinding. But I can't complain for everything. At least they had the guts to try something different, but unfortunately it failed.

Another thing which imo damaged the game was too much freedom in respeccing. Another hit to the identity of the characters. Your characters no longer have to deal with situations they may not be prepared for. The idea was interesting, to allow you to constantly adjust skills as you gain new items, but it was way too easy to do. I really wonder how they'll tackle this in D4.

Diablo 2 resurrected looks amazing *.*

One thing they do not make clear in the video: does anyone know when is the release date for D4 and D2 Resurrected?

D4 is likely a few years away. Nothing in sight. I would imagine around 2024, the earliest?
D2 Resurrected is currently slated for 2021, I imagine the end of this year. But it could slip into 2022, I would imagine.

I think D3's biggest flaw over previous games was its difficulty. It's a joke compare to D2.

Do I remember wrong or wasn't the first playthrough of D2 quite easy too? Didn't the difficulty get quite brutal only on the second playthrough? I remember that one could continue leveling on the second. Remember the game bugging and my character losing all the gear on the second playthrough. There was no way to continue the game because it was too difficult without high-level gear.

Now I thought I was a pessimist (=realist) when it comes to release dates :p What makes you say 2024?

That estimate would include the inevitable delay of 1 year at least. :D
So I imagine they'll be mostly done buy 2023. They're definetly not coming out in 2021. I'd imagine it's the same for 2022. So that leaves 2023, plus the delay.

Also, I imagine they're gonna use the release of D2R to temper those that are really waiting for D4.

I believe D3 was first announced in 2008? And it released in 2012. So, yeah. Let's see.

The pathetic difficulty isn't just a D3 thing, it's a trait of the genre. A lot of Diablo clones are really easy until you unlock the higher difficulties.

I think I'm alone in liking the first game best. When my best friend and I were both working late evening shifts, we used to set our alarms for 7am and get up early to play. Everyone at work was playing and talking about the game, and we'd play the game in teams, even though we never hung out together otherwise. I had to get call answering for the phone line because a prospective employer for my gf called while I was tying up the line for hours on end.

Back
Top Bottom