Diablo 4 - Full Diablo Presentation @Blizzcon

I liked D1 the best too. The atmosphere was phenomenal for back then, and the soundtrack was great as well.

I could never get into D2. I didn't like how it was so obviously geared towards farming for drops, and I hated how all the enemies respawned when you loaded a save.

Yes, the first one was fantastic back then. The second one where the popularity of MMOs began. I played it through but had the same problems with it as JDR. It was designed as an MMO and was not that appealing for me. A great game, though, in general.

Actually, I am looking forward to D4. Have warmed up for playing with friends lately. It's a nice way to spend time together.

The pathetic difficulty isn't just a D3 thing, it's a trait of the genre. A lot of Diablo clones are really easy until you unlock the higher difficulties.

Actually you could be right about that. I also found Grim Dawn and Borderlands 3 quite easy too. IMHO in a game which centers on combat, it must be challenging for being fun. Why do I have to beat the game once, in order to enjoy the game? It's really a ridiculous design choice.

For those that asked, we pretty much have confirmation that D2 Resurrected will be playable without internet/battle.net connection.

MrLlama, the biggest Diablo 2 streamer who also was there during the Diablo 2 Deep Dive Panel during Blizzconline, has had a private Q&A with the devs, and this is the response he got on the online requirement question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfPRTJZHQw0&t=9m34s

MrLlamaSC said:
You do not need internet connection to play an offline mode. This is huge for me, I'm very about that. You do not need to connect into Battle.net to play singleplayer. So that's really nice.

So, very likely that D2 Resurrected will indeed be playable offline, besides the initial legal copy check they said they would do.

I'd be even far more keen on a remake of the first Diablo, as others have mentioned in this thread. That would truly be amazing, yet again it would need to be completely free of any online shenanigans.

Someone mentioned MMX… must… resist… compulsion… to… Hulk out
Wait…for…it…not…yet…are…you ready now? Might & Magic X.:p

Sorry had to do it as I remember how you feel about that game.:biggrin:

I'd be even far more keen on a remake of the first Diablo, as others have mentioned in this thread. That would truly be amazing, yet again it would need to be completely free of any online shenanigans.
Some of the Q&A's claim you can play the Diablo 2 remake offline. As for Diablo 4 no chance in hell. It'll use the same method as Diablo 3. 24hr connection to battle.net.

On consoles though it might be a different story.

and Diablo has a story.

Oh. That was unexpected.

D2 was my very first online experience. Playing together with a bunch of people from across the Larian board … That was great, as everyone was helping each other out !

I liked D1 the best too. The atmosphere was phenomenal for back then, and the soundtrack was great as well.

I could never get into D2. I didn't like how it was so obviously geared towards farming for drops, and I hated how all the enemies respawned when you loaded a save.

This reflects my opinion perfectly. I finished D1 multiple times in successive runs, until on NG++++* my inventory was completely filled with gold and I was unable to pick up anything else.

But D2 I dropped after 30 mins or so. I simply can't deal with so much grind and respawn.

Those presenters are super rehearsed. I'd bet they focus tested the presentation too.

They didn't want a repeat of the Diablo Immortal announcement where they practically got booed out of their own convention.

I never played 1 or 2, but I played 3 and I was shocked at how easy it was. This isn't a brag. It practicall played itself. I could just sit there and let mobs attack me for a minute at a time and I was fine. I had played and liked Grim Dawn so I figured I'd give a Diablo a shot. It was incredibly boring because it was so easy.

Diablo 3 when first released was absolutely impossible. You would have to grind for hours looking for loot, or drop hundreds of dollars on the real-money auction house, and you would have to team up with elite players who had made similar investments if you wanted to have any chance at all of beating the later bosses. Players complained and Blizzard completely changed the game over the years.

I haven't played in a couple of years at least, but last time I checked the game was focused on seasons, where you restart your characters at level 1, and you have a couple of months to play through the main game and the expansion to earn that season's latest ridiculously overpowered gear that you use to blast Hell's mightiest legions into tiny chunks.

Diablo 3's difficulty is not about beating the game these days, not even in Hell mode, it's all about the Greater Rift ladder, where players "compete" to beat randomly generated "dungeons" with increasingly inflated hp and damage values within a time limit.

The seasons add a certain theme or spice to the gameplay to allow players to "reset" the game for a pseudo fresh start experience and begin the race once again.

If you enjoy the game as a casual player, there is no real reason to even participate on seasons, just can just load the game up, choose the class you like, and enjoy the story. The monsters won't present any challenge that anyone could find threatening at any point.

I think I'm alone in liking the first game best.

I liked D1 the best too. […]

Yes, the first one was fantastic back then. The second one where the popularity of MMOs began. I played it through but had the same problems with it as JDR..

This reflects my opinion perfectly. I finished D1 multiple times in successive runs, until on NG++++* my inventory was completely filled with gold and I was unable to pick up anything else.

But D2 I dropped after 30 mins or so. I simply can't deal with so much grind and respawn.
Finally!

I also thought that I was the only one. Me and the boys played the hell out of D1 in LANs back in the days. We were sooo hyped for D2. (CP77 hype doesn't even come close.)
When it was finally there I was utterly disappointed. However my friends liked it better that D1. I never understood them.

But now I can finally rest. I'm not the (only) weird one.

Try the Hellfire expansion, or have you tried the Hellfire expansion?.

Its more on the addictive side of min-maxing your gear and loot management, exploration and leveling up to unlock the brilliant active and passive skills. For me it was great fun, and it is a very big game, and made larger by the expansion.

I love both D1 and D2 for different reasons (but not the unbalanced Hellfire expansion).

Because it is very hard and it is very hard to collect large amounts of money. And even if you do you will spend most of it on buy potions to survive the unfairly hard enemies. So it provides a very hard challenge and a different experience.

Alright, good to know. Maybe I ought to pick it up from GOG and check it out.

Because it is very hard and it is very hard to collect large amounts of money. And even if you do you will spend most of it on buy potions to survive the unfairly hard enemies. So it provides a very hard challenge and a different experience.

I never played Hellfire, but I just installed the GOG version of Diablo+Hellfire.

Question: Is the Monk class from Hellfire not playable in Diablo? For some reason, I thought having the expansion installed would also make that class available in the base game.

I liked both D1 and D2 for different reasons, although I would have preferred a remake of D1 as well.

When I started playing Diablo 2 back in the day, the first thoughts that entered my mind were: 1. it looks blurry and 2. the items don't look as pretty and unique any more. I did like having more options in character selection, development, a bigger world, more streamlined gameplay and so on, but of course such things come at a cost. It's a curse of sequels to popular games that they are often expanded and streamlined so much in order to cater for a larger audience, that they become diluted or, out of necessity, shift their focus to something else.

Diablo 1 had more gravitas because it had a much narrower, simpler focus. Quality over quantity.

Back
Top Bottom