HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Rock Paper Shotgun checked out Wildermyth, which will be released on June 15:

Procedural storytelling RPG Wildermyth emerges from early access

Every adventure creates a new crew

What happens when three farmers go on an adventure together? I've got no clue, because in Wildermyth it's a bit different each time. The tactical combat RPG tells procedural stories, allowing your characters to develop their own histories and relationships in each playthrough. Wildermyth is nearing the end of its own adventure, with a full launch planned for next week to cap off its time in early access. The developers have post launch plans, as so many do these days, but folks seem to have already been having a grand time with it throughout early access.

Wildermyth is sitting my personal shame pile, I'll admit. I thought it sounded neat as heck around its early access launch but time always seems to get away. Fortunately, Sin played it a lot. Like, a lot a lot. As someone who also tends to bang on about games I think are rad, I'll just let her tell you about why its characters are so neat.

[...]
Thanks Pladio!

More information.

Man, people rave about this on Steam like it is the greatest game ever but I'm not convinced... the whole procedurally-generated side of it as tied to the narrative sounds unconvincing to me and I'm not fond of the look of it. Still, I am keeping my eye on it and will curious what reviews will look like after it leaves EA - or if any Watchers try it and share their thoughts.

I enjoyed this a lot during the early stages of early access. I'd say I got a good 20 hours of fun out of it. I'm looking forward to playing the full release.

For those interested in tactical turn-based combat I'd keep an eye on it. The side quests can often do interesting things to your characters that makes them relatively unique.

Nod SSIGuy, it's the whole procedural thing that has me raising my deflector shields on the whole concept. Count me as another that will be checking out reviews from those braver than I on this one.

It's been on my Wishlist and I think I will try this out after a patch or two. People have raved about it in EA.

Yeah, the user-reviews are extremely positive. Personally, I don't dig the art style or the fact that it's procedurally generated, but I'm glad it's doing well and that people are obviously enjoying. It's the first game from that developer.

I'm wary about "narrative" and "procedurally generated" being in the same sentence too, but I've been intrigued by this game for around a year, ever since I watched a very enthusiastic video about it. I'll most likely give it a try.

This is kinda in my "personal shame file" too. I have it, played it, it's actually fun and really cute-sy... to the point where maybe this is just too childish and innocent and cutesy and just not really my style as a 40-something dude. I'm sure it's fantastic for the audiences that appreciate good gameplay and that art style, etc etc.

Procedurally generated is perhaps misleading. In any given scenario there may be 30 (I'm making this number up) events that might happen. Only 10 (once again I'm making the number up) may actually happen and it happens to a random character. If you play enough you'll see them all.

I peeked at it and watched a couple youtubes but it's not my thing. Cutesy is right; and the whole aging thing doesn't work for me. I don't want to play generations of characters, I can't get into that. Solo character/Single Player is my bag :) I can do party games but it is the outlier. Solasta will be this year's party-based game that I play.

That game was on my wish list and I bought it when it was on sale very cheap.

The concept is cool but honestly, I got quickly bored. I was not a fan of the dialog and the cartoon style, too.

I have this and have played it throughout early access a few times.

It is procedurally generated, but it has a really neat charm to it.

I like that your characters evolve over time and get new powers based on choices you make, such as wings.

It is a basic turn based combat systems held together the overworld map that you need to explore and do missions. I think the unique look and just the concept set it a bit apart from what else is out there.

BTW couch, not on gamepass.

Back
Top Bottom