Game Informer - 10 RPG Franchises We Want

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Game Informer waxes enthusiastic about ten RPG franchises they feel deserve to be resurrected.

These days it seems like anything is possible in the gaming world, thanks to the growth of crowdfunding and social media. Series that were once relegated to memory are suddenly coming back. Did you ever think we’d have a chance at Shenmue 3? How about Square Enix reviving the Nier and SaGa franchises? This got us thinking about our favorite RPGs of yesteryear. While plenty of great series have vanished, we think many have potential to thrive again. Without further ado, here are the 10 RPG franchises we’d love to see return.
More information.

More information.

The link returns an error, but based on the pic… Is that Vegeta? lol
On counts 1-10 I say no.

I want proper Full Metal Alchemist game. Not the idiocy Square Enix made for people with special needs, but a proper game. PC game.

Joxer, did you try the link in my intro text, above the graphic? That one worked for me...

Another Chrono Trigger or Knights of the Old Republic (not the MMO) would be instant buys for me - and for many I suspect. Ultima as well.

It's only half JRPG really (Vampire, Ultima, KoTOR, Jade Empire are all western).

Another Chrono Trigger or Knights of the Old Republic (not the MMO) would be instant buys for me - and for many I suspect. Ultima as well.

It's only half JRPG really (Vampire, Ultima, KoTOR, Jade Empire are all western).

I'm aware I'm not interested in more of those either. Luke warm on ultima I guess but that'd be it.

Joxer, did you try the link in my intro text, above the graphic? That one worked for me…

Appears I'm blocked from reading it. Dunno why, but this is what it says:
Well, @#$%^&*!
Sorry for the inconvenience, but there’s an error with your location. Our diligent code monkeys have received this error, and if they are unable to fix it, they will be…dealt with.
There is no error. I don't use VPN and never did if someone wants to know.

Anyway, if I click return to homepage there it leads me to a message "file not found". ROTFL

. Suikoden (I know it was mentioned in the article, I'm just agreeing here)
. Rogue Galaxy

. Suikoden (I know it was mentioned in the article, I'm just agreeing here)
I agree it's a shame Konami has killed the Suikoden series.:cries:

(Now my answer to Game Informer's list of games.)

Chrono Trigger/Cross - Just more Re-makes and no sequel in sight.
Dark Cloud - Not going to happen just play the first two again.
Earthbound (Mother) - Undertale is as good as we will get.
Jade Empire - I wish BioWare would make a sequel but they wont.
Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic - F2P MMO is all we will ever get.
Ultima - Garriott is working on Shroud of the Avatar.
Vagrant Story - Loved the game but the IP is dead.
Valkyrie Profile - Enjoyed both games and a new inspired game is in development.
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines - Paradox is funding a Possible sequel.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the other ones, but single player KOTOR III will happen, sooner or later. Perhaps by Obs, Bioware probably won't be handling it, in parallel with Mass Effect.
Eh, seen a footage of that "Shenmue" once. Words can't express what I saw.

If you'd asked me ten years ago whether I thought it was possible that we'd see a return to some of my favorite franchises, my likely response would have been "ahh, I don't think so, tis merely a pleasant day dream!" However, with the advent of Kickstarter, some of these have started to become a reality.

1. Bard's Tale (We're getting a fourth installment thanks to InXile...)
2. Ultima Underworld (Huzzah for Otherside Entertainment and Paul Neurath)
3. Arx Fatalis (Bethesda have Arkane focusing on Dishonoured 2, but if Underworld Ascendant is successful, who knows?)
4. Gothic (Unlikely with Elex on the horizon, but you can never say never right?)
5. Might and Magic (X was a solid effort; but if more resources from Ubi were put into the franchise, I'm sure XI could be even better...yeah, yeah, I know, dream on?)

To be honest I'm lukewarm on Jade Empire (didn't especially like it...) but another Knights of the Old Republic would be welcome providing a team was assembled with strong RPG credentials.

The rights to Jade Empire, KotOR, and Ultima are all owned by EA, so revivals of them aren't as appealing as they might otherwise be.

Bloodlines would be nice.

Don't care about the rest in the least. Pessimeister's list is a lot better, and many of those have already happened.

The rights to Jade Empire, KotOR, and Ultima are all owned by EA, so revivals of them aren't as appealing as they might otherwise be.

Bloodlines would be nice.

Don't care about the rest in the least. Pessimeister's list is a lot better, and many of those have already happened.

Yup, what you write mirrors my feelings precisely, about both lists. Gothic & Arx Fatalis are probably the two revivals that I would be most enthusiastic about right now, after all it´s not just about bringing back the series themselves but who would do the work and what you could expect from them.

Frankly I can only imagine how god-awful an Ultima revival would be. It sort of already happened, as people may recall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Forever:_Quest_for_the_Avatar

And "god-awful" would qualify as an understatement for that one. So much so that Mythic Entertainment (the artists formerly known as "BioWare Mythic") found themselves taken out back and put down, soon after that was released.

I would like to see Vampire and Ultima again, but I fear that I would be disappointed.

pibbur who

Ofc we would… t'is the faker age of remakes…. Mb give us a new IP ??? Waiting for elex....

Back
Top Bottom