00:00 Intro
00:32 Ranged Weapons
02:46 Ranged Attacks
04:36 AoOs
07:37 Armor
09:47 Weapons

And the link he provides on AoO:

Attacks of Opportunity : the facts and how to avoid them

EDIT: Regarding AoO, he made one mistake (but maybe TB mode is bugged), a 5-foot step doesn't consume the normal action. You cannot make another move in the same round but you can make your normal action before or after the 5-ft step.

The Acrobatics (Mobility) switch is a very good tip.

Last edited:
I tend to not get too deeply into combat mechanics myself, probably why I often have to play on easier modes.

I am very surprised I am playing OK on adjusted CORE settings (mainly I allow deaths door, remove bad effects upon rest, auto level of companions (I don't like micro-managing my followers too much and I like to play them as they were intended to be played by their creators) and standard vs. enhance number of enemies. I make weather more difficult than core (heavy setting) and ... thats about it. So far doing well. That may change as time goes on but for now enjoying it.

I also find a lot of these guides and mistakes and so on are more about min/max characters and every aspect of the game and I try to find a balance between being a capable character while also keeping true to their personality and lore. Sometimes that also means going against the grain or "optimized" way to play a character or approach combat. Still I find my own ways to squeeze what I can out of my characters while having fun.

Still useful information for those who may not be familiar with the game mechanics and want some tips.

Two good tips IMO:

BACKGROUNDS:

When picking backgrounds be aware that if you already have what they offer it will instead translate to a +1. Example if it adds daggers as a proficiency and your class already has that included then instead you get +1 to attack with daggers. If the BG adds the skill mobility and you already had that skill, then you get +1 to mobility skill instead.

BOOKS:

Never noticed this in BETA so maybe new. If you read books many of them give you unique little feats. Like one book might give +1 to fighting dragons and another +1 to a certain weapon, and so on.

Last night I spent an hour reading all the books I had collected. Then later I saw all these book icons in my special abilities sheet and saw they had added things. Or maybe you only have to have found them to get the perks and don't have to read them. Either way its cool.

Or maybe you only have to have found them to get the perks and don't have to read them. Either way its cool.

You have to read them. You need to right click on 'Info' to trigger the bonus. If a book yields a bonus then you will always get a little message in the dialogue box along the lines of 'You have learned something new from this book'.

You have to read them. You need to right click on 'Info' to trigger the bonus. If a book yields a bonus then you will always get a little message in the dialogue box along the lines of 'You have learned something new from this book'.

Good to know. I read them all in one setting so wasn't paying close attention. I was reading them for the lore and fun of it. The extra stuff was ... well extra :)

Jut a quick one. I'm kinda close to chapter 4 finale.
Apart from engine related camera problems I have to say the whole area seems bug free or are so insignificant I didn't notice any.

A hint is - if you were brave and didn't stop playing the game waiting for patch that addresses training grounds (just don't build it, you don't really need it in chapter 3) and Blackwater bug-o-rama, feel free to dive into chapter 4.

This game is destroying my social life. Can't stop playing it.

Nope the Queen is off my romance list. :mad:

I wont spoil it but shes incompetent and petty.
Apart from engine related camera problems I have to say the whole area seems bug free or are so insignificant I didn't notice any.

A hint is - if you were brave and didn't stop playing the game waiting for patch that addresses training grounds (just don't build it, you don't really need it in chapter 3) and Blackwater bug-o-rama, feel free to dive into chapter 4.

The training yard has been patched.

I also can't stop playing and was going to put the game on hold.

I didn't know you had a social life ;-) I know I don't :p

I am finding that any other games have been set aside and now focused pretty much entirely on this game. It's that good.

I do actually.
Jut to describe today's "drill", went in a bar for a drink with my buddies earlier, took one and then excused myself with whatnot nonsense. Usually I'd stay drinking, mingling and whatever till midnight, sometimes would continue elsewhere if I'm in the mood.
Instead, I got home fast, turned the game on immediately as if it will escape if I don't.
This is not normal. I lost a friend to the stupid WoW a decade ago, same modus operandi.
Luckily this is not mmo, so it's not a permanent addiction. :)

Okay I need a hint.
Found the second part of The Lexicon of Paradox. Tried to read it now combined.
Yea, I didn't give the first part to the Queen, seemed she is not interested in reading but destroying "demonic" stuff and this book didn't look as something that should be destroyed.

But those skillchecks in this book are insane!
I cannot have 4 (both knowledge and both lore) 30+. I can pass only two knowledge checks, but two lore cannot.
Is there a way to efficiently respec for this book or devs are trolling the player?
Also is reading it fully even worth it, passing only two checks grants some small amount of XP (cca 1300)?

You are really racing ahead, joxer!

I'm still in chap3 and it will be a while until I finish it because its a huge chapter and I still have a lot of demon armies to defeat.

How gorgeous was area in chapter4? I loved it :D

A tip for you in chap5, joxer:

Leave Iz / rescuing Galfrey to the end - that practially ends the chapter but the game didn't make it very clear imo (at least when I beta tested it)

Thanks for that tip. ;)
I'm always making a separate save when I am entering a quest area - wouldn't want to skip sidequests because the chapter is over.

Anyway, a certain demoness also wanted me to give her the book I mentioned above.
This is odd. Why would both queens on practically opposite sides want something that seems completely unrelated to the game story?
I refused her.
Now I'm more intrigued what is written inside it.
Dunno what's level cap, but with whole two chapters more to play I might go improving MCs lore skills just to read the whole of it...

Anyway, a certain demoness also wanted me to give her the book I mentioned above.
This is odd. Why would both queens on practically opposite sides want something that seems completely unrelated to the game story?
I refused her.
Now I'm more intrigued what is written inside it.
Dunno what's level cap, but with whole two chapters more to play I might go improving MCs lore skills just to read the whole of it…

You will find out why she wants it very early on in chap5, keep playing ;)

Level cap is 20 and likely you will hit it before moving onto chap6 because (big spoiler ahead):

Legend path loses mythic power but instead you get level 40 cap

I'll leave a hint and say don't give anyone any part of the Lexicon.:p

If you kept all the parts of Lexicon, you may ascend to a god in the Ending.
Level cap is 20 and likely you will hit it before moving onto chap6 because (big spoiler ahead):

Legend path loses mythic power but instead you get level 40 cap
That sucks but I guess it's for balance reasons.

What about becoming a gold dragon is the level cap still stuck at 20?

I'll leave a hint and say don't give anyone any part of the Lexicon.:p

If you kept all the parts of Lexicon, you may ascend to a god in the Ending.
That sucks but I guess it's for balance reasons.

What about becoming a gold dragon is the level cap still stuck at 20?

All paths have level 20 cap except the one I mentioned above ;)

All paths have level 20 cap except the one I mentioned above ;)
Well that means I can level up three more times and that's it. As the mystic legend path doesn't interest me. Though I know one way to bypass that with a mod called toy-box.

I've played WotR 5+ hours a day since it came out and I'm just short of 7th level. It's amazing the time you guys are putting into this thing.

I'm kinda rushing through since I played prologue to chap4 multiple times already during beta :p I only played 495 hours of beta, you know ;)

I'm kinda rushing through since I played prologue to chap4 multiple times already during beta :p I only played 495 hours of beta, you know ;)
But now you have to listen to the voice acting. And you have to read those all library books as if it was Morrowind all over again. Takes time, even for someone who knows where to go. :p

29 hours on the "release version" so far. :)

"Run the tactical combats automatically", one of the options on the top right corner of crusade mode, doesn't give as good results as doing them manually, as expected. But it offers the option to either accept the result or re-do the combat manually.

Could be a time saver if one doesn't care too much about a few losses and with a big army.

Fighting gargoyles is boring, it took a ridiculous number of rounds to get them. Hellknights are probably necessary to achieve those combats quicker.

Back
Top Bottom