Fallout 3 - GfW Live and Save Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Bethblog has a post that explains if you decide to log into Games for Windows Live after you've started playing Fallout 3, your save games will end up somewhere else:
PC users now get achievements and friends lists similar to how Xbox Live works. Here some cool things you can do with Games for Windows Live.
1. Earn achievements. You can create a free Games for Windows Live profile or link your Games for Windows Live profile to your existing Xbox Live profile. That’s right — you can earn Fallout 3 achievements twice, for both PC and Xbox 360. To link your Xbox Live profile, create a Games for Windows Live profile using your Live ID (ie, the email and login you used to link your Xbox Live profile to Live ID — that is, how you log onto xbox.com)
2. Once you link your Xbox Live profile, you’ll be able to see both your Games for Windows Live and Xbox Live friends together via the Games for Windows Live dash.
3. Question: Hey I was playing the game for a while, then logged onto my profile and my saves are gone? What happened?
Answer: Your saves are kept in specific directories tied to your profile. But don’t worry - you can go into your My Games folder and copy those saves over to your Profile’s save game directory.
For example, on my computer running Windows XP, under the Saves directory, I have two folders - Player1 and acheng. I can simply copy all the saves from Player1 to acheng, and I’m able to access them while logged on with my gamertag. On Windows XP, look in your My Documents\My Games\Fallout 3\Save folder. On Windows Vista, the path is C:\Users\{Username}\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\Saves.
For more troubleshooting tips, visit the Games for Windows Live technical support pages.
More information.

Can someone explain briefly to an old man what the purpose is of playing a single-player game on XBox Live?

Achievements. They make the game semi-multi-player, as it were. Each achievement is worth some number of points, so you and your friends can check each other's achievements to see who has the most or just see who has what. It's a nice perk.

The interface could use some help. At least for me, using the mouse on that login screen is really rough. I just keep my figures on the keyboard and tab through for that thing.

Why are there no Achievements in normal PC games ?

Half Life 2 Episode 2 has achievements.

I would assume that people who mod Fallout 3 will not be able to take advantage of achievements? It only makes sense to keep things fair, but it's a little silly you can't have offline-only achievements if you want them.

You can mod fallout 3?
Perhaps not. After I found out they weren't going to release a modding kit I decided not to buy it. But I got the impression that it would still be possible to mod from the language they used, just not with an official modding kit.

Perhaps that was just wishful thinking.

Perhaps not. After I found out they weren't going to release a modding kit I decided not to buy it. But I got the impression that it would still be possible to mod from the language they used, just not with an official modding kit.

Perhaps that was just wishful thinking.

They said they mean to release a CS, but it has not been officially announced and no date has been announced. Still I am fairly sure the CS will eventually be released. And in fact modders are already working on it even without the CS - using self made tools, etc. etc.. There will be mods for FO3.

They said they mean to release a CS, but it has not been officially announced and no date has been announced. Still I am fairly sure the CS will eventually be released. And in fact modders are already working on it even without the CS - using self made tools, etc. etc.. There will be mods for FO3.
Ah good, that is as I had hoped. Thanks for the info GhanBuriGhan.

Back
Top Bottom