Hero-U - Kickstarter launches, $70k so far

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Kickstarter for Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, from the designers of Quest for Glory, has launched and rapidly put $70k on the board from a goal of $400k. A snip from the feature list:
Hero-U is a turn-based RPG with adventure game puzzles and immersive story, by the award-winning designers of Quest for Glory.
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is a classic 2D RPG by award-winning game designers Corey and Lori Cole (Quest for Glory, Castle of Dr. Brain, and more). In our genre-bending style, Hero-U combines classic RPG skills and combat with the rich character relationships of Persona, and the story and puzzles of Quest for Glory in a single challenging game experience.

• A classic role-playing game with exploration, combat, and skills
  • Tactical combat that is much more than "hack and slash"
  • A rich story that changes based on the way you play
  • Characters with unique personalities and their own agendas
  • Adventure-style puzzles that are an integral part of the story
More information.

Hmm... Is it me or there are too many kickstarter projects out there appearing in the same time? Can't possibly back them all, sorry. This one does look interesting, but... Dunno.

Hmm… Is it me or there are too many kickstarter projects out there appearing in the same time? Can't possibly back them all, sorry. This one does look interesting, but… Dunno.

Agreed.

They waited until Project Eternity was over, so not sure what else they could do regarding the glut of kickstarters (there's been a glut since Double Fine got the ball rolling, after all) - sure they could wait more, but you never know when another old developer's going to suddenly kickstart Ultima X or System Shock 3 (or whatever) and take all the funding for the next month. I didn't hear much warning before Chris Robert's game was out asking for money, for example.

I backed it - I'm willing to plonk the money of a pre-order down to see what the Quest for Glory designers can give us.

A decent presentation. I find the text much better than the video pitch. They seem to listen and act on feedback quickly.

I've backed it, sounds interesting. Gosh, I've been spending on Kickstarter way more than I'm usually spending on completed games. Can they sell me more time to play all these games when they come out? :)

I didn't hear much warning before Chris Robert's game was out asking for money, for example.

The official website had been open for about a month before the "full throttle" into crowdfunding. It had over 20k signed accounts already...

Basically you have to be part of a tiny community to know that X or Y are going to do a Kickstarter. I knew about Hero-U for a while because a fan keep talking about it in the Project Eternity Kickstarter comment section.

im not sold
also.. who in his right mind would expect me to pay the same amount of money as i paid on Eternity?

budget is x5 smaller than Eternity, I'd think the game would be 7$ tops

im not sold
also.. who in his right mind would expect me to pay the same amount of money as i paid on Eternity?

That is some really insane logic. Yet another example of PE changing kickstarter.

Wait a minute… I've just noticed they didn't mention MP anywhere!
Okay, I'll "think" about it for a few days, if they don't go into that direction I'll definetly pledge on this one. Better that than buying another EA AAA SP that must have MP dud.

Damn, I told myself I wouldn't back more kickstarters. This is number 7. There's a sucker born every minute, and apparently I'm one of them :p

Backed!

Though it's lucky Myrthos read the press release they sent over - I thought it was something for the Wii U.

[Side note: Project Eternity hasn't changed anything; it simply continued and refined the process started by Double Fine and inXile]

im not sold

Feel free to comment on this post then please, if it didn't change anything.

im not sold

So, by this curious bit of logic we should expect mainstream AAA games to cost us around $400-$500? They cost around 60-100 million (or more) to make, after all.

Last edited:
I was disappointed after reading that this isn't really a "Quest for Glory" style game. There are enough tile based rpgs with puzzles but very few games like "Quest for Glory".

I like it but yes, I didn't like it that you were a 'rogue' (which could learn different skills like magic and what not). One of the things (if not THE thing) I liked about the Hero's Quest/Quest For Glory games was that there were several classes to play, and not only did each class have a different gamestyle on combat (which is what 99.99% of the games do), but also the whole approach to the game and how puzzles were solved, including class-specific locations, depended on what class you were playing. I was hoping for their new game to follow the same approach. Still interesting enough to pledge though.

I'm not sure myself, it kind of feels like it's overpriced, $15 would be more appropriate.

Broken Sword, Project Fedora and Double Fine adventure were all adventure games I have backed and all were $15, Quest for Infamy (based on Quest for Glory of course!) was a mere $10. What makes this Adventure/RPG so much better than all of those, that it is $5 more expensive?

Daniel.

Last edited:
Instant Pledge! Coles made some of my favorite games ever and i'd be an asshole not to support them. In fact, any "old school gamer" NOT supporting their coming out of retirement, doesn't deserve to be called so. Period.

I'm not sure myself, it kind of feels like it's overpriced, $15 would be more appropriate.

Broken Sword, Project Fedora and Double Fine adventure were all adventure games I have backed and all were $15, Quest for Infamy (based on Quest for Glory of course!) was a mere $10. What makes this Adventure/RPG so much better than all of those, that it is $5 more expensive?

Daniel.

By the same line of reasoning that equates price differences to perceived value differences, one could ask what makes Skyrim ($60) or Dark Souls ($40) "so much better" than all of those by a factor of 2 to 4 times. The point is that this line of reasoning is incomplete because price is also related to cost. The fact is that point and click adventures cost less to produce than complex RPGs, and game development enjoys economies of scale.

Last edited:
By the same line of reasoning that equates price differences to perceived value differences, one could ask what makes Skyrim ($60) or Dark Souls ($40) "so much better" than all of those by a factor of 2 to 4 times. The point is that this line of reasoning is absurd because price is also related to cost.

The games I quoted are all relatively similar and on Kickstarter, the games you quote are not.

I am comparing like for like, near as I can.

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom