Skyrim - Eleven Epic Mods

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamesradar made a list with descriptions of 11 epic mods for Skyrim:

Completed Skyrim? Here’s 11 epic story mods you should get hyped for

I know what you're thinking. Why bother playing Skyrim: Special Edition when you've already sunk what my mother assures me is an unhealthy amount of hours into the original game (needless to say, I disagree)? I'll tell you why: mods. Let me tell you the tale of the quality fan-made stories that are equal to Bethesda's colossus itself. Wondrous sagas await with enigmatic characters swaggering by your side, mind-boggling dwemer gadgets, and mysterious locations begging to be explored. As an added bonus they promise hours of gameplay as these mods have a ton of content. Some are even DLCs in their own right. All of the quests below are stand alone ones, meaning you don’t have to bother with joining a faction to trigger them. At last there's an excuse to neglect going outside for as long as humanly possible, just like when Skyrim first came out. Ah, good memories.

1. Inigo
  2. Clockwork
  3. The Forgotten City
  4. Aethernautics: A Space Travel Mod
  5. Blackreach Railroad
  6. Falskaar
  7. Moon and Star
  8. Moonpath to Elsweyr
  9. Enderal: The Shards of Order
  10. Castle Gonduin
  11. Faction: Pit Fighter
More information.

Have about 100hrs in Skyrim, but never beat it and havn't played in years. I want to play again, start over and mod the crap out of it, but I'm too lazy to bother with the modding process. If only there was a complete package of the best mods compiled that I could DL and just drop in my install and it works fine.

Have about 100hrs in Skyrim, but never beat it and havn't played in years. I want to play again, start over and mod the crap out of it, but I'm too lazy to bother with the modding process. If only there was a complete package of the best mods compiled that I could DL and just drop in my install and it works fine.

STEP does have some packaged mods that are considered some of the best and most stable mods and they step you right through everything. Fairly ideal for someone who doesn't want to make the effort.

But the real issue here isn't that - its that "best mods" is extremely subjective. Some high rated mods I wouldn't use if you paid me. Mods are just like clothes, food, movies, books, paintings ... all dependent on individual taste and just like few kitchens or wardrobes will look the same from person to person it is also doubtful you will find people with an identical mod list.

But I have found that half the fun of modding ... is modding. To me spending a week building my own customized world is a game in itself and very fun. Of course building a world and then having it glitch is not fun which is where some of the work comes in as far as testing and doing ones homework ... but still the majority of modders seem to do okay with minimal effort as far as learning a lot of the tools.

I am not playing SSE though as it doesn't offer anything to me. Some better performance and opportunity to have a very large mod list but I personally think it looks pretty bad and not really much in the way of ENB yet. The few ENB/ReShade presets don't really mask some of the horrible coloring. Plus there are many mods for it but not enough to entice me - especially when characters and colors look awful. IMO of course. Many folks love it and love the stability and performance. But having played Skyrim for 5 years I really don't have any interest in playing the game again unless it can offer me lots of unique mods and incredible graphics - which only ENB can provide at this point and SSE simply doesn't have the options of classic Skyrim in that regard.

The main reason why SSE is a bad joke is lack of SkyUI. Bethesda should pay its author and implement it as a default option for PC SSE version. They didn't. They just didn't want to bother with a free console conversion. It's ok, I'm just not going to bother with them. I'd rather donate the creator of SkyUI, because this guy is a true hero of Skyrim.

Yeah waiting for skse64 before I play skyrim se. I read at pc gamer I think, that they were hoping to have it out by march. That would mean by late fall early winter I should be good to go with mod compatibility.

Yep, I'm waiting for skse64 as well. A new LP with Requiem and a bunch of other mods will be sweet. In the meantime, Enderal is amazing and hands down the best "mod" you could play right now. I call it a mod but it's really a total overhaul, i.e. a completely different game in most regards.

Ive been waiting on requiem for se as well...never played it before. I guess it will be a long wait but its ok since i already have so many unplayed games i bought from the last steam sale...

Wanna know what Skyrim mod I wouldn't play, even if you paid me? Any mod with a spacecraft! It's way too out of context.

No Fluent, sorry but even so I wouldn't play it. :)

Be that spacecraft Steam-powered or Origin- or UbiClient- or GoGGalaxy. :p
In my opinion, lasers and spacecrafts just don't fit the game, they just don't fit the context.

I played a Fallout 3 DLC (sorry, I forgot its name) where we ended up inside an UFO and fought some martians (like the ones from 1950's movies). But this DLC fits the FO 3 context.

Now, don't get me wrong, I praise the modder's imagination. With the modding tools, anyone can do anything. If someone likes a spacecraft in Skyrim, be my guest! But this is not my cup of tea.

I can accept dwemer making clockworks, flintlock guns, things like that, but spacecrafts… please!

Last edited:
The main reason why SSE is a bad joke is lack of SkyUI. Bethesda should pay its author and implement it as a default option for PC SSE version. They didn't..

The default Skyrim is unplayable for me and others I know that have been lone time TES fans. The usability, what you have to do to actually play the game, is just through the floor. It's unbearable, not only for its time but even compared to older games.

Waited literally years, while keeping an eye open for mods I liked, before eventually trying it again and it was finally something I could enjoy. It's gotten to the point that Bethesda's TES/Fallout games without mods just aren't worth it.

Still haven't played Fallout 4 and from what I've seen I have almost no interest in bothering until mods have fixed the nonsense I don't want to put up with.

All the more reason why it's sickening and infuriating even thinking about Bethesda trying to get any cut of money from mods. It would be far more appropriate if they instead paid modders by having some sort of contests with cash prizes (ie Make Something Unreal). Instead of giving back to those making their games better and more profitable they want to monetise it all just for a cut under the disingenuous guise of helping modders.

Even the Nexus has done more for Fallout/TES games and mods than Bethesda likely ever will and you don't see it trying to stick their fingers in the pie.

No Fluent, sorry but I wouldn't. :)

Be that spacecraft Steam-powered or Origin- or UbiClient- or GoGGalaxy. :p
In my opinion, lasers and spacecrafts just don't fit the game, they just don't fit the context.

I played a Fallout 3 DLC (sorry, I forgot its name) where we ended up inside an UFO and fight some martians (like the ones from 1950's movies). But this DLC fits the FO 3 context.

Now, don't get wrong, I praise the modder's imagination. With the modding tools, anyone can do anything. If one likes a spacecraft in Skyrim, be my guest! But this is not my cup of tea. Hell, I don't even like tea :S, so let's say this is not my cup of beer, for example.

I can accept dwemer making clockworks, flintlock guns, things like that, but spacecrafts… please!

Nah, I definitely agree. When playing an RPG like TES I like to keep the traditional fantasy feel as well. Keep the sci-fi stuff for the futuristic RPGs. :)

I've played 3 of the 11 mods that were listed. I briefly tried Moon and Star and Elsweyr, but they didn't grab me. I enjoy Vilja but you definitely have to tolerate a weird voice. The girl who does her sounds like she had dental work done a half hour before she recorded :) She is great when combined with Inigo as they have dozens of lines together.

Vilja's voice over was done by the Emma herself. And yes, it's a pain :)

Yeah, the first time I installed Vilja, I got rid of it in 5 minutes. I kept reading good things about the mod though, so I retried it and just kept her till I got used to the voice. Now, I don't know if I could play it with any other voice actor :)

Sofia is great for teenage males or other guys who can't get laid, but she grates on my 50+ nerves.

Inigo is great but he doesn't sound like a normal cat, since he was an orphan and not raised in Elsweyr. He has overpowered weapons though, so you need to take those away from him till he hits level 20.

Hoth is cool if you can get over his looks.

Have you tried Rigmor of Bruma? It's a really great story mod, more or less on pair with Vilja if not better (IMO). The is a bit of the downside but only once the story is over.

Requiem: The roleplaying overhaul.

Made Skyrim into the RPG of the decade for me. Before that I considered it a bland experience.

Requiem: The roleplaying overhaul.

Made Skyrim into the RPG of the decade for me. Before that I considered it a bland experience.

Eh, I tried Requiem, but in a way, it made the game worse. Problem is, Skyrim's base combat mechanics are so poor and outdated that playing with "hardcore" overhaul mods feels like trying to drive a formula I race with a Ford Pinto. :p
At least with vanilla, you steamroll through encounters quickly enough.

Inigo is solid mod, but there are better mods than the ones listed here ( of the ones I've played).

None of these mods were in existence in the fall of 2011, when I finished Skyrim. It was amazing!

I'm running about 50 mods on EE and haven't had a single CTD. That's a nice change. Some of this is because poorly scripted mods haven't been converted yet. It took some messing around to get SkyUI up and running on this version and that's the only MANDATORY mod for me. The rest are icing. I've had Vilja, Inigo, and Sofia in my games, mostly to test, and they seem fine. Vilja is having a few issues with an ingredient list, but that will be fixed I'm sure. I'm testing FNIS and Maids 2 currently and haven't had any issues yet, but it's early.

FNIS is a mod that allows new animations.
Maids 2 is a mod that has new animations. I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be decently long. I was expecting a sex mod; what with the name, but it isn't. It's a bit of a mystery/family feud mod from what I can tell so far. No idea if it's any good yet.

Back
Top Bottom