Project Eternity - $2.2M, New Dungeon, New Stretch Goal

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Project Eternity has passed $2.2M, unlocking a Linux version, French, German and Spanish translations, a new region, new faction and new companion. Whew!
The next goal is $2.3M, which provides different hardcore modes.
After that, the newly announced $2.4M goal unlocks crafting and enchanting. From Update #13:
Crafting and enchanting in Project Eternity will allow players to use objects and materials they find during exploration to both create consumable items like potions and scrolls as well as give their gear custom upgrades that can't be accomplished by other means. This system is intended to be easy to use and very flexible, allowing players to customize many aspects of what they can create or alter. Whether it's brewing basic potions from herbs and minerals commonly found throughout the world or upgrading a humble broadsword into a custom-named, magically-imbued weapon of distinctive and legendary power, we want to give players the ability to make it. On the development side of things, we also want to make the system as data-driven as possible, allowing us to easily extend our list of recipes in the future.
There are also new "addon" pledges, such as $25 to add an Early Access Beta Key.
Lastly, the 50k backers level has also been passed, providing a bonus "mega dungeon" to all backers:
We are very excited to announce a reward to all backers that have helped us come this far. Today we are introducing The Endless Paths of Od Nua - a new dungeon experience for Project Eternity:
In the western reaches of the Dyrwood lies the Endless Paths, an ancient network of cobbled trails that wind through arches of dense overgrowth, twisting within the confines of a high castle wall as they make their way to the gates of iron-shuttered towers that jut forth from the interior. In ages past, the towers rising from the gardens to pierce the canopy of the forest once marked the dominion of the castle's relentless, crazed builder: Od Nua. But the courses of Od Nua's madness run far below the surface, stretching forever deeper into wandering catacombs and bone-cramped oubliettes unseen by living eyes for centuries. The Endless Paths, as the old Glanfathans call them, cannot be walked by the living, but the storytellers say with certainty that many strong souls have found a permanent home beneath the grieving creator's estate.
More information.

I just hope that the "mega dungeon" is either optional or doesn't contain endless respawns for grinder lovers.

Since this is supposedly Baldur's Gate inspired, I assume they're referring to a dungeon similar to Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep, which is bound to make a lot of people happy around here.

Yes! Sounds very good.
I hope they make the crafting/enchanting milestone too. I'd love to hear more about it.

I just hope that the "mega dungeon" is either optional or doesn't contain endless respawns for grinder lovers.

I doubt that Obsidian, with their emphasis on narrative, would turn it into a boring and endless grind fest…. well, I certainly hope not.
Personally, I am not too thrilled about the mega dungeon since I am not particularly fond of dungeon crawling for the sake of dungeon crawling, especially if all areas are filled with critters leading to endless repetitive combat. But I am hopeful that Obsidian will provide an interesting background story giving you reasons to explore the dungeon other than just for XP and loot.

Since this is supposedly Baldur's Gate inspired, I assume they're referring to a dungeon similar to Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep, which is bound to make a lot of people happy around here.

I hated watcher's Keep so I guess I am one of those few people :).

I really have to wonder what would happen with the project if they somehow, for some reason, suddenly manage to raise like $50m. 500+ gameplay with 25 races? 2500 unique endings? Nude patch? I wonder.

My guess would be multiple games/campaigns.

I really have to wonder what would happen with the project if they somehow, for some reason, suddenly manage to raise like $50m. 500+ gameplay with 25 races? 2500 unique endings? Nude patch? I wonder.
Grand Theft Modern Eternity Warfare! Highjacking horses and killing foes with Bows in First-Person-View, enhanced by a mini game if your attempt fails. ;)

dungeon crawling for the sake of dungeon crawling,
That´s pretty much what I hope this "mega dungeon" will be all about :).
especially if all areas are filled with critters leading to endless repetitive combat
This, however, I hope won´t be the case.
Deadly traps, difficult combat encounters and devious puzzles, all framed by an interesting backstory, is what I´d like. Basically, a location that is set up in a way that the designers can throw the usual care for verisimilitude out of the window and go nuts :).

I really have to wonder what would happen with the project if they somehow, for some reason, suddenly manage to raise like $50m. 500+ gameplay with 25 races? 2500 unique endings? Nude patch?
As a preemptive measure, I´d like to say that no, "QA department" is not a funny answer.

Many people are having mixed reactions about crafting. Some claiming it should have been in the game in the first place, others not really caring for it since so many games have crafting systems.

I don't really recall crafting being Baldur's Gate or Planescape.

It's a kick starter game people. They dangle the carrot to make more money. Each goal is just a way to get more money. Every project has done this. If you want better game play mechanics start donating $10,000.

I'm excited and my interest is piqued. I picked the $65 tier just for the boxed copy.

I think they will go more into expansions and sequels with that much money. At some point it make no sense to add more content.

Many people are having mixed reactions about crafting. Some claiming it should have been in the game in the first place, others not really caring for it since so many games have crafting systems.

Crafting doesn't do much for me. I like a little bit (like the flail of ages in BG2), but having it as a major part of the game doesn't interest me that much UNLESS that's the only way to gain powerful items. The problem with crafting in NWN2, imo, was that while there were a ton of things you could with crafting, there were so many powerful items, why bother?

In BG2, there were two NPCs which, for a fee, crafted items from (usually 2) components you brought them. There weren´t many items to be obtained this way, but they felt (and were) unique.
I definitely wouldn´t mind this kind of system in PE.
Since apparently they´ve decided to go a different route, I hope they´ll keep it simple (no 10 of x results in y, 10 of y results in z, and 3 z´s upgrade sword to +1, etc).

Wait so will this megadungeon be restricted to backers?

I think crafting is a potenitally disaterous idea as it is hard to impliment in a way
that is both meaningful and fun without rendering the stuff you can loot useless.
Im hoping they just go for an upgrade system where you still need to loot the base item and not have players creating godlike items ala nwn2 and skyrim.
The worst approach would be to turn all loot into crafting components.
Finding unique items with a little back story in their description is one of those little touches many people allways seem to bring up when talking about the "good ol days" and the things they miss.
Something like bg2's caespenar would be very welcome tho.

Wait so will this megadungeon be restricted to backers?

No, it's like a new stretch goals but based on the number of backers.

They are simply adding a level for each 2500 new backers after 50 000 and the dungeon start with 3 levels. Although, their plan is to stop at 15 levels (which translate into 80k backers).

I also suspect they are going to put some backers related stuff in there too.

I realize they are only trying to get more money for the project, but the stretch goal deal is getting ridiculous. It almost seems as though the game will not be comeplete if a certain goal isn't met. Crafting and enchanting should have been included about the 1.1 mil mark, ect...

The problem with crafting in NWN2, imo, was that while there were a ton of things you could with crafting, there were so many powerful items, why bother?

My experience was entirely different. For outfitting an entire party, the crafting was great fun. I crafted some items that fit party members best, and could not be found elsewhere. For me, crafting was the one of the best parts of NWN 2.

So this announcement makes me want to pony up more dollars. :)

Back
Top Bottom