Obsidian Entertainment - New MMO Game?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
It seems Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a Character Artist for a new Time Travel MMORPG. I hope this isn't the game that was shown last year on Kotaku.

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for talented, self motivated Character Artist to join us in creating content for a highly stylized MMORPG.

Using their expert knowledge of form, proportion, color and design principles the Character Artist will be responsible for creating aesthetically pleasing characters, class outfits, and weapons, for an in-game experience that includes a range of time periods.

More information.

I just wish they use kickstart for it so I can come on their forum and yell: nay!
What's next, a phonegame microtransactions scam?

Sorry, but I feel betrayed.

I really doubt Obsidian is working on 3 MMOs at the same time. That's a bit too insane, even if they are all contract work.

From what I know of Skyforge , it would work for the "include a range of time period".

Oh for the love of..

I'm going to assume it's the tank thing and that Obsidian still has the capacity to produce single player games in the future. If they really did fire up yet another MMO as PoE was nearing the end, they'd probably be fully booked for years to come.

They've quickly fizzled out haven't they. Though they basically have no choice to engage in projects like these they might not be too fond of, because else it would mean firing 100 employees.

It's like back to the future all over again…

Actually a time war-style game might not be bad as a single player CRPG. It could be run as a series of missions, with the path of the war changing depending on the choices made and the outcomes. Could be expensive to produce though as it would need all sorts of assets.

Wasn't the base idea of PoE to not just make the game but to reuse the engine as much as possible just like the Infinity engine back in the day? Unless PoE (pre)orders are way below expectations, I wouldn't worry too much about single player RPGs. With PoE they got the engine nailed down so they can almost mass produce them like the Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales and Torment.
It would be surprising if they didn't take full advantage of their new-old engine.

The projects made with this engine can never provide job to more than a small minority of their employees though.

And the majority of their team and the money they earn from KS campaigns will be used in those MMO projects.That's why their PoE game is so cheap.
Not a good plan. It wont work well and in their next KS compain this will be obvious.

No I'm pretty sure the money earned from Kickstarter campaigns won't be used for MMO projects. They've said they wanted to establish some form of self-sustained business.

PoE is so cheap largely because the assets are much cheaper to make and an engine like Unity streamlines the whole process.

But the thing is they can't raise enough money through a Kickstarter campaign and sales of a cheap digital game to pay fr more than a small team of employees, and even that is stretched thin and might not even be enough, considering the monthly burn rate for a mid-sized game is pretty huge.

I do understand their decision though, even if it kind of means selling your soul, as the alternative would mean firing most of their friends.

We need PoE to sell very well. Share info about it on any social media sites you use. When it comes out, bug any of your gamer friends that haven't already backed it to buy it. After you play it post a review on GoG / Steam / anywhere you can think of. We know Obsidian already plans to do a PoE expansion as it was a stretch goal and they're apparently doing another Kickstarter for an RPG this Fall- let's hope it's for another single-player, isometric CRPG and not some MMO garbage :) It would be great if Pillars of Eterntiy actually sold well enough for them to fund a sequel w/o even needing to do a Kickstarter for it (or they could do a KS with a low initial goal). If we're lucky it will get to the point where Obsidian is working on PoE franchise and another single-player CRPG at the same time.

I expect PoE to sell more than Divinity: Original Sin. There is a huge nostalgia factor with PoE and it does hit the mark. They just need to polish the combat, balance it and add a big label THIS IS NOT D&D (so people don't go in and expect certain things to work a certain way when they do not).

Back
Top Bottom