The "Where Did You Get Your Avatar From ?" Thread

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
To celebrate finally putting an avatar for myself after about 5 years on the Watch, I dedicate this thread.

I got my avatar from the GOG.com purchase of Might and Magic VII. It was included as a bonus. And as I have already put in about 15 hours of gaming I think since Friday evening, here's the celebration :)

As you can see it's a dwarf. IIRC, it's from the boxed version, it's three little people killing a dragon. Ah, boxed games... The good old times ... Youngsters of today... All they know are digital downloads or at best those DVD cases. I'm only in my twenties mind you, but I liked it when I was younger and I bought a game and for the hour it took to install the game, I could open up the manual and start reading it and then continuing to peak whenever I needed something more. Also, MM7 had a map with it, which at first didn't make any sense.

I bought the game when I was in the US when I was younger and it came out, so not even in my teens when it came out. I started playing and didn't get the way the game worked, so used whatever editors I could find online to make my characters stronger and plumped through most of the game that way until I got bored.

A few years later I played it again, but correctly and got to Celeste way too early and got myself blasted away... I laid the game down and now am trying again for the third time. No cheats, a few peaks at online websites for tips, no real spoilers, well not as big as before...

I'm planning on going the dark route as I have never done that before. :)

So, where did you get your avatar from and what does it mean ?

I took mine from an official web page (I think it was the British one) having a small applet on it with which one could create an "avatar" picture of the protagonist of the movie called "how to train a dragon".

My current avatar is from "The Scream" by the Norwegian painter Edvard Munch.

Before this one, I've used The Nameless One from PS:T, and Moominpappa from the Moomin stories by finnish author Tove Jansson: Wikipedia: Moomin. Moominpappa is the one wearing a top hat.

I think that I've also used the GNOME logo on wow guild web forums.

Last edited:
Mine is the Gonzalez flag, also know as the Come and Take It Flag, from the first battle of the Texas Revolution.

Battle of Gonzalez

As Moore returned to camp, the Texians raised a homemade white banner with an image of the cannon painted in black in the center, over the words "Come and Take It".[1] The makeshift flag evoked the American Revolutionary-era slogan "Don't Tread on Me".[26] Texians then fired their cannon at the Mexican camp. Realizing that he was outnumbered and outgunned, Castañeda led his troops back to San Antonio de Béxar. The troops were gone before the Texians finished reloading. In his report to Ugartechea, Castañeda wrote "since the orders from your Lordship were for me to withdraw without compromising the honor of Mexican arms, I did so".[1]

It really wasn't much of a battle, but it was the first shot fired in the fight.

I just grabbed mine from the web; something to fit the nickname.

Two things… Is it Texans or Texians ?

And nice story :)

The original Anglo settlers called themselves Texians. Sometime between independence (1836) and the civil war (1861), they started called themselves Texans. On a side note, Hispanics that lived in what became Texas called themselves Tejanos. Today, we seem to lump all Hispanics together, but I know from a good friend of mine who is Hispanic and whose family has been in Texas since before the revolution, that people like him don't like being lumped in together with the more recent arrivals!

Nothing more than my hand.

Googled a Picture for "Fenris", a nordic/germanic mythological Wolf; I guess if I repeat the search now, I get Pics of Biowares new metrosexual Badass ;)

I only just added an avatar a couple weeks back. It's David Bowie in "The Man who fell to Earth." It mimics how much of an alien I feel sometimes in today's disconnnected, technocentric world.

I only just added an avatar a couple weeks back. It's David Bowie in "The Man who fell to Earth." It mimics how much of an alien I feel sometimes in today's disconnnected, technocentric world.
Good movie, slightly better book.

I've had so many avatars I can hardly count them, but I usually revert to this one. It's a pic (or rather, two) of one of my dollies, Rudolf.

Mine comes from Jaz who found/edited/created it several years ago!! :)

I considered finding a picture of an incredibly annoying bastard, but I don't really think I need one :)

Back
Top Bottom