Arkane Studios - Hit by EA Cancelations

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GamesIndustry.biz has news that recent project cuts at EA have impacted Arkane. We don't know what they were doing with EA - it's been a long time since we heard anything about their FPS The Crossing and we know even less about their RPG/FPS with Harvey Smith. Here's a snip:
Lyon-based Arkane Studios, one of the independent developers hit by EA's recent announcement of staff and project cuts, has told GamesIndustry.biz that the company is ready to move on from the set-back, and that the overarching economic situation could actually benefit indies in the long term.
"We're moving on," said CEO and creative director Raphael Colantonio. "We do have some reserves, some cash that allows us to wait for a while, to find deals and reassign staff. But the right deals - that's really important, to keep the vision of what our objective is as a company, and what our identity is.
"The context right now - the climate, everybody is looking at making sure they'll be profitable, or at least get through the crisis, and we're just one of them. We want to make sure things go fine with us.
But Colantonio, while admitting that the situation was disappointing, was upbeat on the company's future.
"The positive side is that we have the capacity to work on other projects now. To some degree, although it sounds like a bit of a paradox, all these publishers cutting things right now - I think it will eventually benefit the independent developers.
More information.

That's too bad. But, this company lost me when they gave up on the ARX franchise.

I'm not sure they completely gave up on ARX but they lost me too with the studio split ( one studio at Austin, one studio at Lyon ). This new "climate" with big publishers may be their chance to pick up with the Arx franchise again...

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/31/rumour-spielberg-team-laid-off-at-eala/ said:
update: Ea’s just confirmed that the game’s still in production.
⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ ⁢ 

Hardly matters now, but there were some compelling hints as to what it was.

IIRC the reason for no more Arx was that the publisher (JoWood?) wasn't interested, not lack of interest from Arkane.

I haven't bought any arkane games either since Arx. Action just doesn't appeal very much to me.

Back
Top Bottom