RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2010 Voting

1, DKS
2, Awakening
3, Fallout New Vegas

Worst:Arcania

2011: Voted for Witcher 2, but there is one more: Grim Dawn (aRPG)

Last edited:
Damn. DraSa: TRoT is really not on the list.

Okay, now it's there.

Best Games:
1) Fallout New Vegas, for being Fallout more than Fallout 3.
2) Ultima VI Project: The False Prophet, because it's Ultima and it feels like Ultima.
3) Alpha Protocol, would have been higher if less bugs and Eyefinity support.

Worst Game:
- Mass Effect 2, it's not an RPG for me.

Most Anticipated:
- Drakensang: The River of Time, actually I already got it and I'd vote it as #1 if it would have been there. Recommend to all BG style game lovers. Most of the issues of original Drakensang: The Dark Eye are fixed. TDE rocks. Lot of good games coming 2011 though.

1: DKS
2: DA Awakening
3: Fallout New Vegas

Worst: Arcania

Most Anticipated: The Witcher 2

1: Fallout: New Vegas
2: Alpha Protocol (I was seriously considering putting this in for #1 - I loved the crap out of this game)
3: Nehrim

Worst: Mass Effect 2 (it's not even an RPG and it's a pretty poor shooter too)

Most Anticipated: Age of Decadance (assuming it actually makes it out this year - otherwise would've been TES V)

The only "real" RPG I liked this year was Alpha Protocol. Number 2 and 3 are just random good games.

1. Alpha Protocol
2. Mass Effect 2 (a nice shooter)
3. DeathSpank (loved every minute of this little hack 'n' slash)

Worst: ArcaniA (by far, almost feels like a pro entering an amateur contest)

Most anticipated: The Witcher 2 (since no chance for Risen 2 in 2011)

Most anticipated: The Witcher 2 (since no chance for Risen 2 in 2011)

You can enter Risen 2 in the blank field if you want.
It's not clear it will come out in 2011 though, I think.

I always feel slightly underqualified with these polls when there's quite an array of games from the list I haven't played for 2010. ;)

Winners to:
1. New Vegas (This was everything that F3 wasn't to me - a breathtaking addicting experience with a significant increase in writing and story quality.)
2. Alpha Protocol (That's a double win for Obsidian - I'm glad this game got some love in this thread, as I played the hell out of it also. The wacky perks that were possible showed how reactive it was to the player. A real charmer.)

Wooden Spoon to: Arcania - certainly unworthy of the great Gothic moniker and a poor game overall.

Chomping at the bit for: The Witcher 2 and Risen 2.

I'm also not qualified at all but don't care, usually I don't vote for such stuff because too many people vote despite they don't have played much of the potential games this ending in a popularity vote. So it's logical that now I'm in the bad side I vote. ;)

Favorites:
1: Dragon Knight Saga

Despite the weakness it's just an incredible experience, a sort of mix between Gothic 2+Some of the best points of Morrowind+Some more qualities+Some weakness+Plus a special award for the Fantasy/original mood of many places.

I doubt any of the RPG I haven't played could take its place, perhaps Alpha Protocol but few chance because the gameplay weakness will probably spoil a part of my fun.

2: Din's Curse
Just the more fresh, new and fascinating gaming experience I have since... I don't remember. I wish some of the big team like Bioware give a look and try think copy and develop the ideas or get an inspiration from this dynamic quests game.

Again I don't see any that could take its place among those I haven't played, but perhaps Alpha Protocol and perhaps Fallout New Vegas but for this last one I think the fights won't be fun enough for me.

3: DAO Awakening
The only weakness of this one is to be a lot too short. That's been an important frustration, but that's also the hint that I really enjoyed it. Clearly Alpha Protocol or Fallout New Vegas could take its place (or not) if I had play them (play more for FNV). I could change my vote if I play one of them a lot before the vote date limit and feel it better.

The worst: None
I suppose Arcania is in the list more for winning this award. But I didn't even succeed played it. It seems have an incompatibility with my current computer, so I won't support it. Well in fact I saw the introduction, the dream part. If the game is all along like this crap then I would have vote for it.

2011 Most expected: The Witcher 2
In fact Torchlight 2 is a serious option for me, but I didn't hesitate too much because the focus is too much on multiplayer for Torchlight 2. But funnily that could make it the winner this year because I have never been fully satisfied by a game I expected a lot. In fact I didn't expected many because I never follow games releases a lot. But for all the followup that I expected it's been a sort of disappointment at different level. Quake, Civilization II or III, Baldur's Gate 2, Beyond Divinity, Gothic 3, Oblivion, King's Bounty Armored Princess, and some more I don't remember. Will The Witcher 2 be the first exception to the rule?

The game I liked most from that list is Warband without a doubt. However I mostly liked it for it's non-RPG elements, which were more than plenty, so I couldn't vote it RPG of the year and I went for NV instead.

I can't vote for worst game by the way… I find it reasonable enough to vote for 'best', even though I haven't played most of them, because if a game is truly 'Game of the Year' then it would have most probably managed to attract people's attention enough to know it (after all that's why I read forums like this). But I certainly hope that the worst of the year is one of those I haven't played.

Last edited:
I voted for Mass Effect 2. MAybe it's not as classically RPG as some of the others, but I easily had the most fun with it this year. Second was DKS for me, though I haven't finished it admittedly.

Many of these I haven't played, though.

I can't vote having a clear conscious. I'd have to had played all the games on the list to completion to vote "best" or "worst". Also, i doubt anyone has played all the games on the list to completion. So I think these kinds of polls are somewhat misrepresentative. But… I do REALLY appreciate people's opinions elucidated by the polls. It's the resulting ranking that is suspect.

Last edited:
I hope it's the last year I vote for "Age of Decadence" in the "most anticipated" category :D

I can't vote having a clear conscious. I'd have to had played all the games on the list to completion to vote "best" or "worst". Also, i doubt anyone has played all the games on the list to completion. So I think these kinds of polls are somewhat misrepresentative. But… I do REALLY appreciate people's opinions elucidated by the polls. It's the resulting ranking that is suspect.

This isn't a presidential election, it's just a vote for what game you think is the best. You can play a game halfway through or even a quarter of the way through and still vote. No law against thinking you had more fun on that quarter or half of a game than you did with the others.

Let's not get too anal retentive with these things shall we? They're just supposed to be fun little polls on what we think is the best and worst.

Give it a try. Live a little. Push a button and have some fun voting for which one you think kicked the others asses ;)

Well so you mean it's like a presidential election, you don't know more than 10% of the "nominee", of those 10% you know about 5% of their planned program, and anyway this won't stop people to vote. :)

Worst game ever in 2010: Arcanina (and I knew this from just playing the demo !) It has certainly made the Gothic series more accesible, but the characters were (are( blocky cardboard imitations, the dialogue is - ahem- awfull...

Anyway, DA: Awakening for best (I enjoyed this game a lot), Mass Effect 2 for second (really fun enjoyable action rpg) and Fallout: New Vegas for third.

Most anticipated for 2011:

Witcher 2

Favorites
DA:Awakening
Divinity 2
New Vegas

Least favorite RPG
Mass Effect 2 : It's an enjoyable shooter with a bad main story (compaired to ME1), but I wouldn't call it an RPG.

Most anticipated
TES V : Skyrim : I loved Morrowind and I loved Oblivion. I'm looking forward to sink another couple of hundred hours into the next game of the series.

1) Mass Effect 2
2) Fallout: New Vegas
3) Alpha Protocol

New Vegas might still have some chance for 1st place but I haven't finished it yet.

Worst? Nothing that I played... I guess I could choose Arcania just to rub it in, but I won't, heh, heh.

Most anticipated: Witcher 2

1. New Vegas - hands down the best RPG I've played in a long time. Bethesda's great looking engine and open ended mechanics combined with Obsidian's witty dialog, interesting quests, twisted sense of humor, and excellent story.

2. Eschalon book 2 - I'm surprised more people didn't vote for this one. It's far from the most amazing game I've ever played but while voting I remembered how I just couldn't stop playing it. I'd love to see a more complex game and larger world with more locations with this engine and old school vibe.

3. Alpha Protocol - Just started playing this and it's really a fun game with great interactive dialog. There are quirks but you get used to them. Certainly more than a dash of Deus Ex and some Splinter Cell mixed in as well.

Two Obsidian games - I really look forward to their upcoming releases.

Best RPG experience of 2010 in my opinion / experience

1/ Alpha Protocol (despite all the trolling out there, it is a great cRPG, not as good as Deus Ex, but still)
2/ Fallout New Vegas (I am a Fallout 1/2 fan for life, so after the Fallout 3 disaster, this opus restored some faith in humanity in me)
3/ Mass Effect 2 (actually needed to play it several times, with DLC, before I really learned to appreciate it as a cRPG)

Worst experience

Arcania (dumb, dumber, dumbest, where will it actually stop ?)

Most anticipated

The Witcher 2 (don't disappoint me!)

Back
Top Bottom