KoA: Reckoning - Interrogation Room @ GameSpy

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpy has an "Interrogation Room" piece on Reckoning with two editors discussing the game together. There's really nothing new but it does give an overview:
Eric Neigher: Hmmm, I've often wondered about putting an honest-to-goodness fighting system in an RPG, or even an action-RPG, but it's hard to duplicate that Bayonetta perfection without a lot of trial-and-error. Tekken seems like it might be kinda button-mashy for an RPG system, but hey, that's better than The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion's mouse-swing thing. So how about the storyline itself? R.A. Salvatore is a pretty well-known dude, and Todd McFarlane and all his Spawn stuff is involved. What's the tone of the game?

Gus Mastrapa: Reckoning doesn't look like Spawn at all, which is appropriate. You may remember that Todd McFarlane also did some art for the aborted Ultima Online 2 back in the day; the look of this game seems like a continuation of that train of thought. Though if you look closely, you can certainly see some of McFarlane's style come through in the universe. During one dungeon crawl, I saw characters called Bolgans, which were pink, tubby brutes not too dissimilar to the grotesque Clown from Spawn. R.A. Salvatore's contribution to the game feels even bigger: The author cooked up a 10,000-year history for the world of Amalur. 38 Studios' long-gestating MMO project will take place in the same universe, albeit sometime in the future. Reckoning's focus is on one hero's contribution to the history of the realm. With an open world and 100 hours of gameplay, it feels like you get to write that history as you see fit.
More information.

The game looks pretty and sounds interesting (as a pure action rpg) but what I've heard of the combat system kinda scares me. I dislike (and suck, not sure which causes which) at combo/chain attack type fighting games. I just don't enjoy learning how to chain 4-5 (or more) different attacks in the right order to get that super attack at the end. It's annoying and I just won't do it. :p From what I've read that's where they're going with the combat for this game. I don't want your fighting game in my rpg thank you. (Yes, I'm old and change frightens me).

The game looks pretty and sounds interesting (as a pure action rpg) but what I've heard of the combat system kinda scares me. I dislike (and suck, not sure which causes which) at combo/chain attack type fighting games. I just don't enjoy learning how to chain 4-5 (or more) different attacks in the right order to get that super attack at the end. It's annoying and I just won't do it. :p From what I've read that's where they're going with the combat for this game. I don't want your fighting game in my rpg thank you. (Yes, I'm old and change frightens me).

Yes, thank you. I feel the same way. Looks like I've been pushed out of the market as far as day one game purchases for my favorite genre pastime.

Buy Ninja Gaiden for training and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to handle this one just fine.

Never heard about a game called "Ninja Garden" for the PC platform.

Back
Top Bottom