Dragon Age: Inquisition - Editorial @ Eurogamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer has a new article about Dragon Age: Inquisition being one of the most anticipated games of 2014.

Fortunately, the signs are good. The game was delayed a year to autumn 2014 so that multiple playable races, among other things, could be added. 'That's what the core audience wanted,' BioWare said, and 'we've listened' - 'we know you didn't really like Dragon Age 2, so Inquisition will be more like Origins'. Party members in Inquisition are customisable, as is the historical state of the world. There's base building, a base-camp replacement that will make you "freak out", there's a tactical view, there are numerous varied environments, there are mounts, it's open-world - tick, check, tick, check and everyone should be happy.

Inquisition should also finally bring the Dragon Age series onto a visual par with the stunning sci-fi Mass Effect series, now DICE's capable Frostbite 3 engine underpins the action - and the video evidence we've seen so far backs this up. Whether developing the game for five platforms - PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and Xbox 360 - simultaneously causes problems, we'll have to wait and see.

All of that wrapped in the kind of emotional adventure BioWare is famed for. It will be good, but can it be great?
More information.

I am not sure I would want to play as the main villain race from DA2... but whatevs.

we know you didn't really like Dragon Age 2, so Inquisition will be more like Origins

This is enough to me. DA2 was a horrid experience after the epicness of Origins. Here's hoping.

This is enough to me. DA2 was a horrid experience after the epicness of Origins. Here's hoping.

I never understood all the hate for DA2. DA1 was lot better than DA2 but DA2 certainly wasn't "horrid" for me!

There seems to be a lot more freedom compared to the previous games, and the visuals are a step up both technically and artistically imo.

I'm not impressed by what I've seen of the combat though. It looks even more actiony than DA2 was.

BioWare's games have gotten increasingly linear and uninteresting for me during the last decade, with DA:O being a strange outlier. Therefore I'll take any information on DA:I with more than a grain salt, especially since PR-people aren't really known for being avatars of truthfulness.

I am not sure I would want to play as the main villain race from DA2… but whatevs.

You don't have to, but you do realize this isn't an good vs evil thing.

All I know is I'm probably going to have a playthrough as a qunari, and play it as I believe Sten from origins would.

All I know is I'm probably going to have a playthrough as a qunari, and play it as I believe Sten from origins would.

Saying No! to everyone you see...

Note that the Qunari you are going to be play is technically a Tal-Vashoth, not a follower of the Qun like Sten (or like a Sten, because it's a military rank not a name).

I never understood all the hate for DA2. DA1 was lot better than DA2 but DA2 certainly wasn't "horrid" for me!

Jezzz fricking Louise. How many times it has to be said? Just because somebody didn't like DA2 doesn't mean that they have to hate it. You're an RPG fundamentalist or something? Those who don't think exactly like me are all haters?

Jezzz fricking Louise. How many times it has to be said? Just because somebody didn't like DA2 doesn't mean that they have to hate it. You're an RPG fundamentalist or something? Those who don't think exactly like me are all haters?

Huh? if someone find something "horrid" then surly they hate it? Or is my English failing me?

There seems to be a lot more freedom compared to the previous games, and the visuals are a step up both technically and artistically imo.

I'm not impressed by what I've seen of the combat though. It looks even more actiony than DA2 was.

Thought I read in another post that you never played DA2?

Thought I read in another post that you never played DA2?

When I say "played", I'm usually referring to a full playthrough. Of course I've tried DA2, it's a Bioware game after all.

That said, a fan of DA:O wouldn't even need to play it to see the difference.

To be fair, lostforever is right. DA2 did get a lot of outright hate - not specifically on the boards here, but overall. People were very passionate with their feelings about that game - I've seen many angry hyperbolic tirades about "worst game ever" and "never buying another Bioware game again"... probably moreso than any other game in recent memory.

By comparison, a lot of people didn't like Dark Souls either, but the reactions were more along the line of "I couldn't get into it" or "it wasn't for me."

And I agree with his assessment - it was a ho-hum game with wasted potential, but not horrible; I enjoyed DA2 for what it was but wished for more. I'm looking forward to the new game though.

By comparison, a lot of people didn't like Dark Souls either, but the reactions were more along the line of "I couldn't get into it" or "it wasn't for me."

That's a poor comparison. Dark Souls wasn't a sequel to an extremely successful and popular RPG. DA2 was, and it was very different from its predecessor in a way that many fans didn't like.

*hands out chill pills*
Please read in context before jumping to conclusions. My so called horrid experience was comparing the the original game, hence my sentence "DA2 was a horrid experience after the epicness of Origins". I also fail to see what part of horrid equals to hate, that's a pretty strong word to use. I disliked the game for several reasons but I would never say I hate it.
Remember there is a large gap between love and hate when people express themselves.

horrid-inspiring disgust or loathing

hate-extreme dislike or antipathy

Yes, it would be very hard to tie horrid and hate together ;)

crpgnut-idiot who thinks he's funny :p

And the fifty episode product hype cycle continues...

One thing is for certain: I won't be buying this on first release.

And the fifty episode product hype cycle continues…

One thing is for certain: I won't be buying this on first release.
I tell myself that also but so far I like what I see. It's getting harder not to pre-order especially knowing some part of the game will be cut out for DLC.

Won't be the first game I wasted $60 on, and wont be the last.:brood:

*hands out chill pills*
Please read in context before jumping to conclusions. My so called horrid experience was comparing the the original game, hence my sentence "DA2 was a horrid experience after the epicness of Origins". I also fail to see what part of horrid equals to hate, that's a pretty strong word to use. I disliked the game for several reasons but I would never say I hate it.
Remember there is a large gap between love and hate when people express themselves.

Initially my use of the word "hate" was off the cuff remark and wasn't really aimed at you personally but rather aimed at people in general who always put down DA2. I do understand "hate" is strong word to use in real life but I thought it was used regularly on the internet to mean "dislike". Apologies if I caused any offence :)

Nah, none taken..I just love to express myself :evilgrin:
Also you're right that hate is an easily used expression on the internet. We'll probably have another wave of haters as well when DA 3 comes, no matter how good or bad it is, but such is the way of this spidery web

Back
Top Bottom