Neo Scavenger - Impression @ RPS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun takes a look at the post-apocalyptic RPG Neo Scavenger

Neo Scavenger has a large and generous demo. I’ll be hugely offended if you decide to go and play with that instead of reading all of these words but I’ll be sure to remind you of its existence at the end.

Unlike a reality television star, I mostly die from exposure rather than a lack of it*. Every playthrough of Neo Scavenger begins the same way – you awake, confused and afraid, in a small room within a medical facility. There’s a monster clawing at the other side of the door. Far from being a metaphorical depiction of terminal illness or the deadly price of health insurance, the monster is a bipedal canine. The claws that it is using to claw at the door also fail to be metaphors. Neo Scavenger has only just begun and already, something wants to eat you.

Your tissue-thin garment won’t protect you. It doesn’t even protect your dignity, being one of those bum-revealing tissue-thin gowns that cause me to childishly giggle at even the bleakest hospital-set dramas or apocalyptic horror-shows. Neo Scavenger explains the dire situation with a couple of paragraphs of text and a couple of images, and then it leaves you to make the first choice of many.

How will you survive?
More information.

Sounds really great. Had an eye on this game for quite a while but as it's early access only I haven't taken a look at it yet.

Glad to hear that it offers a lot of fun by the definition of Dwarf Fortress
I also welcome that it seems to have a story arc and isn't just a sandbox like DayZ or MineCraft where you "beat" the game once you have a house essentially.

I've only played the demo 4 times now. Died miserably fairly early in 3 of those times. I almost quit and never played again after the first time but gave it another chance and it grows on you. I did pretty well (as in finding decent clothes, weapon, and light source) in the 4th try until a filthy unarmed bandit managed to blind me before I killed him. Being blind is no way to go through life in a post-apoc world.

It's a very brutal game. I wish some of the controls/interface were easier to understand but I might just be an idiot. If you can get past the clunky interface and low-fi graphics there's a very neat little survival sim with a storyline to go with it here.

I like it & will probably end up buying into the beta just to support it.

I think I said it before, but this would be a PERFECT iPad game, and they chose to write the game in flash (DOH!). Still, an excellent entry in a rather empty sub-genre.

Hey, that was pretty fun. I died to my first rifle-wielding bandit, but I liked the combat. Can't beat dying is such a detailed and descriptive way. I may have to throw a sawbuck the developer's way to support this kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom